Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct part number for touch up paint for the black parts? I'm not sure if the black trim on the side mirrors is glossy or flat, or exactly what black paint I need. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Since the parts are black plastic parts that are not painted (e.g. around LaneWatch camera on passenger side), Honda doesn't provide a specific touch up paint recommendation. The exterior paint color code for Crystal Black Pearl is NH731P, but that is for exterior (glossy) body coverage rather than plastic scratch repair.

What type of scratch do you have, and on which side/surface? Is it gouged/grooved, or just surface?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of scratch do you have, and on which side/surface? Is it gouged/grooved, or just surface?
Wish it were a scratch. There was gum or something sticky on the driver side mirror and it would not come off, so I used acetone, but was accidentally rubbing the black sides too and it turned a lighter shade of black. I tried a sharpie, but that did not look right. But if it is just plastic and the same color all the way through, then I should be able to polish it back to normal. ??

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Wish it were a scratch. There was gum or something sticky on the driver side mirror and it would not come off, so I used acetone, but was accidentally rubbing the black sides too and it turned a lighter shade of black. I tried a sharpie, but that did not look right. But if it is just plastic and the same color all the way through, then I should be able to polish it back to normal. ??
I imagine so, but haven't attempted anything like that myself. For it to have turned a lighter shade suggests that the surface was directly plastic and the acetone dissolved it. If the surface is no longer level, you could also try epoxy to fill back to level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it did dissolve the plastic, but just barely - just enough to dull it. So I polished it until it was back glossy. It took a lot of work and fine polish, but it looks almost perfect. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts