Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 CRV -hybrid is here....Plug Hybrid Toyota RAV4....what is the mpg? Better then our insight in the highway @70mph?
There was some discussion/comparison between the 2020 CR-V hybrid and 2020 RAV4 in the following thread - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/521-general-automotive/3362-honda-crv-hybrid-coming-us-early-2020-a.html

CR-V Hybrid = 43 city | TBD highway | 40+ combined (estimated)
RAV4 Hybrid = 41 city | 38 highway | 40 combined

Both are AWD drivetrains (and 20+% heavier vehicles), which makes the fuel efficiency lower than the Insight's FWD. Highway mpg for the CR-V hybrid is expected to be a little better than the RAV4 Hybrid, netting a slightly higher combined mpg.

EPA testing for all cars defines "highway" as 60 mph, so most manufacturers optimize their results for this speed. Fuel economy at >60 mph doesn't benefit a manufacturer in this reporting/results, so generally isn't a focus.

·
Registered
128 Posts
They need to start putting mpg going at least 70mph+ highway driving. My Insight TOURING at 75mph (for 45min on cruise control) gets 42mpg. Not very good.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They need to start putting mpg going at least 70mph+ highway driving. My Insight TOURING at 75mph (for 45min on cruise control) gets 42mpg. Not very good.
Also ironically (?) your state (NY) is listed with one of the lowest average posted top speed across the country.

Have you been able to test your fuel economy at a slower speed yet (70 mph or 65 mph) for same route, per suggestions offered in related thread?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also ironically (?) your state (NY) is listed with one of the lowest average posted top speed across the country.

Have you been able to test your fuel economy at a slower speed yet (70 mph or 65 mph) for same route, per suggestions offered in related thread?

EDIT** I misread that infographic. As far as I know, we only have 65mph highways in NY.

Depending on where you live in the state, the flow of traffic is 75-80mph on the Thruway, which for most of the state is a 2 lane toll road. Unfortunately it's difficult to be "slow" unless you find a tractor trailer to follow that isn't doing 75+

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EDIT** I misread that infographic. As far as I know, we only have 65mph highways in NY.
Depending on where you live in the state, the flow of traffic is 75-80mph on the Thruway, which for most of the state is a 2 lane toll road. Unfortunately it's difficult to be "slow" unless you find a tractor trailer to follow that isn't doing 75+
Yes, the prior infographic was average posted top speed, which averages just below 70 mph nationally.

The complementary summary of maximum speeds by state is below, and you're correct that the posted max in NY (and most other eastern states) is 65 mph on highways.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Yes, the prior infographic was average posted top speed, which averages just below 70 mph nationally.

The complementary summary of maximum speeds by state is below, and you're correct that the posted max in NY (and most other eastern states) is 65 mph on highways.

Also just an additional note, most of NY is 55mph max, excluding a few small sections of highway. (Mostly away from cities), and the Thruway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
New York State Thruway is a 65mph highway. Most go @75mph and above.

I can't drive 69-70mph on the NYS Thruway, unless you want to hold up traffic flow

·
Registered
836 Posts
New York State Thruway is a 65mph highway. Most go @75mph and above.

I can't drive 69-70mph on the NYS Thruway, unless you want to hold up traffic flow
The flow of traffic on the Thruway is insane, if you aren't going 75-79, people are trying to force you off of the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts

The infographic is interesting; it suggests how urbanized a state is (states where the number is almost no different from the overall state limit presumably have very little urban interstate), but it also tells me there are some inaccuracies; Wisconsin for example surely has lower than 70mph for an average because 70mph is not maintained throughout the Milwaukee area. The 58mph average speed limit in New York is a long way from the state's overall limit and suggests to me that there's very little 65 other than the Thruway, correct?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there a common lower speed limit on US Highways? You wouldn't want to be driving at 30 MPH if the posted speed limit was 75, but would you be earning a ticket of you were driving at 70MPH or 65MPH?

As a visiting Canadian driver I stick with the posted speed limit so as not to meet any keen eyed traffic officers professionally. They are very good at spotting out of state license plates A.K.A cash cows. I also have a very strong reluctance to tempt the laws of physics at extremely high speeds; there is something about that little patch of rubber on the road desperately trying to hang on in a braking incident especially when there is water under the wheel and a tailgating transport truck two feet from my rear bumper adding to the excitement. In my neck of the woods 60MPH is the posted speed limit and I get really nervous when hitting 65 or 70MPH, something that I have done in US rental cars just to keep up with traffic. I imagine Sir Isaac newton spinning in his grave when I am moving faster than 60.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a common lower speed limit on US Highways? You wouldn't want to be driving at 30 MPH if the posted speed limit was 75, but would you be earning a ticket of you were driving at 70MPH or 65MPH?
Each US state sets their own speed laws, but this wiki suggests the minimum US highway speed ranges from 30-50 mph. Some states don't specify a minimum, but instead provide a safety/flow-of-traffic guideline.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts

As a visiting Canadian driver I stick with the posted speed limit so as not to meet any keen eyed traffic officers professionally. They are very good at spotting out of state license plates A.K.A cash cows. I also have a very strong reluctance to tempt the laws of physics at extremely high speeds; there is something about that little patch of rubber on the road desperately trying to hang on in a braking incident especially when there is water under the wheel and a tailgating transport truck two feet from my rear bumper adding to the excitement. In my neck of the woods 60MPH is the posted speed limit and I get really nervous when hitting 65 or 70MPH, something that I have done in US rental cars just to keep up with traffic. I imagine Sir Isaac newton spinning in his grave when I am moving faster than 60.
I usually go 5mph above the speed limit because that's what the other cars are moving at. If you go slower than the speed limit/speed of traffic chances of a rear end chain reaction are higher. Some cops do give out tickets for impeding traffic. I drive with Waze on to alert me of speed traps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts