Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our recent Hyundai rental car turned down radio volume when directions were provided . We were using Google Maps on Apple phone. We did not adjust setting on the rental.

our current setting on our Insight continues to play the radio while the directional info is being spoken. We liked the rental car experience but after a few tries, we could not mute the radio during the Maps turn by turn directions.

is there a setting we are not considering on phone, radio, or both?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,253 Posts
I think you need to toggle on "Play as Bluetooth phone call" in google maps app if you want the radio to be muted while navigation instructions are provided. If you're using google maps in Apple CarPlay you might need to change Guidance volume to "Louder" from "Normal" in the app.

·
Registered
18 Posts
One thing I have done is to adjust the navigation volume level higher than the radio volume. That is done by adjusting the volume on the steering wheel "while" the navigation voice is playing. I also turn down the radio volume a bit. The key thing to know is when the radio is playing the volume buttons (and knob) only adjusts the radio volume. When the navigation voice is playing the volume buttons adjust only the nav volume.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you need to toggle on "Play as Bluetooth phone call" in google maps app if you want the radio to be muted while navigation instructions are provided. If you're using google maps in Apple CarPlay you might need to change Guidance volume to "Louder" from "Normal" in the app.
Your suggestion worked on iphone with Google Maps. The radio and podcast are muted. However, It did not mute while playing youtube music but we are still playing around with that. Her review of youtube is there do not appear to be any setting to change. We will keep looking.

I have an android phone and haven't tested it yet. I will test it soon.

Thanks andrew28 and everyone for your suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your suggestion worked on iphone with Google Maps. The radio and podcast are muted. However, It did not mute while playing youtube music but we are still playing around with that. Her review of youtube is there do not appear to be any setting to change. We will keep looking.

I have an android phone and haven't tested it yet. I will test it soon.

Thanks andrew28 and everyone for your suggestions.
I am now working on my Pixel 3A phone. I ordered a new cable that was 'recognized' by the appropriate certification organization per some recommendations on line and comments about the success of other Android users. The cable worked with another Android phone on my car. Started right up just like it should. But, it does not work with my phone. So, I am assuming my Pixel 3A is the problem.

I ordered a new Pixel 6A. Not a bad deal as they are giving me $300 for my 3A when I return it to them. The program asks a few operation questions about your existing phone and depnding on the condition, a person can qualify for the full $300 rebate. One question for example, does your phone turn on/off? Mine does along with the other questions that should result in the maximum $300 rebate.

So, I am hopeful the new phone will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts