Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turn-by-Turn Directions on DII Screen

I use Google Maps when I don't know my destination, and Apple Maps when I kind of know where I am, but need help finding the nearest freeway onramp. I turn off the maps once I find the onramp.

Since I have an iPhone, the steering wheel button maps to Siri, which will only bring me Apple Maps.

Definitely would be nice if either Apple or Google could send their map to the DII, but that's probably never going to happen.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Question about that last sentence. Does that mean with Apple CarPlay and Apple Maps that the maps are NOT displayed on the center console, that is the Color Audio Display?!

Wow! That's too bad and makes the Touring trim more attractive!

·
Super Moderator
4,084 Posts
Question about that last sentence. Does that mean with Apple CarPlay and Apple Maps that the maps are NOT displayed on the center console, that is the Color Audio Display?!

The DII (drivers information interface) is behind the steering wheel, and is a separate display from the center console.
  • When using the Honda navigation system on Touring trim, the DII AND/OR console can show navigation information.
  • When using CarPlay, maps ONLY show on the center console.
The wish-list request is for CarPlay navigation ALSO display on the DII, because it's a more convenient viewing area to check while driving.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts

The center tablet display will display apple maps/google maps/waze. It won't display it in the DII(The display next to the speedometer behind the steering wheel) like the default navigation app for the touring trim. Even for the touring trim apple maps/google maps/waze will only display in the center tablet display. DII option is only for the default touring navigation app.

Edit: Looks like @insightfully beat me to it while writing my response. :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
You all are fast!

Didn't know what DII stood for — I read it as R2-D2!

Whew! Good to know that the center console will show the maps. That's how I thought it worked.

A related question.

How much data gets used? We have cell phone service, but without any data plan. I take it that one has to use cellular data for the maps to work. I wonder how much data would be eaten up (downloaded), say, for a 30 minute drive, or on a 5-hour one, and, thus, what type of cell phone data plan — i.e., how much data per month — would be needed.

As you can tell, I'm still living in the 20th century as to all this stuff! 😎

·
Registered
20 Posts

The center tablet display will display apple maps/google maps/waze. It won't display it in the DII(The display next to the speedometer behind the steering wheel) like the default navigation app for the touring trim. Even for the touring trim apple maps/google maps/waze will only display in the center tablet display. DII option is only for the default touring navigation app.

Edit: Looks like @insightfully beat me to it while writing my response. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
The maps will be displayed in the center console if using Carplay or Android Auto and turn by turn signal in the DII ( on Waze and Android Auto ) I have an EX

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
You all are fast!

Whew! Good to know that the center console will show the maps. That's how I thought it worked.

A related question.

How much data gets used? We have cell phone service, but without any data plan. I take it that one has to use cellular data for the maps to work. I wonder how much data would be eaten up (downloaded), say, for a 30 minute drive, or on a 5-hour one, and, thus, what type of cell phone data plan — i.e., how much data per month — would be needed.

As you can tell, I'm still living in the 20th century as to all this stuff! ��
1GB for navigation data usage should be enough but it really depends on how much you drive. Safe bet would be 2-3GB. You would probably need to test it out for 1 month then downgrade/upgrade from there. You can also save data by downloading offline maps at home if you use google maps. Actually if you download the offline maps for the area you travel in, you won't need a data connection, and will just be without traffic info.

The maps will be displayed in the center console if using Carplay or Android Auto and turn by turn signal in the DII ( on Waze and Android Auto ) I have an EX
:surprise:Would be great if you can take a picture of the DII with Waze. If so I might buy a cheap android phone just for android auto.

Reactions: J. Bond

·
Registered
20 Posts
You all are fast!

Whew! Good to know that the center console will show the maps. That's how I thought it wo

A related question.

As you can tell, I'm still living in the 20th century as to all this stuff! ��
1GB for navigation data usage should be enough but it really depends on how much you drive. Safe bet would be 2-3GB. You would probably need to test it out for 1 month then downgrade/upgrade from there. You can also save data by downloading offline maps at home if you use google maps. Actually if you download the offline maps for the area you travel in, you won't need a data connection, and will just be without traffic info.

[img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/img]Would be great if you can take a picture of the DII with Waze. If so I might buy a cheap android phone just for android auto.
Turn by turn , distance and a little chime

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, if this is possible for Android Auto and Waze (on Android I assume and not iPhone) then it is not necessarily impossible for Apple Maps/Google Maps on CarPlay to display to the DII. For those with iPhones, please correct me if Waze (or Baidu) display to the DII. I've downloaded Waze...may try this weekend.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Andrew, great to have a sense of the data use. I see where there are one plans, even as low as 1gb, where the data rolls over month to month. Given that most of our driving is local, where we know where we're going, we'd on,h occasionally need to use CarPlay and Maps.

I'll have to download some area maps and directions and try out the non-cellular maps function, too!

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Ok, if this is possible for Android Auto and Waze (on Android I assume and not iPhone) then it is not necessarily impossible for Apple Maps/Google Maps on CarPlay to display to the DII. For those with iPhones, please correct me if Waze (or Baidu) display to the DII. I've downloaded Waze...may try this weekend.
I decided to look into why the DII doesn't work with Carplay. Didn't have any luck but I did find out the Civic/Accord offers turn by turn in the DII/HUD(android auto only), too. I can only assume the reason is because the tablet OS is also built on Android.

Andrew, great to have a sense of the data use. I see where there are one plans, even as low as 1gb, where the data rolls over month to month. Given that most of our driving is local, where we know where we're going, we'd on,h occasionally need to use CarPlay and Maps.

I'll have to download some area maps and directions and try out the non-cellular maps function, too!
Most of my driving is local where I'm familiar with the roads, too. I still find the alerts(road closure, traffic, police, pothole, etc.) helpful so I have Waze on anyways to redirect me if needed. Sometimes I preplan my trip with Waze and have it notify me when it's the best time to leave based on the current traffic condition.

Reactions: elvin

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Goodness gracious, man. If Waze on Android phones can access the DII, then Google Maps should be able to as well. Waze is owned by Google. Has anyone tried it?

If there were a native Google Maps for the Color Audio Display, I'd be thrilled.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Goodness gracious, man. If Waze on Android phones can access the DII, then Google Maps should be able to as well. Waze is owned by Google. Has anyone tried it?

If there were a native Google Maps for the Color Audio Display, I'd be thrilled.
It works with Google Maps on android auto for the DII/HUD on Civic/Accord. I don't have android auto so can't test it on the Insight but I believe it works. Maybe @fernandocolon can give google maps a try?

Native Google Maps is possible with the Civic/Accord(except for the 10th gen Accord) with a hack of the tablet OS. I heard it kind of lags though since the CPU on the tablet isn't that powerful.

Reactions: mgldan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Installed Waze - so Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze are relatively equivalent in time of arrival based on traffic. Apple Maps gets a plus with voice command direct from Siri (but trade off is that it understands less than Google Maps for voice input).

Thanks @andrew28 for logical explanation for why no iPhone DII app support.

·
Super Moderator
2,694 Posts
Decided to go through the vehicle settings and found some interesting stuff today.

• Was able to unlock the NAV/w compass for the DII on my EX trim. It also permanently shows navigation instructions on the DII now instead of just when a turn is coming up when using Android Auto. (1st image shows "current route" which I unlocked today) (2nd image shows when a "turn is coming up" which is what I usually see before unlocking the Nav app on the DII)
  • When I'm not using Waze or Google Maps or when I reach my destination it will show the compass like the Touring trim.
  • Found hidden "app installer" app. (I think this app can be use to install the "Navigation" and "AT&T Hotspot" app if we have the apps on a usb from the Touring trim.)
  • Found a menu for creating a hotspot within the wifi network mode setting. (Makes me curious if the EX trim has the sim card built in but just software locked due to no AT&T hotspot app like the Touring trim)
  • Didn't know road departure mitigation allows the option for warning only without the steering wheel feedback.
  • Found option to increase touch screen sensitivity. (I find that sometimes while driving and using the touchscreen it wasn't sensitive enough so nice to have the option to increase it)
  • The option to adjust turn signal, door opening warning, and system warning sound level.
I bet there are more hidden stuff the EX/Insight can do if someone manages to root/jailbreak Honda's security on the new entertainment software.:nerd:

Edit:
Instructions for enabling Nav/w compass on the DII for EX trim

• On the Display Audio Tablet, select "settings", select "system", and select "Config. of Instrument Panel".
  • Scroll to the bottom of the list to find the Navigation app.
  • Select the empty box to enable it.
  • Hit the home button on your steering wheel. The Navigation app will now show up on the DII(digital screen next to the speedometer).

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Interested in the steps to unlock nav, please write us a "how to".... Pretty please.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts