Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now I've gotten the "Apply Parking Break" message, followed by the "Stop Driving When Safe" message when I've turned my car on. I'm never in motion and it appears as soon as I press the power button. I haven't seen the indicator, or the description of the problem, just the visual warning messages. I haven't observed any leaking fluid or any abnormal operation, but I thought I'd ask here before I take it in.

I've only had the car essentially 4 months, and I just hit 10,000 miles. I don't drive fast for mpg purposes, I haven't hit anything on or below the car, or really anything other than drive to and from work. I don't see any recalls listed for my VIN. Could this be a false positive?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Have you put a code reader on it?

Also, it you cannot easily duplicate the problem I will let you know step one of all the dealer's manuals say to kick you out of the door and smile.

A random code for proof.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha! Thanks for the heads up.

It just happened once yesterday morning and this morning. The I didn't catch most of the message the first time, and just barely caught it today. I haven't done anything like a code reader yet. I just find it weird to have the messages without the symptoms.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's an update in case anyone has a similar problem.

The symptoms began to appear shortly after the first post. I would start the car, but not be able to select a gear. Turning it off and on again fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the symptoms worsened. One morning I was almost late for work because the ON/OFF method did nothing. For 15 minutes I was unable to get the car out of park.

I took the car in for an oil change and tire rotation. They ran diagnostics on the car and confirmed the transmission problem. The multi-point inspection did not indicate any other anomaly. The text on the invoice states:

'C/S Transmission system indicator is on
P271A PARK PAWL position sensor A circuit low
Will need to have vehicle dropped off for further diag[nostics] and testing'

I returned two days later and the updated test/invoice indicated an electrical problem. That test states:

'C/S Transmission system indicator light is on in the dash
Please check and advise to move forward
Performed diag[nostic] and found connector at parking pawl actuator soft set.
Improved connect, cleared code and test drove.
System normal at this time'

Since then, I haven't had any issues and all seems normal again. I'm not all that happy to be having electrical problems 4 months into owning the car, but that's life. I'm hoping this isn't indicative of future problems.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here's an update in case anyone has a similar problem.

The symptoms began to appear shortly after the first post. I would start the car, but not be able to select a gear. Turning it off and on again fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the symptoms worsened. One morning I was almost late for work because the ON/OFF method did nothing. For 15 minutes I was unable to get the car out of park.

I took the car in for an oil change and tire rotation. They ran diagnostics on the car and confirmed the transmission problem. The multi-point inspection did not indicate any other anomaly. The text on the invoice states:

'C/S Transmission system indicator is on
P271A PARK PAWL position sensor A circuit low
Will need to have vehicle dropped off for further diag[nostics] and testing'

I returned two days later and the updated test/invoice indicated an electrical problem. That test states:

'C/S Transmission system indicator light is on in the dash
Please check and advise to move forward
Performed diag[nostic] and found connector at parking pawl actuator soft set.
Improved connect, cleared code and test drove.
System normal at this time'

Since then, I haven't had any issues and all seems normal again. I'm not all that happy to be having electrical problems 4 months into owning the car, but that's life. I'm hoping this isn't indicative of future problems.
Sounds like the connector wasn’t fully snapped in place at the factory, causing a loose connection. I wouldn’t worry about it. It happens and sounds like it simply needed to be seated correctly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not too bothered by it. I've already had many good experiences with the car, so this being the first one and so soon made me somewhat unhappy.
I've been lucky enough to not get the rattle and other problems mentioned, so I'll take an easily fixed loose connection just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts