Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trunk tray

Does anyone has any recommendations for a trunk mat or tray? I know there an OEM one available, but wondering if there’s something better or more economical. I see there are lots of aftermarket ones a a available for the Civic. Think those would fit the Insight?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
This is where eBay is your friend. Many Honda dealers sell via eBay. I got my trunk mat for $60 with free shipping. Bide your time and you'll find a deal.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
I lurked on College Hills Honda's website for a couple weeks when I got my Insight. The trunk tray eventually goes on sale. I'm happy with it so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
With a few more months of learning now over early adopters... the Civic trunk tray fits perfectly into the Insight trunk space. (As with the rear seat covers, I pre-measured Civic and Insight trunk dimensions and found them to be identical.)

The Civic OEM trunk tray is ~30% cheaper than the Insight OEM trunk tray, as long as you're okay with the CIVIC logo as pointed out in this thread. However, the OEM trunk tray weighs ~10 lbs and isn't a very "grippy" rubber. Verdier points out this learning in one of his early videos.

Knowing the dimensions were like the Civic and wanting something more lightweight, I opted for an aftermarket Civic "foam" (thermoplastic elastomer rubber) trunk tray. It fits well, was available for <$20, weighs <2 lbs, is "grippy"-er than OEM, and is serving its purpose well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Insightfully do you have a link for that or a store it was bought from? I’m wanting to replace my tray (was part of the purchase) since it doesn’t keep anything from sliding all over the place and didn’t for my 15 civic either when I had it.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Insightfully do you have a link for that or a store it was bought from? I’m wanting to replace my tray (was part of the purchase) since it doesn’t keep anything from sliding all over the place and didn’t for my 15 civic either when I had it.
This is what I ordered on eBay, but I got it for $17 rather than the $40 current list price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automobile-Rear-Trunk-Boot-Liner-Cargo-Mat-Floor-Pad-for-Honda-Civic-2017-2018/253936296147

There are many similar/cheaper options on eBay listed as "cargo mat" or "trunk tray" so I personally wouldn't purchase this for $40. To ensure you get the right version, only considered cargo mats that specify 92 cm by 137 cm - rather than depending on the seller's model year description.

The mat ships rolled up, so takes a little bit of bending to get it flattened back out. Very low/no odor as well, in my opinion. I think the trunk tray has more grip than the OEM because the foam material has give, rather than being rigid hard plastic.

If you haven't already measured your Insight trunk, this Civic post has helpful dimensions and are the same as the trunk space available in the Insight

·
Registered
70 Posts
The genuine OEM cargo tray is up on Amazon as well, but at $90 I think a lot of people will hold off on a sale. Some dealers have it directly up on their sites too and I've seen it as low as $75. Depends if you care about it being custom fit or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
The genuine OEM cargo tray is up on Amazon as well, but at $90 I think a lot of people will hold off on a sale. Some dealers have it directly up on their sites too and I've seen it as low as $75. Depends if you care about it being custom fit or not.
The fit is exactly the same as the Civic (I measured!), so the difference between buying the OEM ones is preference of "Insight" logo rather than "Civic" logo. Since stuff is normally on top of the trunk tray, I considered buying the Civic OEM version. But again, it comes down to personal preference.

I think the Civic trunk trays are more discounted because there are more Civics on the road (i.e. higher sales volume/potential) and it's the start of trunk tray inventory sell down ahead of Civic redesign that will come in ~2 years.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I bought my Touring and was surprised on delivery that the Honda trunk tray was in there. Things do slide all over back there, so I'd almost consider just getting the Honda carpet liner or get the 3D Kagu https://3dmatsusa.com/material-detail/3trunk liner to match the 3D Kagu mats https://3dmatsusa.com/material-detail/1 that I found in the car. The 3D does provide a lip, so it makes it easier to keep things clean back there.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
I bought my Touring and was surprised on delivery that the Honda trunk tray was in there. Things do slide all over back there, so I'd almost consider just getting the Honda carpet liner or get the 3D Kagu https://3dmatsusa.com/material-detail/3trunk liner to match the 3D Kagu mats https://3dmatsusa.com/material-detail/1 that I found in the car. The 3D does provide a lip, so it makes it easier to keep things clean back there.
Was your Touring pre-owned? Pretty unusual to find custom Kagu (non-OEM) floor mats already in a new car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yep forgot to mention my Touring was 3 months preowned. It seems like the previous owner exercised a good amount of care in picking out their accessories (skipping Honda all-weather mats, but getting the Honda trunk tray and splash guards).

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Yep forgot to mention my Touring was 3 months preowned. It seems like the previous owner exercised a good amount of care in picking out their accessories (skipping Honda all-weather mats, but getting the Honda trunk tray and splash guards).
Also possible that the OEM accessory tray and splash guards were included in original purchaser's car, then supplemented by the aftermarket Kagu mats. The Kagu mats are pretty popular on the Civic forums, so it makes me think the prior owner was familiar with Civics.

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I bought my Gen2 Insight the salesman, also a friend, got me the cargo tray. Much to my delight it fits pretty well in my 2019, not perfect, but good enough!

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is what I ordered on eBay, but I got it for $17 rather than the $40 current list price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automobile-Rear-Trunk-Boot-Liner-Cargo-Mat-Floor-Pad-for-Honda-Civic-2017-2018/253936296147

There are many similar/cheaper options on eBay listed as "cargo mat" or "trunk tray" so I personally wouldn't purchase this for $40. To ensure you get the right version, only considered cargo mats that specify 92 cm by 137 cm - rather than depending on the seller's model year description.

The mat ships rolled up, so takes a little bit of bending to get it flattened back out. Very low/no odor as well, in my opinion. I think the trunk tray has more grip than the OEM because the foam material has give, rather than being rigid hard plastic.

If you haven't already measured your Insight trunk, this Civic post has helpful dimensions and are the same as the trunk space available in the Insight
I took your advice and also ordered one from Hong Kong. Here is the listing: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fit-For-Honda-Civic-2016-2018-Sedan-Rear-Trunk-Tray-Boot-Cargo-Liner-Floor-Mat/311939867253?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
It arrived in about 3 weeks at a cost of U.S. 18.39 and free shipping to Canada. I was not expecting much for that price but I was pleasantly surprised. It fits like a glove, with the raised edges just as I wanted. The surface I suspect is the same foam material as insightfully got and it provides more grip than the hard plastic type. Bonus is that it looks good as well, although it doesn't have an Insight logo on it.

·
Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
Costco has them
The one(s) Costco carries are universal/trim-to-fit, if I remember correctly. Maybe I've gotten too lazy, but I didn't feel like measuring/trimming/re-trimming so opted for a custom-fit one instead. The custom non-OEM versions seemed worthwhile for <$20 shipped, via ebay.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also possible that the OEM accessory tray and splash guards were included in original purchaser's car, then supplemented by the aftermarket Kagu mats. The Kagu mats are pretty popular on the Civic forums, so it makes me think the prior owner was familiar with Civics.
After a few months with the Honda Insight trunk tray...the trunk is now more full (with all the stuff that used to be in my 2007 Civic EX which I just sold), so things don't slide around so much anymore, but what is useful is when you need to load/unload luggage that you can slide in a heavy case in and out easily and not care so much that the plastic gets scratched. Whereas I wonder if a Kagu trunk mat is more non-slip and would markup with sliding luggage.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts