Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be really late to this one but I always thought the HVAC system needs to be on for the rear & side mirror defrosters to work. Had fog only on the rear glass tonight and out of curiosity I pushed the rear defroster button with the HVAC off. The fog went away and my car stayed in EV mode.

^Passive heater trick + Rear defroster on while HVAC off to maintain EV mode. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Makes sense, since the rear defroster and heated side mirrors are electrically operated, and pressing the rear defroster button is independent of the climate control.

The heated door mirrors can self-activate for 10 minutes at a time (without pressing rear defroster button) when the car is powered ON and when outside temperature is <41F (OM p202). But as mentioned in the Passive Heating thread, my experience so far is that the self-activation for the side mirrors doesn't occur when the cabin climate control is off (passive heating).

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yep, now I know this I will also make sure the rear defroster light is off once the fog clears considering the owner's manual does say it consumes a lot of power. All those times this year where I had the rear defroster light on while the HVAC is off thinking everything was off... :(

Why did nobody mention this, here? :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts