Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a flat the other week and used the repair kit successfully. The car engine must be on, connect to the 12volt outlet and set unit to "repair" and run for 10 full minutes. Then switch to "air" inflation and turn off when about 35 psi. The tire drove just fine for a few days until I got a replacement Michelin green tire. In another post I mentioned the "low air pressure" indicator is now always lit. When I buy 4 new tires the calibration will reset and the indicator will operate correctly. But anyway, the repair kit worked fine and I actually use the unit to inflate whenever necessary. I was wondering about how many uses it gives before needing a new can of sealant. Useful to read it may only be one, but it might be good for another, who knows. I used the code reader with my iPhone on the unit as my manual was not in the car when I got the flat. It links to a short video on how to use it. I drove too long before pulling over, and the outside of the tire indicated internal damage, so I replaced it instead of trying to repair the tire. Better safe than sorry!

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
In another post I mentioned the "low air pressure" indicator is now always lit. When I buy 4 new tires the calibration will reset and the indicator will operate correctly.
With the Insight having indirect TPMS monitoring, the calibration is manually selected thru the infotainment system. The TPMS calibration won't reset on its own after tire is changed or tire pressure is adjusted. If a compact spare tire is on one of the wheels the TPMS indicator will appear in the DII dashboard screen, and won't go off until replaced with a full size tire and recalibrated.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I was wondering about how many uses it gives before needing a new can of sealant. Useful to read it may only be one, but it might be good for another, who knows.
The repair video mentions that the canister will need to be replaced after single use. It might be possible to get more than one use out of it, since there's some excess in the canister to ensure sealing, but seems like a risky venture/guess. The instructions advise not to use if there's more than 1 tire with puncture, also suggesting that each canister is one-time use.

Part number 42774-TZ5-A01 looks like the canister-only replacement part for the 2019+ Insight (and other late-model Honda sedans), per Honda Parts Online and other OEM parts sites.

In a Honda Clarity forum (one of the sedans listed with same OEM canister part number), there's mention that Slime #10179 sealant refill canister may also be a viable (cheaper) option for replacement use.

A few other "heads up" points on using the sealant part of the tire repair kit:
  • The tire sealant canister has an expiration date listed on it, after which date use is 'not advised' by Honda.
  • The Owner's Manual suggests using sealant only when damage is <3/16" (<4 mm) in the tread area. Sidewall punctures can't adequately reached by the sealant flow.
  • I also read elsewhere that the the damaged area should be put at the "6 o'clock" position so gravity can help the sealant fill into the area.
  • Driving for 10 minutes is recommended to distribute the sealant, at driving speed <50 mph.
  • In cold temperatures, the sealant may need 5 minute warm up before using. The Owner's Manual doesn't mention how to warm it up, but I assume placing it in warmer interior cabin (versus trunk) would work.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Too bad the sealant can is around $80 from the dealer. I had to use it about 2 months ago but found out my tire was irreparable due to a puncture on the sidewall, so I had to get it towed.

But I’m lucky I’ve only had one irreparable puncture after all this driving.

I would get a spare tire but the only reason I don’t have one is because of the weight and I like having that little extra storage space in that compartment.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,646 Posts
I would get a spare tire but the only reason I don’t have one is because of the weight and I like having that little extra storage space in that compartment.
If your drive is short and you have roadside service, you can get away without having a spare. My commute was 100-miles r/t, so the spare made sense. As far as weight, I found no noticable difference in fuel efficiency after getting it.

Getting a flat without a spare after shops close at night would be a real bummer.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Since I added new audio equipment (speaker amp, sub amp, sub itself (plus wooden box), and large screen head unit, not to mention sound deadening the entire interior and partial trunk with a little over 2 boxes of sound deadening, I figure I added roughly 70-80lbs to my car, so I don’t want to add anymore.

Plus I have that AAA premier membership which allows for complimentary 200 mile tows. Surprisingly, I’ve only done 1 tire repair since I’ve owned car and I immediately went to a tire shop as soon as my TPMS came up and fixed it (thank god it was during day time).

I’m just going to take the chance for now but if something really bad happens (God forbid) like getting an unrepairable flat in the middle of nowhere with no AAA around, then I may change my mind. But most likely not going to happen.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Too bad the sealant can is around $80 from the dealer. I had to use it about 2 months ago but found out my tire was irreparable due to a puncture on the sidewall, so I had to get it towed.
In a Honda Clarity forum (one of the sedans listed with same OEM canister part number as the Gen3 Insight), they mention that Slime #10179 sealant refill canister may also be a viable ($20) option for replacement use. Not sure if you'd feel comfortable using non-OEM, but could be a cheaper option to have on hand since you drive a lot.

·
Registered
431 Posts
In a Honda Clarity forum (one of the sedans listed with same OEM canister part number as the Gen3 Insight), they mention that Slime #10179 sealant refill canister may also be a viable ($20) option for replacement use. Not sure if you'd feel comfortable using non-OEM, but could be a cheaper option to have on hand since you drive a lot.
As long as it works, I’m fine with it. After all, it’s just a sealant can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts