Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can jump start an Insight, but you should not use it to jump-start another car. Electronic damage can occur.
Hey Hasarad! Thanks for all of your contributions to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and have seen you on nearly every thread. I actually did provide a jump-start to a guy as I was picking up my dry cleaning. I followed the same procedures we are supposed to follow when receiving a jump and he was able to get fired right up. I haven't had any issues since. Maybe I got lucky, but everything seemed to have turned out okay. Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
Hey Hasarad! Thanks for all of your contributions to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and have seen you on nearly every thread. I actually did provide a jump-start to a guy as I was picking up my dry cleaning. I followed the same procedures we are supposed to follow when receiving a jump and he was able to get fired right up. I haven't had any issues since. Maybe I got lucky, but everything seemed to have turned out okay. Hope this helps!
Happy things worked out sell. It is explicitly stated in the owner's manual not to be a donor for jump-starting. I would surmise that any damages that could occur by doing so would not be covered under warranty. The insight'
s battery is not a standard 12v - it's a 12v AGM battery. I'm not sure exactly what damage could occur, but perusing the interwebs turned up a few cases of blown fuses.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The 12v battery in the Insight isn’t sized to start a car. Not even the Insight. I don’t know what damage it would cause, but I wouldn’t do it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
A traditional non-hybrid car uses the 12V battery to power a starter motor to turn the engine. The Prius uses a much more powerful electric drive motor connected to a large, high voltage hybrid traction battery, so the 12V accessory battery only drives electronics and accessories. Thus the 12V accessory battery is not designed to handle the large current a starter motor draws, so it should not be used to jump start another car. The reason you can't use the traction battery to jump start another car is because it is much higher voltage.
^ The Prius can't be use to jump start another car either and I think the above explanation applies to the Insight, too.

@0:30 Honda mentions no jump starting another vehicle and battery charging.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Similar to other comments, I'd chalk up this success to luck (and wouldn't suggest pressing it further). My guess is you were very fortunate and had enough high-voltage battery charge to sustain the jump. The high-voltage battery recharges the Insight's 12V AGM battery. I believe Honda advises not having the Insight jump other cars because the hybrid nature of HV battery level/cycling from normal operation varies at any given start/stop point (i.e. may not have enough juice to jump, draining HV battery state of charge). If the HV battery drains too much, the car's power system will not start at all.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
376 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts
A friend wants me to jump her car but according to this we can't: https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/.../Honda/Honda-Insight-HEV-2019--ERG.ashx?la=en
(it also says it in the user manual)

Is that because the AGM battery has slower discharge/ charge rates? Would it work anyways? What would be the damage? I have a pocket jumper anyways but I'm just curious.
We know it works because 1 or 2 members here said they did it without realizing they shouldn't. As to why we shouldn't I have no idea but Honda makes it clear we should not use our Insight to jump start another vehicle.

https://youtu.be/zBiJFlWW0Zw?t=30

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
A friend wants me to jump her car but according to this we can't: https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/.../Honda/Honda-Insight-HEV-2019--ERG.ashx?la=en
(it also says it in the user manual)

Is that because the AGM battery has slower discharge/ charge rates? Would it work anyways? What would be the damage? I have a pocket jumper anyways but I'm just curious.
Some thoughts on jump starting other cars using the Insight are above and/or as follows:

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,051 Posts

Found out why Honda doesn't want us to jump start another vehicle with the Insight. Chance of blowing the main fuse is the reason.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was helping someone jump start their car with my FOB in my pocket. With the driver's door open as I walked to help hook up the cables the engine shut off and the car went to accessory mode. Not immediately, maybe after a minute or two. I did get the "remote not detected" message, but had to sit down, press the pedal and push the start button again. That was my experience with this.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was helping someone jump start their car with my FOB in my pocket. With the driver's door open as I walked to help hook up the cables the engine shut off and the car went to accessory mode. Not immediately, maybe after a minute or two. I did get the "remote not detected" message, but had to sit down, press the pedal and push the start button again. That was my experience with this.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Please tell me you weren't jumping their car with your Insight..

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,622 Posts
The Insight's 12v battery is not designed to allow for being a donor to jump start another car.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
The Insight's 12v battery is not designed to allow for being a donor to jump start another car.
I think being able to jump start from the Insight is hit-or-miss, depending on HV battery level (and its ability to recharge the 12V battery)... and now also depending on whether you're affected by the PCU/DC-Converter Software recall (which also affects 12V battery charging). If both are "healthy" (high HV battery and no PCU/Converter issues), it's more likely that jump start will be successful... and several people have proven that true But with HV battery level not being a consistent state, I think Honda errs on the cautious side, advising not to jump start other cars.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Honda prohibits another vehicle from being powered by the Insight battery. I recommend doing this because the battery is connected to the PCU via a 175A fuse. The current that the Insught battery is capable of delivering is almost 300 amperes. The 175 A fuse may blow.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You run the risk of damaging electrical components in your car when you do that, especially a car like the Insight that has so many electronic components. When I had my 2011 VW Jetta I gave someone a jump and several warning indicators lit up on the dash the last few years I had the car. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the systems that lit up on the dash and another mechanic told me that I might have fried some components or wiring while giving someone a jump. Someone asked me 2 weeks ago for a jump I just told them it's a hybrid it doesn't have any terminals to give a jump by design. I'm going to buy a portable charger for my own personal use just in case. I don't mind helping people but messing up my car and voiding the warranty is definitely out of the question.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts