Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Insight so far, but if I was to make a list of things I would change.....

1. No place for my sunglasses. Make a small holder.

2. The owners manual does not display the charging/gas motor states in colour. My screen in my car shows blue and green charging.....the manual only shows grey.....it's confusing to understand.

3. A larger change holder in the middle console

4. The loud revs when going up a steep hill. A tach would be nice. I sometimes briefly switch to sport mode if I am going up a long hill.

·
Registered
31 Posts

4. The loud revs when going up a steep hill. A tach would be nice. I sometimes briefly switch to sport mode if I am going up a long hill.
#4 Yes, the main thing I would change

#1 I was missing this, too, but now what I do is use the cell phone spot for my glasses when I'm not driving. When I get in to drive I put on my glasses and plug in the phone. When I get to my destination I grab the phone and put the glasses back. I guess I don't drive too much at night.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thack,

All of what you stated were good points, though the number one issue for me by far is the loud revs when going up a steep hill. Incidentally loud revs can occasionally happen on flat roads when the battery power is temporarily low. Unlike almost every other car on the market, there is never a consistently long pattern of revs UNLESS one is traveling relatively slowly or is traveling with virtually no speed changes.

I love my Insight so far, but if I was to make a list of things I would change.....

2. The owners manual does not display the charging/gas motor states in colour. My screen in my car shows blue and green charging.....the manual only shows grey.....it's confusing to understand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A couple of solutions

I'm planning to get an Insight either this coming winter or next year, after the 2020s come out. Two things I will do are (1) mount a ScanGauge II somewhere on the under-lip of the dash, where it's out of the way but easily visible. You plug it into the car's OBD-II port, which is down under the dash and not hard to find. The mechanics plug into these ports to read the car's diagnostics. The ScanGauge can, among other things, display instantaneous RPM -- that is, it's a digital tach -- and engine coolant temperature, two things missing from the dashboard.

The other thing I will do (2) is get a spare tire and jack to mount in the trunk well. There is a good description of just how to do that by Goldy on the second page of the thread "Owner Manual is Terrible." He says that he spent less than $200 for the whole kit. Check it out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
...mount a ScanGauge II somewhere on the under-lip of the dash, where it's out of the way but easily visible. You plug it into the car's OBD-II port, which is down under the dash and not hard to find. The mechanics plug into these ports to read the car's diagnostics. The ScanGauge can, among other things, display instantaneous RPM -- that is, it's a digital tach -- and engine coolant temperature, two things missing from the dashboard...
I have used a ScanGuage II for years. I even made some custom programs for a couple of vehicles in it. I currently have it in our RV. I agree that it would be nice to use for the RPM and a few other items, I just can't bring myself to mount it in a newer car. It looks like 20 year old tech. If they could make it more aesthetically pleasing, I would consider it.

UltraGauge makes one that is far more pleasing on the eyes and costs a lot less as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. definitely sucks not having but I use the second cupholder in the console most of the time or side door pocket if I need both or all 3 cupholders...

3. I bought one of these trays which is perfect for garage door opener, keys and change (only Touring and Civics have them) arrived via UPS in 2 days :) OEM Honda Part 83449-TBA-A01ZA | Tray *NH900L*

other than that, for me after a month of ownership, I would also agree to others/add to the list...

- I wish fog lights were standard on EX trim, now thats an $900 job I am really considering (only thing I wanted off the touring other than that $16 console tray.)

- sucks not having a spare tire but I think I prefer the added gas mileage benefit.

- rear facing air vents would have been a great addition, though perhaps were not added so as to not blow heat into the battery vent below the seats during colder months...

- I mostly drive alone but at least one passenger (out of maybe 6 or 7) mentioned how low their front seat is. I have sat in it and it seemed fine to me, so that person was just picky.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Don’t own one yet, but wish it had BSM, RCTA, and SGH.

What is SGH, you might ask?!

Sunglasses Holder!

Agree that a spare tire option or inclusion would be good. I’ve read elsewhere that the additional weight might cost less than 1/2 mpg, so it would be worth having!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It has one. But then where do you put your phone? I use the sliding tray in the center console, but I’m not sure every trim level has one.
I sacrifice part of my vent and use a magnetic phone holder. Because of the infotainment system I have to put the magnet all the way at the bottom of the phone but its been stable and I can still access the home button on the phone and even plug it in to the charger.

Putting the phone in the tray is just another of Insight’s “Big Brother” ways of keeping a driver on the straight and narrow....like making it hard to change lanes without signaling. Hahah

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great idea! I read about people putting it in the phone area (it has one, right?). Or, was that for the Prius?!
It has one. But then where do you put your phone? I use the sliding tray in the center console, but I’m not sure every trim level has one.
If you mean that rectangle tray I think it’s only on theTouring trim. I had to order that from a Honda parts dealer for my EX. Either they didn’t have them or my dealer may have taken it out to sell a Civic that didn’t have one. At any rate was just $20 and 2 days to wait for UPS.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The thing I want the most and almost made me buy the Accord instead is a HUD. With all the gadgets this car had I couldn't believe a HUD wasn't available. I'm hoping the car does well so they might introduce this in a later model I can upgrade to.😊

·
Registered
74 Posts
The one thing I would do was add a sunglasses holder to the roof. Yeah you can get clip on things or store in a cup holder like I do but it would have been nice to have .

Also the EX trim should have included Fog lights as that’s the only thing I am heavily considering to have installed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,064 Posts
1. Adjustable lumbar support

2. Proper spare tire

3. Passenger seat height adjustment
I solved #2 relatively easily. I visited a local wrecking yard and scored a temporary spare (never been on the ground) from a 2016 Civic along with the tool kit and foam holder. All this fits PERFECTLY in the Insight. Total cost was $110.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's something that is odd and only mildly annoying. The wipers do not overlap at the bottom. They leave a narrow curved region unwiped, it runs approx. 6 inches high.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I'm dictating a Siri request and I activate my right turn signal, the Siri request gets canceled because the LaneWatch camera overrides whatever the Display Audio system is doing. Once the LaneWatch turns off, I have to re-initiate the request.

I actually turned off my LaneWatch camera because of this. I send text messages to my carpool partner to let him know of my arrival while I am turning onto his street.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bluetooth blocks phone audio even if car radio is off. I think this is an outright bug, not just a bad "feature".
Phone and car are paired by bluetooth. I am listening to car radio. I pick up phone to send a text message by speaking. Google should prompt me by audio: "is this this the person you want to send to?", then I speak the message and it prompts "you said blah blah blah, would you like to send it?"
The problem is, I do not hear those prompts unless I have the bluetooth connection currently active - that is, unless I am listening to audio using bluetooth.
As stated, if listening to radio, or if radio is turned off, I hear nothing.
Of course bluetooth phone call does work as it should.

Don't even ask about using Android Auto - I think it's pretty awful.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts