Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 insight 8k miles, Ive had a few problems before with warning lights and such, mostly the tire pressure one. About 2 weeks ago i started getting tons of warnings when I first started. But it still drove but none of the fancy stuff worked like lane assist and cruse control etc. I decided that driving like this sucks so I tried to figure out how to reset the system. Yesterday I tried to disconnect the battery cables first the neg then positive then put em back on. Now not only do i get all the warning lights but i also get the Immobilizer blinking red light of death that will not let me start it. This car is a headache. I have a first gen 2002 with 324k miles that stopped starting so I bought this one. Anyways if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
The car starts for a second then red light kills it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is video i just made its crappy but it shows the problems im not sure if you can put youtube links up here.
This sucks Im supposed to take my father to drs. appointments today and tomorrow. The dealer is 200+ miles away so thats out. My AAA plus resets on Sept 12th. I used all 4 tows this year on a 2016 toyota prius c pos that I sold for half what i paid for it with 15k miles on it because it kept breaking down. I bought this hoping it would be reliable like my 2002 insight was. I might just sell this New pos and go back to a older car. I literally have 13 cars in a field all of them have electrical problems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the car become a potato after you disconnected the battery? You have Honda roadside assistance which allows the car to be towed to the nearest dealership for free. https://direct.automobiles.honda.com/images/downloads/24-hourroadsideservice.pdf

Yes , before i disconnected the battery it started and drove, all the warning lights were there before except the setting up one, and none of the stuff worked like the parking brake and cruise control and everything else. Now its just a dead future rust bucket. Im 45 miles from home at my fathers apartment, I should not have tried to reset the system by disconnecting the battery. At least it started before. I need to figure out how to reset the immobilizer.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Yes , before i disconnected the battery it started and drove, all the warning lights were there before except the setting up one, and none of the stuff worked like the parking brake and cruise control and everything else. Now its just a dead future rust bucket. Im 45 miles from home at my fathers apartment, I should not have tried to reset the system by disconnecting the battery. At least it started before. I need to figure out how to reset the immobilizer.
The condition of the battery is monitored by a sensor located on the negative terminal of the battery. If there is a problem with this sensor, the driver information interface will display a warning message. If this happens, have your vehicle inspected by a dealer.
The owners manual states some sort of sensor is located on the negative terminal of the battery. I think disconnecting the battery triggered something with that sensor and is causing the car to be immobilized. Looks like the dealership will be best to handle this.

Edit: I would check and redo the connections on the battery again to see if that will solve your issue. Call Honda roadside (1-866-864-5211) if you continue to have problems.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
2019 insight 8k miles, Ive had a few problems before with warning lights and such, mostly the tire pressure one. About 2 weeks ago i started getting tons of warnings when I first started. But it still drove but none of the fancy stuff worked like lane assist and cruse control etc. I decided that driving like this sucks so I tried to figure out how to reset the system. Yesterday I tried to disconnect the battery cables first the neg then positive then put em back on. Now not only do i get all the warning lights but i also get the Immobilizer blinking red light of death that will not let me start it. This car is a headache. I have a first gen 2002 with 324k miles that stopped starting so I bought this one. Anyways if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
The car starts for a second then red light kills it.
This sounds similar to issues @Wifey'sInsight had, that were resolved by software update. See this thread for background on that, and your video is helpful to see if your two issues are similar - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/2738-electronics-go-haywire.html

·
Registered
836 Posts
This sounds similar to issues @Wifey'sInsight had, that were resolved by software update. See this thread for background on that, and your video is helpful to see if your two issues are similar - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/2738-electronics-go-haywire.html
Except for some major differences, my lights were only on for one drive cycle and would clear themselves. Sounds like you may have a serious electrical issue, or at the very least a camera or radar issue to sustain these warnings. Possibly a bad BCM. I'll do some research and try to figure out a work around on the immobilizer.

After you do get the immobilizer situation rectified, please, please bring it in for a service appointment. There is a software update that seems to be working well, but your particular car seems to have a much more permanent issue that you shouldn't have to live with.

·
Registered
836 Posts
A list of reset methods

I'd personally try the panic button, lock twice, wait ten minutes, unlock with key fob method. If you try these, please let us know which works.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You may be able to unlock the car and it may start now, I'd try once, putting the key fob against the start button, waiting for 5 seconds or so, then pressing the button with the key fob. Keeping it there until the dash lights up. The computers may have had their freak out time, and now that they calmed down are willing to communicate.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tired everything that was possible from the list nothing worked. I called 2 different dealerships both told me nothing. They said it has to be towed in. They would not even give me any ideas. I live in the Deep woods. I bought the car in another state. I took it to another dealership in this state for the problems before and they said I needed an appointment. I got one and came back a week later. It was for the tire pressure sensor. They had the car for 5 minutes and told me it was fixed. about 4 hours later the sensor went haywire again. It has been doing that ever since i have just disregarded it. It was intermittent.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I tired everything that was possible from the list nothing worked. I called 2 different dealerships both told me nothing. They said it has to be towed in. They would not even give me any ideas. I live in the Deep woods. I bought the car in another state. I took it to another dealership in this state for the problems before and they said I needed an appointment. I got one and came back a week later. It was for the tire pressure sensor. They had the car for 5 minutes and told me it was fixed. about 4 hours later the sensor went haywire again. It has been doing that ever since i have just disregarded it. It was intermittent.
The TPMS issue is super easy to fix, and I'll be more than glad to help with that after we get your car running again.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Honda Owners Website

On the right side of the browser, you should see "start virtual chat". Maybe they will at least be able to help you know who to ask. Have you called Honda roadside assistance, they too should at least be able to offer some ideas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Okay this may be a long shot but it says for Canadian models on page 183 of the manual it says to “ Apply and hold the brake pedal before turning the vehicle on the first time after the 12 volt battery has been disconnected”

·
Registered
836 Posts
Another option, do not put your foot on the brake. Push the power button twice, this will put the car in "on" mode, but not in ignition on mode. Leave the key in the car, see if the immobilizer light stops flashing after about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Okay this may be a long shot but it says for Canadian models on page 183 of the manual it says to “ Apply and hold the brake pedal before turning the vehicle on the first time after the 12 volt battery has been disconnected”
I just noticed this too, don't we have to apply the brake pedal every time we start it. I wonder why they specify that for Canadian models, unless they expect batteries to die there more than in the US, with the possible extreme cold.

·
Registered
836 Posts
1What to Do After the Engine Starts
The Vehicle Stability Assist® (VSA®) system, Vehicle Stability Assist® (VSA®) OFF, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow (LSF), safety support and low tire pressure/TPMS indicators may come on in amber along with a message in the driver information interface when you set the power mode to ON after re-connecting a battery.
Drive a short distance at more than 12 mph (20 km/h). Each indicator should go off. If any do not, have your vehicle checked by a dealer.

This is from Page 630, so a lot of the sensors are just not set properly after the battery disconnect.

Sorry that there is no immobilizer help in the manual.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another option, do not put your foot on the brake. Push the power button twice, this will put the car in "on" mode, but not in ignition on mode. Leave the key in the car, see if the immobilizer light stops flashing after about 10 minutes.
i just tried this its been over 10 minutes, the key fob is still in the car now the red light keeps blinking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called 2 more dealerships same run around, one said do you have another key fob to try i said yes i have 3 of them none work. I guess im screwed just another dead car to add to the pile.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honda Owners Website

On the right side of the browser, you should see "start virtual chat". Maybe they will at least be able to help you know who to ask. Have you called Honda roadside assistance, they too should at least be able to offer some ideas.
Just tried it got this response
In order to have a diagnosis, repair or maintenance completed on your vehicle, you will need to contact your local Honda or Acura dealership to schedule an appointment. Prices for repairs and maintenance may vary, so please check with your dealership if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts