Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Touring with 10,000 miles, 11 months old.
I was going to change my oil today. As soon as I took the bottom cover piece off I notice transmission fluid has been leaking. I got mad, took some pictures, and closed it back up.
Just scheduled for service at local Honda.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Huge bummer. There isn't a ton of transmission fluid in the car (2.3 qt) and no dipstick checkpoint, so good idea to take in for inspection sooner than later.

Was this your first oil change? Were there any signs of leakage below the car before taking off the cover? From what you could see, is the leakage coming from the bolts, or is it just built up there because it's the lowest point?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was my first oil change. I did not notice until I took the cover off. It does seem like it's coming from the bolts but I scheduled for service with Honda in couple of days. If I have any future issue with this, I want dealer paper trail.
But I am afraid dealer will just tighten the bolts and call it a day.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
So it was most likely leaking like that since you got the car? 😦

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dropped my car off at Honda. They refused to order a new bottom cover. They cleaned bottom of transmission. Put some leak tracing powder and drove for a couple of miles. They didn't see any new leak. They told me to bring it back after driving around 300 miles. I guess I will take it back in couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
Dropped my car off at Honda. They refused to order a new bottom cover. They cleaned bottom of transmission. Put some leak tracing powder and drove for a couple of miles. They didn't see any new leak. They told me to bring it back after driving around 300 miles. I guess I will take it back in couple of weeks.
Did they top off the transmission fluid, too?

·
Registered
148 Posts
They had to use the powder huh? I guess the leak detecting fluid wasn't good enough.

It looks to me like it is coming from the front and seeping down. Maybe these solenoid valves or the o-ring on the plug above. But I would check the rubber stopper fill-plug its simple enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went back to Honda today after about 600 miles. I was worried they won't find anything and send me home.

They came back saying they have never seen this kind of leak before. It wasn't leaking from the gasket or any of the bolts. They called it "sweating" from the transmission casing itself. They admitted it is defective and probably needs to be swapped. However, they have to wait for Honda to approve all of it before they can start working on it. They are not even sure if they can get a brand new transmission right away. They couldn't even get me a loaner without approval. I am going back tomorrow to either take my car back or get a loaner from the dealership without Honda approval. We will see what happens.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Went back to Honda today after about 600 miles. I was worried they won't find anything and send me home.

They came back saying they have never seen this kind of leak before. It wasn't leaking from the gasket or any of the bolts. They called it "sweating" from the transmission casing itself. They admitted it is defective and probably needs to be swapped.
Wow, weird. Did you see any signs of leak in the 600 miles of driving? Sounds like level must have been low again when you brought it back after the time period they suggested.

Will be interested to hear what the cause is... too high operating pressure? bad materials (metal or gasket or both)? improper assembly? freak of nature?

Since this is 'technically' your 2nd visit to dealer for this issue, I wonder if you're just 1 repeat incident away from triggering lemon laws (if not repairable). What state are you in?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not notice any difference driving. Car was on the lift and they didn't let me go in and look today.
They think my transmission will go back to factory to be investigated since it's such a rare issue.
I'm in California. Doesn't lemon law apply to multiple attempts to repair same issue? They haven't really done anything yet.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I did not notice any difference driving. Car was on the lift and they didn't let me go in and look today.
They think my transmission will go back to factory to be investigated since it's such a rare issue.
I'm in California. Doesn't lemon law apply to multiple attempts to repair same issue? They haven't really done anything yet.
It's paraphrased as a 'substantial defect' covered by new car warranty AND not fixed after a 'reasonable number of repair attempts' to the extent it impairs use, value or safety of the vehicle. Key wording in the CA Lemon Law: "Each occasion that an opportunity for repairs is provided counts as an attempt, even if no repairs are actually undertaken." By my count, you're at least at attempt #2.

If it's a serious safety defect (e.g. brakes, steering) and not fixed after one repair attempt, lemon law is triggered. Otherwise in CA, the trigger is after 4 repair attempts OR once the car has been in repair shop for ~30 days in the past year.

CA Lemon Law Standards - https://bbbnp-bbbp-stf-use1-01.s3.a...to-line/lemon-law-summaries/ca-ll-summary.pdf
CA Lemon Law Summary Table - https://bbbnp-bbbp-stf-use1-01.s3.a...ce/auto-line/lemon-law-charts/ca-ll-chart.pdf

·
Registered
148 Posts

They came back saying they have never seen this kind of leak before. It wasn't leaking from the gasket or any of the bolts. They called it "sweating" from the transmission casing itself. They admitted it is defective and probably needs to be swapped. However, they have to wait for Honda to approve all of it before they can start working on it. They are not even sure if they can get a brand new transmission right away. They couldn't even get me a loaner without approval. I am going back tomorrow to either take my car back or get a loaner from the dealership without Honda approval. We will see what happens.
since its a casting, it probably has some porosity that is leading to the seepage. replacement is the only option. too bad that it slipped through and was able to be machined and assembled without detection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went back to the dealer to pick up my rental car and they said all the rental companies are bankrupt or closed. If I wanted to take my car, I had to sign a waiver saying Honda will not be liable for any damages. So my car sits at the dealer with no solution. They said they ordered new transmission without Honda approval because they know it will get approved. They have no idea when and where the new transmission is coming from. They told me to drive to nearest airport to pay for my own rental car and they will reimburse later. I have a S2000 in my garage. I would rather not drive to work in it but that looks like that maybe my only option for at least next week. I even tried to trade my Insight in and get a 2020 Insight but I really don't want my payment to go up. Staff at the dealer agreed that I'm in a screwed up situation but there's not much they can do right now. Hopefully they will have some answers on Monday.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I went back to the dealer to pick up my rental car and they said all the rental companies are bankrupt or closed. If I wanted to take my car, I had to sign a waiver saying Honda will not be liable for any damages. So my car sits at the dealer with no solution. They said they ordered new transmission without Honda approval because they know it will get approved. They have no idea when and where the new transmission is coming from.
I'm surprised your dealer doesn't do "self-rentals" - as in, renting you a car from their own pool of vehicles. I'd think it would be cheaper/faster for them to do, and more convenient for their customers.

Has the dealer provided a "case number"? If not, it might be worth contacting Honda Customer Service as well; snapshot below is from Insight base warranty booklet:

@jdlynch and @Scott K. traded their 2019 Touring for a 2020 Touring, and @dabfaces went from a 2019 EX to 2020 Touring. Perhaps they can offer some perspective to you on pricing/trade. The warranty mentions repairs and replacements are included for up to 5 yrs/60k miles. Rental coverage isn't mentioned, and Honda might use it to "offset" the loss-of-use clause in lemon law.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
They said they ordered new transmission without Honda approval because they know it will get approved. They have no idea when and where the new transmission is coming from.
HMIN will build all Insight models for the North American market and has invested $32.5 million to support production of the new Insight. Three Ohio plants contribute the Insight’s powertrain. Honda Transmission Manufacturing of America (HTM), in Russells Point, Ohio, has invested $29 million for production of the Insight’s twin electric motor unit, which is the heart of the Insight’s innovative gas-electric hybrid powertrain. The Insight’s hybrid battery pack is assembled at the company’s Marysville, Ohio auto plant, where Honda also produces the just-launched 2019 Accord Hybrid. The Insight’s 1.5-liter Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine is produced at the company’s Anna, Ohio engine plant.1
I'm guessing it's coming from the Honda Transmission plant in Ohio like brand new Insights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn't receive any updates from the dealer. I had to call this afternoon to find out what was going on. Honda is basically telling them to repeat the process of cleaning and applying powder to verify the porous leak again. We don't know how long it will take to start leaking again! I drove it for 600 miles in a month to leak.... At least the unapproved (by Honda) transmission is on it's way by FedEx but no delivery date. I still don't have a rental. I could go to LA international Airport to get one and pay for it myself only to get reimbursed $35 per day. And they don't offer $35 rental at the airport. I have to pay the difference out of my pocket. This really stinks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts