Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I found a solution for the trunk. We can mod our trunk with a hydraulic rod.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Trunk...k-2018-2020-10thGen-Honda-Civic-/264469504032
^For the Civic but I think our trunk is the exact same as the Civic.
Seems like a step back, as the trunk used to move to more of an open position naturally on Hondas. I can't imagine that the trunk door is heavier, and if it's a common issue across the Insight and other models, it seems that Honda's 'new' spring/opening design is what's changed and/or flawed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like a step back, as the trunk used to move to more of an open position naturally on Hondas. I can't imagine that the trunk door is heavier, and if it's a common issue across the Insight and other models, it seems that Honda's 'new' spring/opening design is what's changed and/or flawed.
From what I remember of my 09 Civic the trunk does open a little more than the Insight but I would still need to lift it to fully open. I doubt it's a new design or flaw more like intentional cost cutting by the bean counters. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
836 Posts
I wonder, I'll have to look, I know in my first gen Neon's, the trunk spring had 3 attachment points, and you could adjust how tight the spring was (how much it "popped" open).

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
From what I remember of my 09 Civic the trunk does open a little more than the Insight but I would still need to lift it to fully open. I doubt it's a new design or flaw more like intentional cost cutting by the bean counters. :rolleyes:
I still have my 90s Honda and it certainly opens more. I can at least see the trunk raised and/or not level, while the Insight's trunk pretty much stays in the same position when open or closed.

I foresee battery drain problems coming if I use the interior trunk release but maybe walk away or forget I did that... which would be tragic on this battery-sensitive car. The 'visual' part of seeing a trunk light or ajar trunk lid is gone on the Insight.

Hoping the spring adjustments @Wifey'sInsight is checking, pan out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I still have my 90s Honda and it certainly opens more. I can at least see the trunk raised and/or not level, while the Insight's trunk pretty much stays in the same position when open or closed.

I foresee battery drain problems coming if I use the interior trunk release but maybe walk away or forget I did that... which would be tragic on this battery-sensitive car. The 'visual' part of seeing a trunk light or ajar trunk lid is gone on the Insight.

Hoping the spring adjustments @Wifey'sInsight is checking, pan out.
Unfortunately the Insight doesn't look to use springs at all, if I had to guess it's not actually designed to move more than what the trunk seals push up on it. It's been too cold and I haven't had enough daylight record from inside the trunk to see if anything else is at play.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Unfortunately the Insight doesn't look to use springs at all, if I had to guess it's not actually designed to move more than what the trunk seals push up on it. It's been too cold and I haven't had enough daylight record from inside the trunk to see if anything else is at play.
Not surprised... what you described is exactly how it acts/opens. It barely moves going from closed to 'popped' position. I wonder what Honda changed, and why they thought it was a good idea (!).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is anyone familiar with the below? I would like to install this on my insight just to assist opening the trunk completely as opposed to the current ajarred job it does.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Is anyone familiar with the below? I would like to install this on my insight just to assist opening the trunk completely as opposed to the current ajarred job it does.
No one in forum has reported making this mod on the Insight yet. However, there's an "update + installation tip" video above in the first post, created by the same owner as the video you found. The 'soft' opening of the Insight's trunk makes me semi-paranoid that I'll drain the 12V battery some day because I won't realize the trunk is open. It's way less obvious that the trunk is open on the Insight, than on any other Honda I've owned.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I went ahead and order the hydraulic parts for my Insight and there is a couple of videos I found on the install. I think it will be nice as long as it functions the way it depicts in the videos. I also ordered LED strip lighting for the trunk and thats a simple install without the hassle of running wires to the fuse box. Little cosmetic things, make it just nice to have and of course its inexpensive which is a bonus

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
729 Posts
You know if you can get some of the replacement springs that come with the spoiler kit I'll bet the trunk would open up by itself assuming you don't install the spoiler too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I already that kit, so should arrive next week and I'll see how the install goes over the week...keep you posted

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I received the hydraulics for 10th gen civ and attempted to install them on my insight. It was a bit of a chore putting down the back seats and crawling into the trunk. The holes in the trunk are not easily accessible and I was smart only to put one side in and testing the trunk. Unfortunately, the hydraulics itself are too long and the trunk would not close as I slowly closed it to check for sizing. I attempted to spin/tightened down the hydraulics to see if they could be adjusted and no luck. Packed everything back, got my return shipping label and will be returning for a refund....back to square one in search for something that will work on the insight.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Well, I received the hydraulics for 10th gen civ and attempted to install them on my insight. It was a bit of a chore putting down the back seats and crawling into the trunk. The holes in the trunk are not easily accessible and I was smart only to put one side in and testing the trunk. Unfortunately, the hydraulics itself are too long and the trunk would not close as I slowly closed it to check for sizing. I attempted to spin/tightened down the hydraulics to see if they could be adjusted and no luck. Packed everything back, got my return shipping label and will be returning for a refund....back to square one in search for something that will work on the insight.
I'm surprised that it didn't fit, as side-by-side the Civic and Insight look structurally similar (except for front end and rear tail lights). To confirm, the hydraulics kit was for a GenX Civic Sedan (vs Hatch)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was for GenX Civic Sedan...there has to be someone, who came up with their technical skills. The other thing is the back seat, plastic portion leading to the back, is definitely not easily accessible to remove. I didn't get the far, but there is a lot of plastic back there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts