Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mile High Honda has the 2021 Insight EX listed for sale in their inventory. Modern Steel, as Insighfully stated.
Not a fan of the new wheel color scheme. It looks... cheaper.
I stopped by today to check out the 2021 in Radiant Red, it was slightly overcast but the color was much darker than I anticipated. Not very radiant on a hazy day. One thing that caught my eye was the new color scheme on the wheels, with black replacing grey. I definitely didn't like the change, the black was super glossy and looked kinda cheap to me. The wheels reminded me of someones attempt at doing a 'mod' to their car. But, just one man's opinion, others may love it.
I just purchased a 2021 Touring last Saturday in platinum white. Traded a 2919 touring on it. So far, gas mileage for last 150 miles ranges 47mpg. My 2019 avg 52,same trip. Rides harder ,W'ell see if it is worth it. FRANKO

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 Touring last Saturday in platinum white. Traded a 2919 touring on it. So far, gas mileage for last 150 miles ranges 47mpg. My 2019 avg 52,same trip. Rides harder ,W'ell see if it is worth it. FRANKO
Congrats on the trade-up! How many miles did you end up logging on the 2019 before trading in? And what features drew you to the 2021? If it was it the blind spot information system, what do you think so far compared to LaneWatch?

One (current) benefit of the 2021 is there aren't any active recalls on it... do you know if your 2019 was part of the fuel pump recall?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on the trade-up! How many miles did you end up logging on the 2019 before trading in? And what features drew you to the 2021? If it was it the blind spot information system, what do you think so far compared to LaneWatch?

One (current) benefit of the 2021 is there aren't any active recalls on it... do you know if your 2019 was part of the fuel pump recall?
I logged 15750 miles and MPG was improving. I purchased it 6/30/2018. I wasn't looking to trade but my sales rep. said you are getting a 2021 model in June 2020 and your car is getting more miles and will depreciate every day, etc., etc. Yes, that is a no brainer. This was the first one they got in . I wanted the red color one and of course they say , we don't know when we will get anymore in due to the virus problem at the factory.. Possibly correct.

Now , I noticed they deleted a chrome strip on front area. It appears they made some changes in the engine compartment, more spaghetti, tubing, and upgrade injectors. One negative so far, it rides harder than the 2019 model. My daughter noticed right away. When I made my 80 mile trip weekly I noticed my back was hurting upon return. First time ever. My daughter says seats are hard , not enough padding. I agree. On the 2019 model I always avg. 52 mpg . This one, same trips and barely 47 mpg.Something changed. The blind spot is OK so far, possibly better than Lane Watch.

I just tuned in to my Honda dealer car sales and my 2019 Touring is listed at $23,750. This is for you guys who are on the fence. I never had a fuel pump recall on the 2019. PS- My dealer is firm on price, little negotiating . He says because of plant closure and partial opening. I think they forgot my seat padding.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Upgraded injectors? Does the engine make more power over the 2019s?

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Upgraded injectors? Does the engine make more power over the 2019s?
The 2021 specs list +0.5 total horsepower versus the 2019/2020 spec... yet all the other engine thresholds are the same... so not likely a real or meaningful difference.

Total System = 151.5 hp
Gas Engine = 107 hp @ 6000 rpm | 99 lb-ft torque @ 5000 rpm
Elec Motor = 129 @ 4000-8000 rpm | 197 lb-ft @ 0-3000 rpm

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would say that maybe you got used to your older Insight as it was more broken in.. Seats and suspension...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would say that maybe you got used to your older Insight as it was more broken in.. Seats and suspension...
I logged 15750 miles and MPG was improving. I purchased it 6/30/2018. I wasn't looking to trade but my sales rep. said you are getting a 2021 model in June 2020 and your car is getting more miles and will depreciate every day, etc., etc. Yes, that is a no brainer. This was the first one they got in . I wanted the red color one and of course they say , we don't know when we will get anymore in due to the virus problem at the factory.. Possibly correct.

Now , I noticed they deleted a chrome strip on front area. It appears they made some changes in the engine compartment, more spaghetti, tubing, and upgrade injectors. One negative so far, it rides harder than the 2019 model. My daughter noticed right away. When I made my 80 mile trip weekly I noticed my back was hurting upon return. First time ever. My daughter says seats are hard , not enough padding. I agree. On the 2019 model I always avg. 52 mpg . This one, same trips and barely 47 mpg.Something changed. The blind spot is OK so far, possibly better than Lane Watch.

I just tuned in to my Honda dealer car sales and my 2019 Touring is listed at $23,750. This is for you guys who are on the fence. I never had a fuel pump recall on the 2019. PS- My dealer is firm on price, little negotiating . He says because of plant closure and partial opening. I think they forgot my seat padding.
This is an update on platinum white color on car I reluctantly purchased. I wanted red. Now, for you guys who are interested in the white, I offer an opinion. If you look close up you can see the flakes. OK. Now , stand back 6 feet and wear sun glasses , no flakes.Plain, plain white. In sunlight , just plain white. I park next to a 5 year old white Accord in under building garage. My neighbor and me says not much difference in color. Before you buy the white, check out the color from several feet and watch the flakes disappear., and for an extra $395? . Need more buyers to offer their opinion. They should not charge for this color. PS -From a distance of 12 inches its pretty. But then the flakes disappear to a solid white.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
This is an update on platinum white color on car I reluctantly purchased. I wanted red. Now, for you guys who are interested in the white, I offer an opinion. If you look close up you can see the flakes. OK. Now , stand back 6 feet and wear sun glasses , no flakes.Plain, plain white. In sunlight , just plain white. I park next to a 5 year old white Accord in under building garage. My neighbor and me says not much difference in color. Before you buy the white, check out the color from several feet and watch the flakes disappear., and for an extra $395? . Need more buyers to offer their opinion. They should not charge for this color. PS -From a distance of 12 inches its pretty. But then the flakes disappear to a solid white.
Platinum White always had less pearl flakes than White Orchid(2019) which Honda discontinued starting on the 2020 model year. Many of the colors they didn't charge extra for during the 2020/2019 model year now come at a premium cost. I suspect this has to do with the additional BSM(Blind Spot Monitoring) cost for 2021 but were reluctant to raise the overall MSRP for marketing reasons.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Platinum White always had less pearl flakes than White Orchid(2019) which Honda discontinued starting on the 2020 model year. Many of the colors they didn't charge extra for during the 2020/2019 model year now come at a premium cost. I suspect this has to do with the additional BSM(Blind Spot Monitoring) cost for 2021 but were reluctant to raise the overall MSRP for marketing reasons.
I agree

·
Registered
249 Posts
Franko
I've been averaging about 58 mpg. I haven't seen a 'summer gas' bump yet, but I've been driving some up and down areas--it's not hard to do that in the
front range of Colorado. I hope your mileage increases as you break your car in!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@NicoleK - I'll wear mittens in the winter, but I'll be damned if I'll sweat in the heat of summer! I have found cabin heat to be more of a MPG hit than A/C as heat requires the engine to run more frequently since the coolant is the source of the heat. The A/C is electric, so once the desired temp's neighborhood it hit, it's just a matter of keeping it there - which isn't that difficult for the Insight's cooling system. I run mine at 65 all the time in summer and can still put up some great numbers. I suppose, if you set it to "LO," it would run constantly and be an issue. I believe "LO" is less than 54 degrees. Who wants to wear a ski parka while driving in summer anyways?
This is franko again to bring you'll up to date on my 2021 Honda Insight touring. Disappointed?yes .My 2019 touring averaged 50mpg no matter how I drove. This one averages 46 mpg over last 1200 miles.I use Mobil / Exxon and tires at 36 PSI all around. Outside temp 87 deg., A/C set at 78 deg.. On todays trip of 92 miles, never over 60 MPH, and mostly country roads, hardly any traffic, and little in-town traffic. AVG-46.1 mpg. On the 2019 , same everything, avg 52 to 55 mpg.I use same pump for last 2 years to eliminate errors. When I traded , my indicator showed 50.2 mpg. I should have taken pictures of both engine compartments to see difference. It appears a change in injectors, plus other wiring changes. They changed something for the worse. P.S. I'm not happy.. Lets start a 2021 MPG update.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Are you running AC more? In spring I was getting MPG in the 50s and running AC at much lower speed.. usually at Lo and 1 bar entire day .. I was driving a lot almost everyday ..

Now I run AC on Lo with at least 4-5 bars throughout day because it’s so hot and I’m getting around 47mpg..

still driving for best mpg and using paddles whenever I get the opportunity..

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
This is franko again to bring you'll up to date on my 2021 Honda Insight touring. Disappointed?yes .My 2019 touring averaged 50mpg no matter how I drove. This one averages 46 mpg over last 1200 miles.I use Mobil / Exxon and tires at 36 PSI all around. Outside temp 87 deg., A/C set at 78 deg.. On todays trip of 92 miles, never over 60 MPH, and mostly country roads, hardly any traffic, and little in-town traffic. AVG-46.1 mpg. On the 2019 , same everything, avg 52 to 55 mpg.I use same pump for last 2 years to eliminate errors. When I traded , my indicator showed 50.2 mpg. I should have taken pictures of both engine compartments to see difference. It appears a change in injectors, plus other wiring changes. They changed something for the worse. P.S. I'm not happy.. Lets start a 2021 MPG update.
Maybe it's a difference in HV battery 'health' or the extent to which your HV battery charges up enough to get into EV/hybrid mode. In theory 2021 should have newer 'fresher' battery, but maybe not...

I also thought maybe there's a curb weight difference on the 2021 Touring (BSM) versus 2019/2020 Touring (LaneWatch) contributing to mpg change, but all Touring model years are listed by Honda as 3078 lbs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Try increasing tire pressure. Front up to 250 kPa, rear up to 230 kPa.

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Try increasing tire pressure. Front up to 250 kPa, rear up to 230 kPa.
For those in good ol' 'Merica, that's 36.2594 psi front and 33.3587 psi rear. Personally, I've been running 40psi all around since new. Tread wear has been even, so I'm continuing to "send it" at 40. If you're in a pothole-prone area, you may not want to push it that far. Exceed spec'd at your own risk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts