Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trunk tray

Does anyone has any recommendations for a trunk mat or tray? I know there an OEM one available, but wondering if there’s something better or more economical. I see there are lots of aftermarket ones a a available for the Civic. Think those would fit the Insight?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,562 Posts
This is where eBay is your friend. Many Honda dealers sell via eBay. I got my trunk mat for $60 with free shipping. Bide your time and you'll find a deal.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
If it helps, the Civic OEM trunk tray (08U45-TBA-100) has been available on Amazon since Nov 2018 for <$50 with free shipping. Estimated weight is ~4 lbs. Just enter the part number to search. It pays to shop around!

I opted for a lighter-weight non-OEM foam trunk tray from eBay, but had been eyeing the OEM item on Amazon since October.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If it helps, the Civic OEM trunk tray (08U45-TBA-100) has been available on Amazon since Nov 2018 for <$50 with free shipping. Estimated weight is ~4 lbs. Just enter the part number to search. It pays to shop around!

I opted for a lighter-weight non-OEM foam trunk tray from eBay, but had been eyeing the OEM item on Amazon since October.
Yeah as long as you don't mind the CIVIC logo on it lol, I am not putting that on my insight, rather pay 25 more bucks to get the original Insight tray. Trunk Tray

Just so you know the part no. for the original one is 08U45-TXM-100 and not 08U45-TBA-100 and it's not available on amazon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If it helps, the OEM trunk tray (08U45-TBA-100) has been available on Amazon since Nov 2018 for <$50 with free shipping. Estimated weight is ~4 lbs. Just enter the part number to search. It pays to shop around!
Not bad for a cheap cargo tray. Not sure if I want to go for hard plastic (causes stuff to slide around in the trunk), or something that grips more like soft rubber. Thanks for the tip though!

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Yeah as long as you don't mind the CIVIC logo on it lol
Ah, true! I forgot that I had been looking at Civic parts alongside Insight parts, for cost savings and since the chassis are similar. I usually have things atop the trunk tray and didn't mind the Civic logo. (I also bought the Civic rear seat cover with logo - LOL.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ah, true! I forgot that I had been looking at Civic parts alongside Insight parts, for cost savings and since the chassis are similar. I usually have things atop the trunk tray and didn't mind the Civic logo. (I also bought the Civic rear seat cover with logo - LOL.)

Hahaha as long as you don't mind it, why bother right :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I bought the Civic Trunk Tray (08U45-TBA-100) from Honda Part Unlimited on Amazon for $49.16 with free shipping. The trunk tray arrived today and it fit my Honda Insight EX. Just want to let you guys know if you're considering the trunk tray but don't want to pay around $100 for the Insight version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B017WHLG60/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Hi Andrew. What do you think of the Honda trunk tray? Is the build quality decent? Is it thick or thin plastic? Is it more "rubbery" like an all weather floor mat? Also, would you consider it heavy or light considering its size? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,999 Posts
Hi Andrew. What do you think of the Honda trunk tray? Is the build quality decent? Is it thick or thin plastic? Is it more "rubbery" like an all weather floor mat? Also, would you consider it heavy or light considering its size? Thanks!
I normally drive with an empty trunk but I think it will hold up for what I plan to use it for like carrying groceries and sometimes luggage.

• I would say it is more on the thin side.
  • It does not feel rubbery, it feels like hard plastic.
  • I would say it is light considering its size. (weighs around 10 pounds based on the shipping label)
If you go to the link and check the reviews section. Some amazon customers posted pictures of the trunk tray.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I normally drive with an empty trunk but I think it will hold up for what I plan to use it for like carrying groceries and sometimes luggage.

• I would say it is more on the thin side.
  • It does not feel rubbery, it feels like hard plastic.
  • I would say it is light considering its size. (weighs around 10 pounds based on the shipping label)
If you go to the link and check the reviews section. Some amazon customers posted pictures of the trunk tray.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
726 Posts
I bought the Civic Trunk Tray (08U45-TBA-100) from Honda Part Unlimited on Amazon for $49.16 with free shipping. The trunk tray arrived today and it fit my Honda Insight EX. Just want to let you guys know if you're considering the trunk tray but don't want to pay around $100 for the Insight version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B017WHLG60/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Well I followed your link and ordered the same one. It should arrive today and I plan on filming it and putting it on my YouTube channel for anyone who wants to see a video of what it looks like in a touring model. Channel name is verdier 400 and I'll try to post later the name of the video once it's up.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Insight Touring
726 Posts

Well I followed your link and ordered the same one. It should arrive today and I plan on filming it and putting it on my YouTube channel for anyone who wants to see a video of what it looks like in a touring model. Channel name is verdier 400 and I'll try to post later the name of the video once it's up.
Okay it's up for anyone who wants to see what it looks like in living color and full motion😉. Sorry for my fat fingers intruding on the video. Title: "2019 Honda Insight trunk tray review"

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I bought the Civic Trunk Tray (08U45-TBA-100) from Honda Part Unlimited on Amazon for $49.16 with free shipping. The trunk tray arrived today and it fit my Honda Insight EX. Just want to let you guys know if you're considering the trunk tray but don't want to pay around $100 for the Insight version. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B017WHLG60/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
Congrats on your purchases! I suggested similar part earlier in this thread and was reminded that the trade-off for lower price is CIVIC logo (vs Insight logo). I think it's TOTALLY worth the savings, since the mat is the same size and the trunk tray will likely have "stuff" sitting on it anyhow... but did want to flag the logo difference as a reminder for those who plan to buy! :smile: https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5078-post21.html

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,562 Posts
I lurked on College Hills Honda's website for a couple weeks when I got my Insight. The trunk tray eventually goes on sale. I'm happy with it so far.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
With a few more months of learning now over early adopters... the Civic trunk tray fits perfectly into the Insight trunk space. (As with the rear seat covers, I pre-measured Civic and Insight trunk dimensions and found them to be identical.)

The Civic OEM trunk tray is ~30% cheaper than the Insight OEM trunk tray, as long as you're okay with the CIVIC logo as pointed out in this thread. However, the OEM trunk tray weighs ~10 lbs and isn't a very "grippy" rubber. Verdier points out this learning in one of his early videos.

Knowing the dimensions were like the Civic and wanting something more lightweight, I opted for an aftermarket Civic "foam" (thermoplastic elastomer rubber) trunk tray. It fits well, was available for <$20, weighs <2 lbs, is "grippy"-er than OEM, and is serving its purpose well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Insightfully do you have a link for that or a store it was bought from? I’m wanting to replace my tray (was part of the purchase) since it doesn’t keep anything from sliding all over the place and didn’t for my 15 civic either when I had it.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Insightfully do you have a link for that or a store it was bought from? I’m wanting to replace my tray (was part of the purchase) since it doesn’t keep anything from sliding all over the place and didn’t for my 15 civic either when I had it.
This is what I ordered on eBay, but I got it for $17 rather than the $40 current list price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automobile...or-Pad-for-Honda-Civic-2017-2018/253936296147

There are many similar/cheaper options on eBay listed as "cargo mat" or "trunk tray" so I personally wouldn't purchase this for $40. To ensure you get the right version, only considered cargo mats that specify 92 cm by 137 cm - rather than depending on the seller's model year description.

The mat ships rolled up, so takes a little bit of bending to get it flattened back out. Very low/no odor as well, in my opinion. I think the trunk tray has more grip than the OEM because the foam material has give, rather than being rigid hard plastic.

If you haven't already measured your Insight trunk, this Civic post has helpful dimensions and are the same as the trunk space available in the Insight

·
Registered
70 Posts
The genuine OEM cargo tray is up on Amazon as well, but at $90 I think a lot of people will hold off on a sale. Some dealers have it directly up on their sites too and I've seen it as low as $75. Depends if you care about it being custom fit or not.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts