Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says... I'm headed down to Georgia from DC and I'm wondering if there's any mods worth trying for my trip... I'll probably run around 41-43psi on the tires but I was thinking of doing something to the front end to smooth out the shape...particularly where the black faux grille is on the front....just covering that up temporarily to see if aerodynamics increase... I've seen some front lip spoilers on the Model 3 that's increasing range substantially...but not sure how i'd be able to moc up something quick to test that out...

Let me know your thoughts... I'm averaging around 47mpg right now with my touring 2020 insight. Hoping with the 100% highway trip down and back I could get around 55mpg but who knows....

Option 1: Front Aero Spoiler
Option 2: Any type of additional underbody skirts I could potentially moc up...
Option 3: Front end smoothing of the faux grille
Option 4: No mod....:(

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
379 Posts
Excellent idea! One thing about the mpg: speed on the highway controls it all. I have the touring too and there is a huge difference between 70 and 75mph. On my very best day, I reached 50mpg @ ~70mph. If I wanted to reach 55mpg, I'd probably have to drive at 65mph or maybe less. What speed to you usually drive?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,643 Posts
Speed is going to be your MPG killer. A 5mph decrease would likely offset any of the proposed mods. Look at it this way. Take the time you would have spent modding the car and leave earlier and drive a little slower! In my EX, I can do 60-65 on the highway and still put up 55-60mpg numbers.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get a good wheel alignment before hand and see how long you can go in a straight line with all the safety features turned on without any intervention. Set your stop watch and check mileage :).

*Disclaimer: can be dangerous but if you have a clear open road , it can be much less dangerous.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How many people are going on the trip? The back seat is pretty easy to remove. Not sure how much it weighs, but less weight is less weight. You will get more road noise though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
When I had my gen 3 Prius, pumping 91 gas improved fuel efficiency, particularly Costco 91...

Maybe pump 87 for 650 miles and remainder with 91, roughly speaking.. so you can subtract other factors like higher psi, removing rear seats, etc..

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Maybe pump 87 for 650 miles and remainder with 91, roughly speaking.. so you can subtract other factors like higher psi, removing rear seats, etc..
Terrain (and speed) on each half of the trip could also differ, so would be a factor to account for in the comparison as well.

If @matttelz has a choice of route in the 1300 miles, 'rolling' terrain would be preferable for energy use/balance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The whole point of the mods efficiency related discussion is to reduce the overall cost of the trip. Granted it's only going to be like $60 in gas the entire trip, I'd rather spend trying out a mod for next to nothing with spare stuff lying around the house than adding another 5-10% of the fuel cost with an additive or higher octane rating...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cover every seam in the panels with duct tape for better aerodynamics. I assume you have a few rolls of this laying around...
View attachment 5870
... sorry. Not helping?
That'd be my first option...why didn't I think of the hello kitty duck tape... I wish the insight had flush door handles... Thatd be great but only about a 3% increase in mpg according to Tesla. Lol.

Well I'm really out of time so I think I'll just try out eco mode and drive a tad slower...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts