Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi all
i know there is a thread on here about towing already but i am looking to see if there is a possibility that it can tow a small vehicle behind it wether that be through tow bars or tow dolleys where little to no weight will be applied to the insight but would need to pull the 1500-2000 lbs behind it, is that a possibility at all and has anyone actually done that?

or should i get rid of my insight to find something that can pull a 2000 lb car
also would love to have it for using as a bike rack attachment.
as for what would be towed would be a 1925 chevrolet coupe. i probably over estimated the weight but still better to be on the safe side

btw i have a 2022 Honda insight EX

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well the internet says your Chevy is 2,030 pounds, so there is that.

Anywho, the Insight is perfectly capable of towing that much weight, however the car uses a Continuously Variable Transmission. From what I understand, CVTs were designed for fuel efficiency, not handling torque. If you are only driving on flat, level services, go for it. But odds are very good that this will destroy your transmission over time. Oddly enough the transmissions are fairly cheap {compared to other vehicles}. But with low production numbers and already scarce parts the future is rather bleak for maintaining these car under ideal conditions, let alone pushing beyond their approved limits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the internet says your Chevy is 2,030 pounds, so there is that.
i think thats for the sedan version which was more common my registration says 1500lbs but owners of similar cars to mine seem to say the DMV in my state (WA) just makes up a number for them so not entirely sure.

i guess the torque thing makes sense with the CVT.
this is my first automatic of any kind so i'm used to my old manuals throughout the years so still stuck with that mindset of how they work.
makes me miss my old 2015 manual trans civic.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So there isn't a normal transmission on these cars.. Our cars are basically electric cars with a direct clutch lock up at steady speeds above 45mph. The problem with towing is not that our cars don't have enough torque or power, it's that the cooling system for the electric motors are only designed to handle cooling for the weight of the car itself only. You risk overheating the electric motors/tranmission fluid (cooling fluid for motors)..

I really wish they never called it an ecvt.. cvt is so misleading.. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts