Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NW9D8FG/

I was impressed by that video, the price, and the amazon reviews so I bought a bottle to try. Currently waiting for Amazon to ship it to me. Looks like the turtle wax will stand up better to chemicals that try to remove it which means it will work well against the soap used at car washes which I frequent.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Will be interested in your experience on this, as I previously followed your recommendation for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax but was looking for something new after using up the bottle. I'm particularly interested in your comparison between the two products in terms of ease of application and durability/results. The Turtle Wax ICE line refers to resin/polymer technology rather than Meguiar's pitch for hybrid/ceramic/sealant.

The liquid version of TW ICE lasted 11 months in this video review shared by @safedad... which is surprising result for a low-cost wax. And a separate review found TW's spray application more durable than TW's liquid application (though tested/compared on different formulations). Hopefully these two factors combined mean that the Seal & Shine are even more effective than the products shown.

The 'pollen-magnet' nature for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is showing up in reviews other than mine, confirming that my experience with it wasn't unique. The pollen rinses off easily, but there's definitely something 'sticky' about the HCW finish that attracts dust MUCH faster than without.

Reviews for the TW ICE S&S launch are currently trending on youtube (same as when Meguiar's HCW when it launched); but youtube is so flooded with 'influensters' and it'd be nice to get your "real" perspective instead!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Factor 4 synthetic wax system

Insightfully-Good article. In Feb. issue of a leading car magazine Factor 4 by Rustoleum had a full page advertisement on their wax. I was impressed. I bought the kit . Kinda expensive. Fine print says remove old wax first so the ions can fuse to clear coat. After all the work applying wax , at least 4 times since car purchase, no way I'm going to remove all the coats of wax. So, I decided to do the hood and side panels as test panels. Nice shine so far. Now, after 6 months car out in Florida weather I decided to apply the best Mcguires spray wax on the hood. This spray ended up like rain drops, would not penetrate the Factor 4 wax. I removed the spray wax. Original application still shinny. Go figure. They advertise protection for 3 years. So far I'm impressed.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will be interested in your experience on this, as I previously followed your recommendation for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax but was looking for something new after using up the bottle. I'm particularly interested in your comparison between the two products in terms of ease of application and durability/results. The Turtle Wax ICE line refers to resin/polymer technology rather than Meguiar's pitch for hybrid/ceramic/sealant.

The liquid version of TW ICE lasted 11 months in this video review shared by @safedad ... which is surprising result for a low-cost wax. And a separate review found TW's spray application more durable than TW's liquid application (though tested/compared on different formulations). Hopefully these two factors combined mean that the Seal & Shine are even more effective than the products shown.

The 'pollen-magnet' nature for Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is showing up in reviews other than mine, confirming that my experience with it wasn't unique. The pollen rinses off easily, but there's definitely something 'sticky' about the HCW finish that attracts dust MUCH faster than without.

Reviews for the TW ICE S&S launch are currently trending on youtube (same as when Meguiar's HCW when it launched); but youtube is so flooded with 'influensters' and it'd be nice to get your "real" perspective instead!
It's currently back-ordered on Amazon but I'm getting a delivery date of Friday. So I should be able to try it out during this weekend and post my first impression on it.:smile:

It has UV protection, last about 6 months(More like 3 months probably for me with frequent car washing), and is turtle wax's newest formula for 2019. If this stuff works, I don't mind applying it every 3 months, at half the price of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax with a tougher resistance to chemicals/bird poop.

Insightfully-Good article. In Feb. issue of a leading car magazine Factor 4 by Rustoleum had a full page advertisement on their wax. I was impressed. I bought the kit . Kinda expensive. Fine print says remove old wax first so the ions can fuse to clear coat. After all the work applying wax , at least 4 times since car purchase, no way I'm going to remove all the coats of wax. So, I decided to do the hood and side panels as test panels. Nice shine so far. Now, after 6 months car out in Florida weather I decided to apply the best Mcguires spray wax on the hood. This spray ended up like rain drops, would not penetrate the Factor 4 wax. I removed the spray wax. Original application still shinny. Go figure. They advertise protection for 3 years. So far I'm impressed.

I looked into factor 4 but didn't buy it cause I can't wash my car with the provided soap due to no garage. Also the warning about no automatic car wash soap and not applying on plastic trim makes this product not as casual detailer friendly for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
It has UV protection, last about 6 months(More like 3 months probably for me with frequent car washing), and is turtle wax's newest formula for 2019. If this stuff works, I don't mind applying it every 3 months, at half the price of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax with a tougher resistance to chemicals/bird poop.
Agree! I want something that returns high result at reasonable effort. Spray waxes are new to me, as opposed to the paste/haze/buff approach. I used to think that effort in was proportional to result out. But if the TW ICE S&S is easy to apply and more effective than the Meguiar's HCW, it'll be a no-brainer. Appreciate you sharing your learnings.

To be fair though, the bottle size is different between the two products and translates to 'only' a 25% price savings. (I know/feel this ounce difference coz I'm counting down the ounces of use left in the Meguiar's HCW, LOL!)

Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine = 6.99 for 16 oz = $0.44/oz
Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax = 14.99 for 26 oz $0.58/oz​

I'm getting 6-8 uses from the 26 oz Meguiar's bottle (3-4 oz per application). So it will be interesting to see whether you need more/less/same of the Turtle Wax product per application AND how long it lasts (really 6 mo?), as those factors will also affect the long-term price per use. In the end though, I'm not mad at the price point on either one; both are pretty reasonable/affordable.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

This youtuber did a great job reviewing both the TW Seal/Shine & HCW. Probably more in-depth than most I have seen so far. I'm going to give the dry application a try on half the hood with the HCW after watching his video when I apply the TW Seal/Shine. It seems like both TW & HCW are good for the price being asked for compared to the more expensive products shown.

Nova Jet $40
Nova Lustre $60
Beadmaker $13

I didn't realize the difference in size until you mentioned it. :eek: I think dry application with both can extend the bottle and it seems the best method for both.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I finally got the chance to apply the turtle wax ice seal N shine. Had to wait for the heat wave to go away and make sure no rain storms in the upcoming forecast. I did it around sunset when the temperature was the coolest to avoid the sealant from streaking/drying immediately. I did a quick clay bar detail of the hood, roof, and trunk. Didn't do the doors to see how well it holds up without using a clay bar as recommended on the bottle. I also did a dry application of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax on half of the hood just to test out the theory in the above youtube video.

The Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax smells better than the Turtle Wax sealant(It actually kind of stinks). The turtle wax comes out in a clear liquid with a water like consistency while the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax is blue and thicker. The Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax was easier to apply(less friction as you wipe) and I can visually see where I applied due to it being blue. I noticed more friction when wiping the Turtle Wax on the paint(It could be due to not using a damp microfiber towel as instructed on the bottle which I didn't realize until now) . The friction goes away after drying with another microfiber towel.

The most impressive thing I noticed after applying the Turtle Wax was the slickness of the paint. I had my Turtle Wax bottle on the roof and it would start sliding by itself. It actually fell off as I was working on another section of the roof. I decide to test this on the hood where I applied half Meguiars and half Turtle Wax. The bottle slid easier on the turtle wax side while the Meguiars side required me to shove the bottle more.

The bottle is black so I can't tell exactly how much I used but guessing by the weight I think I only used 1/3 of it. I also applied it on all of the exterior glass, the wheels, and headlights/tailights (The bottle says it can be use on wheels, exterior glass, and plastics). I'm going to double check my work tomorrow for streaks and left over residue. It was getting dark by the time I finished and was relying on street lights to see. From what I can tell no streaks from the Turtle Wax but I do see leftover residue from the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax(Keep in mind that I'm totally ignoring Meguiar's instructions by doing a dry application). I want to mention a warning on the bottle says to "keep from freezing". I wonder if this means the product shouldn't be use during the winter or just not let the content in the bottle to freeze before using.

Now to sit back and see how it does against repelling dust/pollen/rain/bird poop vs the dry Meguiars application. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
2 week update

• Both the dry application of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax and Turtle Wax are holding up. Can't really tell the difference between the water beads on the hood.
  • Turtle Wax water beading on glass definitely does better than Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax(not sure about dry application but wet application didn't last long for me).
  • Dust level seems to be about the same or slightly less than Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax.
  • I had bird poop on roof, rear door, and glass twice. It baked in the sun until I could bring it to the car wash the next day both times. Cleaned right off after the first run through the tunnel wash.
  • One thing I keep noticing about the Turtle Wax is the slickness of the paint compared to the Meguiar's Ceramic Wax. My roof is so slick now that I have to remember not to put a water bottle/beverage up there since it will slide right off.
Attached some pictures showing water beads on the hood after 2 weeks with 8 or so tunnel washes. The closest spot to the camera is the Turtle Wax while the other end is the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax dry application(1st pic).
Turtle Wax (2nd pic)
Meguiars (3rd pic)

https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/282-2019-honda-insight-complaints-issues-problems/2590-water-drips-top-drivers-door-3.html#post21324 (Additional water beading pics with Turtle Wax)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
The Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine is 'infused with carnauba' which contributes to the slickness (and possible streakiness in application?). Which of the two products do you think you'll use ongoing?

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Turtle Wax ICE Seal & Shine is 'infused with carnauba' which contributes to the slickness (and possible streakiness in application?). Which of the two products do you think you'll use ongoing?
No streaks during application. I took precautions to do it around sunset with temperatures around the low 70s and didn't apply too much in one spot.

Still haven't decided on which of the two products...

• Waiting on how long this application will last along with the Meguiars dry application.
  • Not sure if the Turtle Wax works in the winter due to the bottle warning to keep from freezing.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
3 month update before I clay and wax the car tomorrow. Objects don't slide off the roof anymore so slickness is gone. I did half Meguiar's HCW and half TW Seal N Shine on the hood. When I spray the hood with a pressure washer I noticed water mostly sheets with some beading. It hasn't rain in awhile until today and to my surprise the whole hood beaded like when I first applied the sealants. So I guess it still works after 3 months?

Pictures taken after rain storm today

Rear Trunk Lid (TW Seal N Shine)

Roof near Shark Fin antenna (TW Seal N Shine)

1/2 Hood (Meguiar's HCW)

1/2 Hood (TW Seal N Shine)

I really can't tell the difference between the 2 products on the hood. Meguiar's HCW is definitely more durable if you don't follow the directions and do a dry application instead. When I followed the directions it seems to last around 1.5 months before the beading went away. So far it still beads when it rains 3 months in. Going forward I will stick with TW Seal N Shine mainly because it's cheaper and is intended to be applied while dry. Plus the slickness and the heat resistance against a mini blow torch(Seal N Shine contains Teflon). https://youtu.be/L3T8VRmu0HE?t=434

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
I really can't tell the difference between the 2 products on the hood. Meguiar's HCW is definitely more durable if you don't follow the directions and do a dry application instead. When I followed the directions it seems to last around 1.5 months before the beading went away. So far it still beads when it rains 3 months in. Going forward I will stick with TW Seal N Shine mainly because it's cheaper and is intended to be applied while dry. Plus the slickness and the heat resistance against a mini blow torch(Seal N Shine contains Teflon).
Assuming the pictures were taken from similar distance to hood, does the 'size' of the bead created by Meguiar's HCW (larger) versus Turtle Wax S&S (smaller) mean anything in terms of effectiveness?

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Assuming the pictures were taken from similar distance to hood, does the 'size' of the bead created by Meguiar's HCW (larger) versus Turtle Wax S&S (smaller) mean anything in terms of effectiveness?
From what I understand the smaller and tighter the beads are the more effective it is.

Edit: I'm actually not sure because the beads usually get bigger if it touches another water bead. Once it gets big enough it will move and slide off the car.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Edit: I'm actually not sure because the beads usually get bigger if it touches another water bead. Once it gets big enough it will move and slide off the car.
With the Meguiar's HCW, I get this 'weird' phenomenon where the beads group themselves into a GIANT water bubble (4-6" across). It stays in place as a weird dancing bubble while driving, then rolls off once I stop. It's kinda distracting while driving coz it's so odd looking. I'd prefer for water to sheet off, rather than accumulating as drops.

I know the size of the water drop relates to 'surface tension' of the fluid, but haven't thought through yet how that relates to quality of the wax or properties. Not sure if the following is entirely correct: "the more water molecules bond with each other, the taller/larger and more rounded; when the wax layer diminishes, water beads become flatter and broader."

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the Meguiar's HCW, I get this 'weird' phenomenon where the beads group themselves into a GIANT water bubble (4-6" across). It stays in place as a weird dancing bubble while driving, then rolls off once I stop. It's kinda distracting while driving coz it's so odd looking. I'd prefer for water to sheet off, rather than accumulating as drops.

I know the size of the water drop relates to 'surface tension' of the fluid, but haven't thought through yet how that relates to quality of the wax or properties. Not sure if the following is entirely correct: "the more water molecules bond with each other, the taller/larger and more rounded; when the wax layer diminishes, water beads become flatter and broader."
Yeah, I know what you're referring to with the big blobs of water just swishing on the hood while the wind is blowing some of that back onto the windshield.:smile_big: Most of the popular sealants bead instead of sheet because it's easier to tell for your average buyer something is working when they see water beads. Even though the Meguiar's employee in that youtube video have said even if the water beading is gone it doesn't mean the protective properties aren't still there.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did my 6 month detailing to prep the Insight for Winter, today. Took the whole day but the results were worth it. :wink:

Meguiar's Clay Bar kit
Meguiar's 3 in 1 cleaner wax
Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine
Eagle One Wheel Cleaner

For the first time, I clay bar all the glass including the windshield with the glass cleaner. Then applied the Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine with a foam applicator pad instead of a microfiber towel. Never felt glass so smooth before. :surprise:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did my 6 month detailing to prep the Insight for Winter, today. Took the whole day but the results were worth it. :wink:

Meguiar's Clay Bar kit
Meguiar's 3 in 1 cleaner wax
Meguiar's Glass Cleaner
Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine
Eagle One Wheel Cleaner

For the first time, I clay bar all the glass including the windshield with the glass cleaner. Then applied the Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine with a foam applicator pad instead of a microfiber towel. Never felt glass so smooth before. :surprise:
Did you claybar the whole car?? Did mine a month ago, amazing how a new car can have so many contaminants in/on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Did you claybar the whole car?? Did mine a month ago, amazing how a new car can have so many contaminants in/on it.
Yep, I clay bar the whole car before applying the cleaner wax and then TB ICE sealant. What kind of clay bar did you use? The Meguiar's Clay Bar is decent but I think I need a medium grade clay bar to remove rail dust. Or I could go the lazy method and buy an iron remover.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep, I clay bar the whole car before applying the cleaner wax and then TB ICE sealant. What kind of clay bar did you use? The Meguiar's Clay Bar is decent but I think I need a medium grade clay bar to remove rail dust. Or I could go the lazy method and buy an iron remover.
I used this....
https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-07240-California-Gold-System/dp/B0002U2V1Y

The mothers clay seemed to do a good job...

In the past I have used Zaino clay bar with good results.
https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-18.html

The Zaino seemed to be a bit more "sticky" / "pliable" and with that seemed to pick up contaminates / The mothers over all did the same job... just a bit more time...

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts