Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF YOU HAVEN'T PURCHASED YOUR INSIGHT YET, below is a suggested check list to go through before you make the final purchase. These are things I should have checked, but didn't and it's always an after the fact thought.

That said, when you’ve found the car you want check for the following;

1. Build Sheet - Honda sheet stuck to the window listing The Standard Features, MSRP, Fuel Economy, Designated Dealer and VIN#. If the designated dealer is NOT the one you’re at, the car may have been a trade. I test drove a different color car and wanted the Orchid White. The dealer did not have it in stock, but said they could get one from another dealer 15 minutes away. When I picked up the car the following day the Designated Dealer on the Build Sheet was not the one my dealer got it from, but it was 50 miles away. Apparently it was a trade from the originating dealer to the one my dealer acquired it from. Therefore, it had traded hands twice before coming to me. When I received the car it had 69 miles on it which accounts for the mileage.
  2. Date of Manufacture - It will be noted by month/year on the label that is attached to the drivers side door pillar. You will want to know this as it may indicate how long the car has been sitting on the dealers lot. The date of mfg for my car was 11/18 (Nov 2018). I purchased and signed the papers for the car on 3/29/19 and I picked it up on 3/30/19. That said, the car had sat on the dealers lot for 4 months.
  3. Vin# - Located on the Build Sheet, Label on drivers door pillar & drivers side of dash in the corner right below the windshield. From the VIN# you will be able to tell what the Production Number is - it will be the last 6 digits of the VIN#. My production number is 19,150
  4. Look over every inch of the car BOTH inside/out for any defects. I made the mistake of just quickly glancing over the car only looking for the more obvious things such as color mis-match (possible body repair), scratches, door dings etc. What I ended up missing was a small dent or imperfection right where the trunk lid folds over. It's very small and depending on lighting conditions it's easy to miss and doesn't stand out. However now that I know it's there it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I may be anal, as a matter of fact I am, however when you buy a new car you want it to be perfect. I ended up with a car built 4 months prior, was traded amongst two dealers, had 69 miles clocked and had a body imperfection on it.
  5. Had I checked what I'm suggesting, I would have waited for the dealers next shipment for a later production. If I wanted a better deal on a 2019 I should have waited for when the 2020 models hit the dealers because they will be wanting to get them off their lots for the new inventory. Or better yet I should have just waited 3 more months (Since I wasn't in any rush) and gotten a 2020 as I'm sure it will have some added features - very possibly some that the Japanese version has such as BSM and that beautiful front grill.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
IF YOU HAVEN'T PURCHASED YOUR INSIGHT YET, below is a suggested check list to go through before you make the final purchase. These are things I should have checked, but didn't and it's always an after the fact thought.

That said, when you’ve found the car you want check for the following;

1. Build Sheet - Honda sheet stuck to the window listing The Standard Features, MSRP, Fuel Economy, Designated Dealer and VIN#. If the designated dealer is NOT the one you’re at, the car may have been a trade. I test drove a different color car and wanted the Orchid White. The dealer did not have it in stock, but said they could get one from another dealer 15 minutes away. When I picked up the car the following day the Designated Dealer on the Build Sheet was not the one my dealer got it from, but it was 50 miles away. Apparently it was a trade from the originating dealer to the one my dealer acquired it from. Therefore, it had traded hands twice before coming to me. When I received the car it had 69 miles on it which accounts for the mileage.
  2. Date of Manufacture - It will be noted by month/year on the label that is attached to the drivers side door pillar. You will want to know this as it may indicate how long the car has been sitting on the dealers lot. The date of mfg for my car was 11/18 (Nov 2018). I purchased and signed the papers for the car on 3/29/19 and I picked it up on 3/30/19. That said, the car had sat on the dealers lot for 4 months.
  3. Vin# - Located on the Build Sheet, Label on drivers door pillar & drivers side of dash in the corner right below the windshield. From the VIN# you will be able to tell what the Production Number is - it will be the last 6 digits of the VIN#. My production number is 19,150
  4. Look over every inch of the car BOTH inside/out for any defects. I made the mistake of just quickly glancing over the car only looking for the more obvious things such as color mis-match (possible body repair), scratches, door dings etc. What I ended up missing was a small dent or imperfection right where the trunk lid folds over. It's very small and depending on lighting conditions it's easy to miss and doesn't stand out. However now that I know it's there it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I may be anal, as a matter of fact I am, however when you buy a new car you want it to be perfect. I ended up with a car built 4 months prior, was traded amongst two dealers, had 69 miles clocked and had a body imperfection on it.
  5. Had I checked what I'm suggesting, I would have waited for the dealers next shipment for a later production. If I wanted a better deal on a 2019 I should have waited for when the 2020 models hit the dealers because they will be wanting to get them off their lots for the new inventory. Or better yet I should have just waited 3 more months (Since I wasn't in any rush) and gotten a 2020 as I'm sure it will have some added features - very possibly some that the Japanese version has such as BSM and that beautiful front grill.
I sort of lucked out that my car was just sitting at an offsite storage facility. That same storage facility was also where my previous Civic came from 10 years ago at a different dealership. I guess multiple Honda dealerships use that storage facility. My Civic was delivered with 20 miles and my Insight was delivered with 25 miles(sounds about right since the Insight dealership is further away and they actually drove the car back to the dealership). I heard it takes a couple of weeks for a car to be deliver to a dealership so it probably sat for 3 months instead of 4 months. Mine was probably in storage for 2 months instead of 3 months, too.

You do make a good point about checking the car for defects before driving off the lot. Also to take delivery during the day instead of at night so you can find defects easier. How come you didn't bring the car back and ask the dealership to fix the dent?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dealer said they won’t fix damages once the car is taken off the lot. It’s small, about 1/2 size of an eraser head. Whatever it’s from looks like it was painted over rather than made after paint. To repair it the paint wouldn’t match so just leaving well enough alone.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
FYI - every Honda I've owned has been delivered to me with 12 miles on it, and I've purchased from different dealers/states over time. It's been explained to me as standard pre-testing done at Honda before delivery. My Insight was newly produced and fresh from the trailer (not yet on lot). I expected it to have 0 miles but it again had 12 miles upon delivery. Net, when looking at Honda's, I back out 10-12 miles from a new car's odometer to tell how many actual driven miles it has on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
Dealer said they won’t fix damages once the car is taken off the lot. It’s small, about 1/2 size of an eraser head. Whatever it’s from looks like it was painted over rather than made after paint. To repair it the paint wouldn’t match so just leaving well enough alone.
I wonder if your dealership knew about it when detailing the car for delivery and decided to paint over it. I would assume something like a paintless dent removal will fix a small ding on the trunk lip.

·
Registered
133 Posts
FYI - every Honda I've owned has been delivered to me with 12 miles on it, and I've purchased from different dealers/states over time. It's been explained to me as standard pre-testing done at Honda before delivery. My Insight was newly produced and fresh from the trailer (not yet on lot). I expected it to have 0 miles but it again had 12 miles upon delivery. Net, when looking at Honda's, I back out 10-12 miles from a new car's odometer to tell how many actual driven miles it has on it.
My car didn’t get the pre-testing then as it had 4 miles officially. And then another 4 was put on by the salesman. So, 8 when I left the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
My car didn’t get the pre-testing then as it had 4 miles officially. And then another 4 was put on by the salesman. So, 8 when I left the dealer.
Did you get the Insight PDI(pre-delivery inspection) booklet? I have attached some photos of mine below.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you get the Insight PDI(pre-delivery inspection) booklet? I have attached some photos of mine below.
I'm sure they didn't check #2 Vehicle Exterior (Check paint finish for dents, dings etc...) - they missed this dent here. I didn't notice it until the next day when I pulled the car out of the garage. The photo was taken when I first brought the car home. :sad:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Nope, never seen that booklet. I wouldn't think that would be given to the customer normally.
Check glovebox. Mine was packed in plastic bag, placed alongside the Owners Guide in glovebox. If it's not there, dealer also is required to keep a hard copy of the document in your purchase records and you can request it.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
did you get the insight pdi(pre-delivery inspection) booklet? I have attached some photos of mine below.
nope, never seen that booklet. I wouldn't think that would be given to the customer normally.
If the checklist doesn't show up in your glovebox from dealer, I saw that the PDI is available for order ($35) on the Helm site (where physical copies of documents can be ordered). However, since this is a dealer delivery checklist (and since you just paid $25k+ for a car), it seems worth checking with dealer for a copy.

2019 Insight PDI Checklist - Helm Incorporated

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm sure they didn't check #2 Vehicle Exterior (Check paint finish for dents, dings etc...) - they missed this dent here. I didn't notice it until the next day when I pulled the car out of the garage. The photo was taken when I first brought the car home. :sad:
That location is a pita to repair without filler. The smaller the dent, the harder to fix. And body lines are already work hardened. Honestly and I know this sounds harsh, but be glad the dealership didn't try to fix it and then sell you the car. Who wants a new car that has already had body filler?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts