Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you take the side mirrors from the touring And hook them up to the ex model? Was hoping to add the led side mirror blinkers.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Haven't seen anyone on forum make the swap yet, but before buying the Insight, I found this CivicX thread on DIY swap of side mirrors from the Touring to the EX. The turn signal lights on the Touring were one of the only features I wanted on the higher trim; the other Touring features were more than I wanted/needed. I've decided to live without them, but had this CivicX thread tucked away for future reference.

The Insight and Civic share the same body platform, so it seems likely that the connectivity should be similar. The thread mentions that all the connections needed for the Touring side mirror turn lights were present but just not used for the EX.

Note that you'll need to visit the dealer to recalibrate the LaneWatch camera, once the swap is complete...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder if the wires are already in place I haven’t taken the mirror off to see the inside I was hoping someone did the swap

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Wonder if the wires are already in place I haven’t taken the mirror off to see the inside I was hoping someone did the swap
I'm not sure as well as no one has reported yet here, but I have high confidence they're present based on the Civic example. Maybe your Honda dealer/tech could help check diagrams to see what's present before disassembling?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Good news with mass production, there is a really good chance that the plugs/harnesses are pre-wired for all options, it simply doesn't make sense to use a different harness/ wiring assembly for each model. It's not cost effective.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I am hoping for I know it going to be pricey to replace mirror but maybe I’ll get lucky and a junk yard will have a set

·
Registered
16 Posts
Touring to EX parts

I am starting to think that I should have closely looked at the Touring when I bought my EX a month ago. All the online reviews said the cost bump wasn't worth it, and I actually dislike leather interiors, so I didn't look past the online feature lists. But nothing online mentioned all the little things that are nicer on the touring.

Some of you have seen my quest for the auto rear-view mirror. Now I have found out that a feature that I love is actually available on the Touring; turn signals on the back side of the side mirrors. And there's even a pretty chrome accent on the back! Why would such a basic safety feature not be on all the levels? Ugh.

So now I'm going to rip off a mirror off of my EX and see what kind of wire will allow me to "adjust" my side view mirrors to have turn signals. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Sorry about the mini buyer's remorse on trim level. But it sounds like you're very handy and successful with DIY projects!

The side mirrors with turn lights were something I wanted as well, but not badly enough to 'upgrade' to the Touring. This side mirror 'feature' difference applies to the Civic as well, and there is an example posted in CivicX about how-to replace the mirrors.

Check out some of the suggestions for side mirror replacement in this 'Touring Side Mirrors' thread, and Touring pros and cons in this 'Main Reason for Choosing LX/EX' thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts