Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I picked up my new insight EX back in late August of 2019. I haven't had any problems with it at all untill now (11/22/19). I commute alot (100 miles a day) so when I found the new insight I knew it would be perfect for what I needed. But now all of a sudden my transmission is starting to shift rough. (Which is weird because it doesn't have a traditional transmission that would get a "rough shift") I only have 6,500 miles on the clock so it can't be from age or wear and tear yet. It happens most when im cruising between 30-55 mph, if I step on the gas to get a little more power I feel like the car is going to stall out for a second, as I get a tossed a little towards the steering wheel, before doing this rough shift and it jerks me back in my seat a bit. The opposite is true when I let off the gas, then I feel like the car is gonna stall out, I feel a rough transition of power and then I'm kind of tossed toward the steering wheel. Im really worried about this because I need this car. Other than that it's been amazing so far and no other complaints. However I was wondering if anyone knows about this or experienced the same problem. Thanks so much in advance and I'll answer any other questions anyone might need about me or the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Haven't experienced this... but the gas/electric engine hand-off can happen in the 30-55 mpg speed range you mention.

Have you noticed (via power flow diagram on DII or infotainment screen) what combination of gas/electric is happening when you feel the rough shifting? It might help narrow down what the issue is. Is it happening more at certain temperatures (cold weather) or load conditions (# passengers or hill)? And maybe if a passenger could film, it could 'help us help you' to diagnose further.

But I'll also add that you're still under warranty, so a visit to the dealer wouldn't hurt either.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
Could be the direct drive lock-up is having an issue. It wouldn't necessarily throw a warning/code.

If it's repeatable, it's something Honda should be able to see and fix.

·
Super Moderator
3,320 Posts
Could be the direct drive lock-up is having an issue. It wouldn't necessarily throw a warning/code.

If it's repeatable, it's something Honda should be able to see and fix.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking as well... the 30-55 mph speed range is where this could happen. There's a clutch that engages for this transition, so very well could be how it's mechanically engaging/disengaging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts