Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my EX in Feb 2019. Live in the Raleigh/Durham NC area and am on the road a lot. I’ve never seen another one. Last maintenance visit two weeks ago I asked the service advisor how many Insights they have run through service. He said mine was the first 2019 he’d ever seen in the shop. Too many rumors about Honda killing the model or converting it to a Civic hybrid for me. Trading mine in for a Tesla model 3 next week.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
Bought my EX in Feb 2019. Live in the Raleigh/Durham NC area and am on the road a lot. I’ve never seen another one. Last maintenance visit two weeks ago I asked the service advisor how many Insights they have run through service. He said mine was the first 2019 he’d ever seen in the shop. Too many rumors about Honda killing the model or converting it to a Civic hybrid for me. Trading mine in for a Tesla model 3 next week.
Just curious... but how many miles did you accumulate on your EX over the past year? Did it give you any problems, or is it just the future/rumors that are bothersome? Given the amount of driving you do, would you normally be buying a new car at this time, or this is early timing?

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
I'm interested to hear your comparison between the 2 cars once you get more time with the model 3. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Odd reason to sell a new car. I actually prefer to have a car you don't see on every corner. Honda is not a company going anywhere. Every Honda/Acura I've had was killed off. Prelude, two Legend coupes, two CLs. All great cars!

My Acura CL Type-S is actually highly sought after for it's rarity (6 speed). Only about 2700 were ever sold and only for one model year.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Odd reason to sell a new car. I actually prefer to have a car you don't see on every corner. Honda is not a company going anywhere.
Same. Model 3 will be ubiquitous in a few years, though I'd certainly take one over the Insight;-) I'm thinking about a Y or Cybertruck for my Highlander, though. I'd guess Insight is here partially for CAFE and California regulations. If fuel economy requirements or calculations are gutted, it will probably go away sooner.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Odd reason to sell a new car. I actually prefer to have a car you don't see on every corner. Honda is not a company going anywhere. Every Honda/Acura I've had was killed off. Prelude, two Legend coupes, two CLs. All great cars!

My Acura CL Type-S is actually highly sought after for it's rarity (6 speed). Only about 2700 were ever sold and only for one model year.
Love the rare car factor.. but don’t like it when people mistake it for an Accord.. great feeling when I actually meet people that know the history of the Insight. When I had an s2000, same thing.. people mistake it for a Miata, which upset me actually sometimes.. love how every other roadster was a Miata or a bmw z3 or z4 on the road and I still think the s2k looked and performed the best (not to mention most reliable)..

I never really was sold on Tesla and still think the model 3 is still too expensive.. after reading through another member’s electricity consumption/price on charging on a Tesla 3 here in another thread, it changed my perspective on EVs ( at least in the current circumstances ).

S2k was killed off (unfortunately) and I used to have a 2000 civic si coupe, which is nice to know is still in production.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't understand all the forces saying electric cars are our near future when over 50% of the US drivers live in a condo or apt. Until quick charging is on every other corner I don't see it. I like the hybrid model for now.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Love the rare car factor.. but don’t like it when people mistake it for an Accord.. great feeling when I actually meet people that know the history of the Insight.
Had this happen at the gas station this morning (mistaken for Accord). I was parked next to a mid 2000's 2 door civic. Older gentleman, as we are about to get in our cars, he asked me how I liked the car. I naturally assumed he thought it was a hybrid. We talked for a minute or so, I realized he thought it was an Accord. I told him if he didn't need a bigger car, the Insight would save him some money and get him a much more refined ride (in my opinion) than just a newer Civic. I don't know if I convinced him to change his mind, but at least he now knows it's another possible option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also live in Raleigh,NC. I bought my EX (Lunar Silver) on July 29, 2018. I have seen 4 other Insights since then in the Raleigh area.
1) Lunar Silver Touring turning south onto Falls of Neuse Road north of Strickland Rd.
2) Lunar Siver northbound on Duraleigh Rd at Glenwood Ave.
3) Modern Steel EX/LX southbound on Wake Forest Rd. turning left at Costco.
3) Modern Steel southbound on Maynard Rd. at Highhouse Rd. in Cary.

Numerous other sightings that I can't confirm as Insights since they may have been Civics or Accords.

I spent the Christmas holidays (10 days) in Los Angeles and didn't see a single Insight. However Prius were everywhere.

Like other posters have said I don't mind having a "rare" car.

BTW thanks to Dgunter for posting the photos of the Yakima Halfback bike rack on your Insight. Based on this and photos on the Yakima website I bought a similar bike rack for my Insight. I only need it when I carry 2 bikes. For a single bike it is much easier to take off the front wheel and put it in the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts
Don't understand all the forces saying electric cars are our near future when over 50% of the US drivers live in a condo or apt. Until quick charging is on every other corner I don't see it. I like the hybrid model for now.
Same, it works best for me right now. Gas prices are also really low (except west coast).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I spent the Christmas holidays (10 days) in Los Angeles and didn't see a single Insight. However Prius were everywhere.

Don’t forget Teslas :smile:...come to think of it, I drove to and from Orange County (orange county is directly south of Los Angeles county) yesterday and didn’t see a single Insight (maybe previous gen Insights but not 3rd)... LA county is huge and OC is as well..

I like the rare car factor but it’s not like Ferrari in Kansas rare.. you won’t get that much attention but it’s a lot more subtle (if you can appreciate all different types of cars)..

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in the RDU area, and there's another Insight Touring in my work parking lot. Seen a couple randomly on the road too. Had it at the AutoBell (too cold to handwash it) and the guy said it was the 2nd one they'd had come thru. Don't like the idea of an all-electric yet, maybe as a 2nd car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts