Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never considered this but it makes sense and called around in my town at Discount Tire Centers which carries 100% nitrogen fills for $8 per tire. I'm going to replace O2 with N2 to test it out on my Insight.
Costco does nitrogen empty/fill for $11.99 on all 4 tires. I also asked my local Costco tire tech yesterday about bringing my car in for rotation and balancing even though I didn't buy the tires from them. He told me he can rotate, balance, and nitrogen fill all 4 tires for $21.99. My local Honda dealership wanted $39.99 just for rotating and balancing.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Costco does nitrogen empty/fill for $11.99 on all 4 tires. I also asked my local Costco tire tech yesterday about bringing my car in for rotation and balancing even though I didn't buy the tires from them. He told me he can rotate, balance, and nitrogen fill all 4 tires for $21.99. My local Honda dealership wanted $39.99 just for rotating and balancing.
Costco recently raised the price of rotating and balancing a tire not bought from them to $30. Was informed of this when I was chatting with one of the tire techs. He also mentioned the tire installation cost went up to $18 I think.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my tire rotation, balancing, and oil change all done today. The tire rotation and balance at Costco was $25.99. On a side note, I had a chat with the guys working there, and they told me some new changes implemented recently at the tire department. Tire installation cost went up to $20 per tire from $15 which I think most of us know by now. Costco will be charging $10 per replacement tire installed under warranty. It used to be free and will remain that way for those that already purchased a Costco tire before September. They will put on/take off your winter tires for free if you bought them from Costco each winter/spring. They also told me Costco only makes money off the installation cost instead of the tires and to stay away from the Michelin Premier A/S tires(low tread life). So it's a good time to buy new tires like right now where they're offering free installation on the Bridgestone and a few weeks later the Michelin.

After the tire rotation and balance I decided to drop by the Honda dealership to see if they can fit me in for a oil change today instead of Wednesday. After discussing with the service advisor on what exactly is the full synthetic they're offering at $90. I found out that it's Mobil full synthetic oil and the $45 oil is full synthetic bulk oil from Honda. Service advisor reiterated to me that the $45 oil is not semi-synthetic but is actually full synthetic. I assume they weren't lying to me because they could had just took my $90 instead of telling me they're both full synthetic. Battery test came back as good along with everything else. Did my visual inspection before driving off(oil pan secured, oil cap secured, dipstick shows correct amount of oil). Maintenance minder shows B code for next oil change. The only problem is that the service tech deflated my tires to 32psi front/rear according to the multi-point inspection sheet which I didn't notice until I got home. :plain:

I saw a Black Insight Touring with a clearance tag on it while I was waiting for my Insight. It had a manufactured date of 10/18 and one of the salesman came over to chat with me. He told me it was use as a test drive car. I asked how much are they discounting it and his response was "a few thousand". Also asked him how is the Insight selling and he said not much. His reason was due to the low horsepower of the car. I did mention it has great torque which I prefer over horsepower since you can't really drive fast in city traffic but you can have a little fun accelerating from traffic lights. He agreed and I ended the conversation there since the service advisor was calling me over.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm bringing my Insight to Costco for the rotation and balancing just like my previous cars. I'm familiar with the tire techs working there for many years and know they will do the job correctly.
FYI ~ Costco will ONLY rotate your tires if they were purchased from them. They also DO NOT offer any type of road hazard, tire rotation or balancing warranty services for purchase for non purchased tires at Costco even if you are a member. I just called Costco’s tire center to verify. I should have had the dealer include tire road hazard, rotation & balancing as part of the sale.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got my tire rotation, balancing, and oil change all done today. The tire rotation and balance at Costco was $25.99.
Andrew28 - just saw your update - how did you get the rotation & rebalance for $25.99 when I was just told they don’t offer that?

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI ~ Costco will ONLY rotate your tires if they were purchased from them. They also DO NOT offer any type of road hazard, tire rotation or balancing warranty services for purchase for non purchased tires at Costco even if you are a member. I just called Costco’s tire center to verify. I should have had the dealer include tire road hazard, rotation & balancing as part of the sale.
Maybe the person that told you that was misinformed or a new seasonal employee? Costco will rotate plus balance and fix a flat even if you didn't buy the tire from them. It just won't be free and will cost you money each time service is requested.

(Prices went up a little recently for the services shown below)

Andrew28 - just saw your update - how did you get the rotation & rebalance for $25.99 when I was just told they don’t offer that?
Below is my receipt from Monday.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Maybe the person that told you that was misinformed or a new seasonal employee? Costco will rotate plus balance and fix a flat even if you didn't buy the tire from them. It just won't be free and will cost you money each time service is requested.

(Prices went up a little recently for the services shown below)

Below is my receipt from Monday.

It could be a state thing, some states have different policies due to liability or other laws/ordinances.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Maybe it varies by Costco location and/or how busy they are (?), but there are recent posts in other car forums on still being able to rotate/balance non-Costco tires for a fee... including andrew28's recent post this week (post #121) on completing rotation at Costco.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,059 Posts
Found similar banner from Costco in Montreal, Quebec, offering services-for-a-fee on tires bought elsewhere:

Ah, Canada - bilingual paradise (unless you're in Montreal). I couldn't even order food without an interpreter!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found similar banner from Costco in Montreal, Quebec, offering services-for-a-fee on tires bought elsewhere:

My Costco had that same banner but in English a few years ago. That's how I found out they service tires not bought from them. :smile:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was shopping for tires a few years back. Went to a local garage and they price match Costco. They are also much closer to my home than Costco. So I went with them. Was discussing tire warranties with them and was told that you need to rotate every 6k miles for a tire warranty to be honored. I now take the Tucson in for rotations and oil/filter changes every 6000 miles. Probably a little sooner than needed for the oil change but the convenience is worth it with only making one trip every six months or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was shopping for tires a few years back. Went to a local garage and they price match Costco. They are also much closer to my home than Costco. So I went with them. Was discussing tire warranties with them and was told that you need to rotate every 6k miles for a tire warranty to be honored. I now take the Tucson in for rotations and oil/filter changes every 6000 miles. Probably a little sooner than needed for the oil change but the convenience is worth it with only making one trip every six months or so.
5 years of free road hazard warranty is the main reason I buy my tires at Costco. 3 years ago I got 2 nails in 2 different tires within weeks of each other. The first one they were able to patch up but the 2nd wasn't repairable so they replaced it for free via the road hazard warranty. BJ's and Sam's Club offer similar free road hazard warranty but it's for 3 years only. Other tire stores they charge for the road hazard warranty and it normally doesn't go up to 5 years.

·
Registered
836 Posts
So we got some exciting news regarding Costco, they applied for permitting for an Albany, NY location. I can honestly say I'm excited.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Love, Love, Love COSTCO's Tire & Road Hazard Warranties!

The following happened Feb 2017, just sharing why I LOVE Costco and their Road Hazard Warranty

4 years ago (2013) I purchased 4 Michelin Energy LX4's for our Honda Odyssey at Costco for a total of $697.66 (all taxes/fees)

I noticed a screw in one of the tires yesterday and when I tried to remove it air started escaping so I left the screw alone and decided to go to Costco today to get a repair. I figured the tire would end up getting replaced under the road hazard warranty because the screw was on the outer tread and the tire would not be repaired.

So I went to Costco early this morning @ 7am, but apparently it wasn't early enough as I was the 8th person in line. When I finally got up to the counter 45 minutes later I told the service person (Carlos - SSF Costco/El Camino) that I had a flat repair, but might need a set of tires. I then asked him what the mileage was when I purchased the last set of tires - he said 42K on 1/27/13. I then told him that I presently had 72K and the tires were already worn down to the tread pads and shouldn't they have lasted longer than 30K? He said, "let me take a look at the tires"

As he looked the tires over he agreed they indeed were worn and all had even tread wear to which I mentioned I got alignments every 6 months.

(BTW, instead of paying $69+ for a 1 time alignment I get Good Year's 3-year alignment program for $159.99 which includes alignments every 6,000 miles or 6 months.)

When he got to the tire that had the screw in it he mentioned the tire had more tread than all the others. I told him it was because the tire had been replaced once before under the road hazard warranty. He then said what he could do is replace 3 of the tires under warranty and the 4th under the road hazard warranty. He said Michelin presently had $70 off the purchase of 4 tires and he was sure I could get back more than that.

So he gets back on the computer and says, "Wow you paid a lot for those Michelin Energy LX4 tires @ $160.99/ea. with a 50K warranty. The Michelin Defender we now sell is less expensive @ $141.99/ea., is a Better tire and comes with a 90K warranty. Having paid so much for the tires back then you'll get a good credit towards the new tires!"

Long story short I got the 4 new Michelin Defender XT tires; mounted, balanced, installed & out the door for $187.84 when I was expecting to pay over $600! YAY for Costco!!

UPDATE 2019 - I currently have 92K on my odometer which means I've put 20K on the new tires. I get them balanced and rotated every 3-5K miles and they barely show any wear.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Long story short I got the 4 new Michelin Defender XT tires; mounted, balanced, installed & out the door for $187.84 when I was expecting to pay over $600! YAY for Costco!!

UPDATE 2019 - I currently have 92K on my odometer which means I've put 20K on the new tires. I get them balanced and rotated every 3-5K miles and they barely show any wear.
Do you still use Goodyear's program or do you return to Costco for rotation/balance?

·
Registered
836 Posts
If the new location is the 'Crossgates' one mentioned below, looks like the permit requests space for both warehouse and gas station. :) - https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2019/11/18/costco-crossgates-albany-upstate-store.html
That's the one, not particularly happy about the location, traffic over there is horrible already (especially during the holiday season). But not having to drive 72 miles into Massachusetts is a plus. I've never been in a Costco.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts