Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with temps here in Texas, 90 miles north of Hoston, 100+ (temp on dash shows 109) and using ac going home my MPG is lousy. from start the instantaneous hovers around mid 30s mpg on short trip: ie 5 to 6 miles. but I offset it with mid 50s going to work without ac.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Be careful going without AC - you could inadvertantly damage your hybrid battery with high temps. Also - I live in Florida, and we have had above 95 temps frequently here as well.. What I have noticed helps is turning the blower down and not let it go full blast.. it's a bit more uncomfortable, but it evens out if you are on a longer drive..

·
Registered
336 Posts
Memphis area, my 45 minute trips to work in this 90 degree plus heat for the last month and a half, I have zero drop in MPG. I keep my car in eco mode and set to 68-70. I know eco mode calms the system, but it is still running the whole trip. Scrolling back the last two years, during the summer was my best MPG.

Do not know what to tell you. Have you sacrificed enough goats to Chutulu to please him to granting you better MPG?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Be careful going without AC - you could inadvertantly damage your hybrid battery with high temps. Also - I live in Florida, and we have had above 95 temps frequently here as well.. What I have noticed helps is turning the blower down and not let it go full blast.. it's a bit more uncomfortable, but it evens out if you are on a longer drive..
oh the no ac morning drive is a "cool" 80. I have it in auto set at 77. I'll try manual speed and see what that does. thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
with temps here in Texas, 90 miles north of Hoston, 100+ (temp on dash shows 109) and using ac going home my MPG is lousy. from start the instantaneous hovers around mid 30s mpg on short trip: ie 5 to 6 miles. but I offset it with mid 50s going to work without ac.
The AC isn’t the issue with the low mpg. It’s the very high temps outside combined with the small trip distance, especially if the car is parked in the sun. The car is designed to use the battery very little as the temps reach above 95. This is to protect the battery from heat damage. 5-6 miles is not enough to cool the cabin and battery down much so the engine is running almost the entire time, thus the lower mileage. Once the temp hits above 95 on my dash, the car is noticeably sluggish to accelerate and the battery very slow to gain a charge, especially before the AC has had time to cool the interior down (remember the battery is cooled only by air being pulled in from the interior).

Tint your windows if you haven’t yet and use a sunshade for the windshield. I’ve found that helps. Don’t make yourself suffer with no AC or the temp set higher because you are actually prolonging the time the battery will be too hot to be used. I can get 58-60mpg as long as the outside temp stays below 95 and I always have the AC set to 70 on auto.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The AC isn’t the issue with the low mpg. It’s the very high temps outside combined with the small trip distance, especially if the car is parked in the sun. The car is designed to use the battery very little as the temps reach above 95. This is to protect the battery from heat damage. 5-6 miles is not enough to cool the cabin and battery down much so the engine is running almost the entire time, thus the lower mileage. Once the temp hits above 95 on my dash, the car is noticeably sluggish to accelerate and the battery very slow to gain a charge, especially before the AC has had time to cool the interior down (remember the battery is cooled only by air being pulled in from the interior).

Tint your windows if you haven’t yet and use a sunshade for the windshield. I’ve found that helps. Don’t make yourself suffer with no AC or the temp set higher because you are actually prolonging the time the battery will be too hot to be used. I can get 58-60mpg as long as the outside temp stays below 95 and I always have the AC set to 70 on auto.
hey thanks for the information. I didn't know the car would run on ICE to save battery when it is really hot outside and it is out in direct sun all day. windows are tinted and I use a sunshade and have windows down for 15 minutes before driving off.

·
Registered
2021 Insight EX
118 Posts
I usually use my FOB and roll down the windows about 30 minutes before going to work. Cooling the car from 90 to 70 is a lot easier on it than cooling it from 150 to 70.
I had no idea. I googled the topic and found a vid that explains that if you press the unlock, release, and then hold it, the windows will open remotely. I'm gobsmacked.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had no idea. I googled the topic and found a vid that explains that if you press the unlock, release, and then hold it, the windows will open remotely. I'm gobsmacked.
Yep, it’s a neat feature though I’ve only used it once. They took the idea from VW/Audi.

Reactions: Insight_Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried it today, that is so cool. I have a touring and it also opens moon roof. thanks for posting this saves me the hassle of doing it manually

1 - 12 of 12 Posts