Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a search I noticed there was no dedicated thread. Seems like the safe bet for fuel/maintenance/cost tracking apps/websites is Fuelly.

Wondering if anyone else uses any others? In reading a few articles and reviews I noticed the following are popular:

• myCarFax
  • Fuelio
  • Simply Auto
Thoughts/comments/advice?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
You're right that Fuelly has been the most-discussed tracking app to-date.

However, there are 'only' 270 Gen3 (2019+) Insights currently registered on Fuelly, so there might be other apps owners prefer... OR owners like myself that track in old-school spreadsheets... OR not at all. :)

My spreadsheet process was inspired by @hasarad's example, though he has since abandoned it for the Fuelly app alone.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
Fuelly.com seems to be the most versatile. It can track fuel, service and other notes. There is no way to sort within Fuelly by MPG. The Fuelly folks explained why, and it made perfect sense. They did not want to give the opportunity for one user to input fake mileage to get to the top of the list. This is why the order in Fuelly is based upon the most recent fill-up. With hundreds (or thousands) of cars registered, one would need to page through to find the highest. This is not something anyone would do, and it makes faking data not really practical since it would service no purpose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right that Fuelly has been the most-discussed tracking app to-date.

However, there are 'only' 270 Gen3 (2019+) Insights currently registered on Fuelly, so there might be other apps owners prefer... OR owners like myself that track in old-school spreadsheets... OR not at all. :)

My spreadsheet process was inspired by @hasarad's example, though he has since abandoned it for the Fuelly app alone.
I was a spreadhseet guy forever with older vehicles, I was a hardcore hypermiler in the mid 2000s with my 1998 Altima. And now stepping into the Hybrid space I'm curious to track costs and see if the payback period for a Hybrid (plus tangible savings) rings true. I'm going to download a few (I briefly used Simply Auto with my Explorer for maintenance) and see which one I like best.

·
Super Moderator
1,237 Posts
I was a spreadhseet guy forever with older vehicles, I was a hardcore hypermiler in the mid 2000s with my 1998 Altima. And now stepping into the Hybrid space I'm curious to track costs and see if the payback period for a Hybrid (plus tangible savings) rings true. I'm going to download a few (I briefly used Simply Auto with my Explorer for maintenance) and see which one I like best.
Fuelly is pretty good about breaking down cost.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was a spreadsheet person for many, many years. A few years back I switched to the Fuelio app and have been extremely pleased with it. I've only had my Insight for about 6,000 miles so far. I haven't done any maintenance yet. I've attached a screenshot of some of the statistics that it provides.

I also enter fuel up information into fuelly.com I don't find it as useful or easy to use, but I enter the data anyway because I know it builds a database that is useful to other people.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone used an OBD dongle device to track trips in their Insight? I used to use Automatic's offering until Sirius XM killed off that product recently, so I've been looking for other options. Bouncie (Bouncie Website) seems to be the most 1 to 1 replacement for Automatic, but I also found that T-Mobile has their SyncUP Drive kit that seems fairly similar. The SyncUP Drive site claims that the Insight may not be compatible, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

Does anyone have experience with any of these services, or has another one that they recommend? I like being able to go back and see where I've driven, what my MPG was on certain legs of trips, and be able to aggregate driving data into spreadsheets to track against tire wear and service intervals.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My car came with this installed by the dealership. It seems to have some of the functionality you're looking for. You can also export the data to a spreadsheet.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
My car came with this installed by the dealership. It seems to have some of the functionality you're looking for. You can also export the data to a spreadsheet.
I'm surprised that a dealer pre-installed this. Do they use it so make service/maintenance recommendations to you, or is it completely disconnected from the dealer once the car is sold?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm surprised that a dealer pre-installed this. Do they use it so make service/maintenance recommendations to you, or is it completely disconnected from the dealer once the car is sold?
Yes, they use it to make service recommendations. It can also scan for error codes, which the app calls a health check. If I perform the scan at least once a month I get additional service discounts. Finally, I can track my vehicle with the app. This gives me an additional insurance discount.

It comes with a dongle that plugs into the obd2 port. If I decide I don't want it I simply have to unplug it. I personally like the benefits it provides though so I have left it installed.

The dealership gave me a bunch of paperwork and walked through it's use when I bought the car, so it's not like they installed it without my knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Interesting that this was installed by your dealer, it looks like it actually does exactly what I'm looking for but the dongle doesn't seem to be available for sale. I wonder if they're only selling to partners right now like dealers?

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Interesting that this was installed by your dealer, it looks like it actually does exactly what I'm looking for but the dongle doesn't seem to be available for sale. I wonder if they're only selling to partners right now like dealers?
Yes, seems like "Savy Driver" targeted to dealers based on the following message on their site: "We'll help you improve your business, efficiency and profitably." A company called "EasyCare Dealers Solutions" is listed as the parent company for the Savy Driver technology.

Maybe there's a dealer near you that uses this and would be happy to add you as a customer. Or maybe if you install the app, it can tell/list dealers around you that use it.

For grins, I did a quick google of Honda / Savy and these dealers came up (along with other Ford, Toyota, Mazda dealers). One of the dealer sites list it as a 'theft deterrent device':
  • FL - Brandon Honda (Tampa)
  • WA - South Tacoma Honda (Tacoma)
  • VA - Harrisonburg Honda (Harrisonburg)
  • CA - Galpin Honda (San Fernando)

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
@wandatin Your dealership must be a high volume dealer because I've never seen so many Insights and Claritys at one dealership. 😮

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
@wandatin Your dealership must be a high volume dealer because I've never seen so many Insights and Claritys at one dealership. 😮
Looks like the South Tacoma Honda site boasts the highest Google rating for a Honda dealer in western WA, and being the #1 volume certified pre-owned Honda dealer in WA. They also appear to be the only WA dealer offering Savy Driver / Elite Loyalty program.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts