Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed another strange thing tonight. There is a very quiet ticking noise. It seemed to have gotten louder at one point while sitting at a light. All environmental controls off radio turned down. Then before I got out, I itch the car off I noticed it again but very very faint.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I noticed another strange thing tonight. There is a very quiet ticking noise. It seemed to have gotten louder at one point while sitting at a light. All environmental controls off radio turned down. Then before I got out, I itch the car off I noticed it again but very very faint.
Does the ticking noise come from a certain part/side/location of the car? Not sure about noise while running, but there was another thread that talked about a buzzing sound (fuel evaporation leakage check) after the car is shut off. Is the sound/issue similar to what you're hearing? https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7.../256-odd-buzzing-sound-when-car-off-idle.html

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s sounds like it’s coming from the dash. Maybe being reflected by the windshield. I thought it may have been coming from the teeeters but I couldn’t locate it. I will make more observations as I have more time in it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
My Insight has this ticking noise, too. Seems to be coming from inside the dashboard. I notice it usually when I turn off the car. It goes away a couple of seconds later.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Insight has this ticking noise, too. Seems to be coming from inside the dashboard. I notice it usually when I turn off the car. It goes away a couple of seconds later.
Been a while since I posted about this. But I haven’t heard it doing this at all lately. Strange little car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the ticking noise come from a certain part/side/location of the car? Not sure about noise while running, but there was another thread that talked about a buzzing sound (fuel evaporation leakage check) after the car is shut off. Is the sound/issue similar to what you're hearing? Evaporation Leak Check Module - buzzing sound when car is off and idle?
I noticed a similar rattling when I turned my radio off and had the air on. It was also making the same noise for another 2 min after I shut the car off. I want to upload a video of the sound but I’m a new member. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to upload one here? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the ticking noise come from a certain part/side/location of the car? Not sure about noise while running, but there was another thread that talked about a buzzing sound (fuel evaporation leakage check) after the car is shut off. Is the sound/issue similar to what you're hearing? Evaporation Leak Check Module - buzzing sound when car is off and idle?
I noticed a similar rattling when I turned my radio off and had the air on. It was also making the same noise for another 2 min after I shut the car off. I want to upload a video of the sound but I’m a new member. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to upload one here? Thanks in advance.
Lol I forgot about that! No it’s an electronic ticking noise. Strangely enough - I don’t hear it anymore. Only when the car was brand new.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
373 Posts
Wow this just happened to me. I was just idling (ICE off, HVAC off, stereo off) and it became a clicking concert. Noises where coming from all over the dashboard with a variety of sounds and a variety of tempo... really like a concert. These "clicks" sounded like the autofocus noise on a DSLR or a camera (like in the movies where the security camera zooms in). VERY VERY strange. Never heard those before. Seems like they are gone after my trip. But it did sound unhealthy. And coming from various places under the dashboard.

Note: this is not the turning on/ turning off the car clicks. I know them very well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
Wow this just happened to me. I was just idling (ICE off, HVAC off, stereo off) and it became a clicking concert. Noises where coming from all over the dashboard with a variety of sounds and a variety of tempo... really like a concert. These "clicks" sounded like the autofocus noise on a DSLR or a camera (like in the movies where the security camera zooms in). VERY VERY strange. Never heard those before. Seems like they are gone after my trip. But it did sound unhealthy. And coming from various places under the dashboard.

Note: this is not the turning on/ turning off the car clicks. I know them very well.
I found out these clicks are normal and just the power relays being adjusted(switching circuits on/off) as power demand changes.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts

To confirm - you were idling and power was already on (versus fully stopped and power off) when this happened... and perhaps audio volume fully off as well? Was this idling shortly after start-up or was it later during active driving (like stopped at a light)?
  • The 'autofocus noise' description reminds me of parking brake; did you notice any lights come on in the dash (e.g. brake)?
  • Relay checks should occur when starting up the car, not after powered on and actively running; it almost sounds like something caused power loss or disruption (?). Did you notice any power loss or screens blinking when this happened?
  • Do you have an AGM battery tester or volt meter, to check the health of your 12V battery? If not, maybe you can add this to the list for dealer to check at upcoming 1st maintenance appointment... even if it only occurred once.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I found out these clicks are normal and just the power relays being adjusted(switching circuits on/off) as power demand changes.
Watched the video twice, but mostly picked up 'relay checks at start-up' being normal. Was there a section of the video that mentioned relay checks while car is actively running (idling) mid-drive?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
I posted that video to show the clicking noise is coming from the relays.

Relays are switches controlled by electrical power, like another switch, computer or control module. The purpose of an automotive relay is to automate this power to switch electrical circuits on and off at particular times. However, the real benefit behind a relay is more than just automation; they also provide the ability to switch multiple circuits, including different voltage types, within the same relay at the same time.

12V DC relay switches are the best solution for full voltage applications, as they allow a low current flow circuit to control a high current flow circuit, like a vehicle’s horn, headlights, auxiliary lamps, fan motors, blower motors and countless pieces of equipment existing on vehicles today.
My guess is that with hvac off and radio off while idling in EV mode the car's computer was adjusting the current from high to low from multiple relay switches.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It happened with the car completely started but ICE was off. I don't think I had driven anywhere at this point but I could be wrong. It's not the parking brake noise or any of the starting/ turning off clicks.

It happened after I switched my OBD bluetooth reader to a different one... really hope it's a coincidence because it sounded like the system was going haywire. I switched from a very cheap one to a Veepeak so it should be of better quality... now I'm thinking I kind of had issues inserting it properly... maybe some pins were not properly connected at some point? Ugh. But then I disconnected it and the noises kept going.

Sorry for all the edits, I'm done.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
It happened with the car completely started but ICE was off. I don't think I had driven anywhere at this point but I could be wrong. It's not the parking brake noise or any of the starting/ turning off clicks.
Interesting... definitely sounds like different condition than the normal start-up relay checks. Hopefully the camera connection is something easy to check/confirm.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Interesting... definitely sounds like different condition than the normal start-up relay checks. Hopefully the camera connection is something easy to check/confirm.
Just to be clear there is no camera involved, it was my attempt to describe the noise!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok!! I got the noise on video.. I hadn't heard it since my first post in Feb 2019!! It randomly showed up and I now have it on video/audio..

So many months later.. When I turn my car on and off you will hear my dashcam.. sorry about that..

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Ok!! I got the noise on video.. I hadn't heard it since my first post in Feb 2019!! It randomly showed up and I now have it on video/audio..
I think I hear it (maybe? subtle?) - is it like the constant/steady ticking of an old fashioned wind-up alarm clock, and did I hear it continue even after car was off? Almost reminded me a little bit of metal expansion sounds (?).

(And thanks for clarifying that the chiming at start-up and shut down were from your dash cam. I was gonna say that my chimes don't sound like that, ha.)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
@Mobilcams Yep, that's the tick noise I hear sometimes in my Insight.

Maybe @pasei is hearing a different noise. It shouldn't be constantly ticking where it plays like a concert or a different tempo now that I think about it.
It happened after I switched my OBD bluetooth reader to a different one... really hope it's a coincidence because it sounded like the system was going haywire. I switched from a very cheap one to a Veepeak so it should be of better quality... now I'm thinking I kind of had issues inserting it properly... maybe some pins were not properly connected at some point? Ugh. But then I disconnected it and the noises kept going.
(From Owners Manual) The on-board diagnostic port (OBD-II/SAE J1962 connector) installed on this vehicle is intended to be used with automobile system diagnostic devices or with other devices that Honda has approved. Use of any other type of device may adversely affect the vehicle’s electronic systems or allow them to be compromised, possibly resulting in a system malfunction, drained battery, or other unexpected problems.
Honda does provide the above warning in the owner's manual. I also remember reading a TSB Honda sent out warning not to use even the ones provided by auto insurance companies.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have that same ticking noise. Happens when im on idle for 15-20min checking my cell phone in a parking lot.

What causes that ticking noise? I shut the car off /engine off, and its still ticking.
It went away after 4min

Hmmmmmmm
(Lolol is this under warranty? :censored:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts