Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was windy tonight driving on the highway so I turned on just LKAS(Lane Keep Assist System) with no ACC(Traveling just a few miles so didn't need it) to deal with crosswind. LKAS does a great job stabilizing the car without needing me to adjust my steering. :smile:

·
Registered
836 Posts
It was windy tonight driving on the highway so I turned on just LKAS(Lane Keep Assist System) with no ACC(Traveling just a few miles so didn't need it) to deal with crosswind. LKAS does a great job stabilizing the car without needing me to adjust my steering. :smile:
Did you notice a decline in fuel economy with this crazy wind too? Just curious. This was my first 60+ mpg tank, but the rain/wind Thursday and still crazy winds yesterday with the 30 degree drop in weather and I'm back down to ~55mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you notice a decline in fuel economy with this crazy wind too? Just curious. This was my first 60+ mpg tank, but the rain/wind Thursday and still crazy winds yesterday with the 30 degree drop in weather and I'm back down to ~55mpg.
It was a 10 mile drive to and back home with temps in the 40s. On my way there I got 48mpg with some heater usage at the beginning. Heading back home I got 56mpg with a warm engine and no heater usage. I'm noticing more 45-49mpg trips with cold engine start due to low temps(wind/rain, too?). So it dragged my average mpg down to 53 with my last tank where as before I was getting 58mpg.

Did a 13 mile drive with a warm engine back home earlier today and got 67.3 mpg with temps at 51F.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It was a 10 mile drive to and back home with temps in the 40s. On my way there I got 48mpg with some heater usage at the beginning. Heading back home I got 56mpg with a warm engine and no heater usage. I'm noticing more 45-49mpg trips with cold engine start due to low temps(wind/rain, too?). So it dragged my average mpg down to 53 with my last tank where as before I was getting 58mpg.

Did a 13 mile drive with a warm engine back home earlier today and got 67.3 mpg with temps at 51F.
It's crazy because the car doesn't feel as affected by the wind as my truck would have (being pushed around the road), but then again, I only checked my gas mileage by the tank with the truck, whereas I'm always watching it in the Insight.

I'm personally a glutton for punishment, I haven't used the heat except for defrosting purposes yet this year. (40*F this morning), but it's interesting to watch how the charge level definitely acts different, especially early in a cold morning. It charges very slow, but after a few EV cycles, you can tell the battery is warming up, because it will start charging normally with enough driving.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Back on topic, I never even considered using LKAS for this purpose, but I'm excited that it worked well, another tool in the bag for those crazy windy days.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm personally a glutton for punishment, I haven't used the heat except for defrosting purposes yet this year. (40*F this morning), but it's interesting to watch how the charge level definitely acts different, especially early in a cold morning. It charges very slow, but after a few EV cycles, you can tell the battery is warming up, because it will start charging normally with enough driving.
I've been using the heat for defrosting only, too. I park my car with the front facing the sun as it rises in the morning now so when I get in it's warm. Didn't work as much earlier this week due to the rain/clouds. I also need to use the brake pedal more when the battery is cold. Regen paddles at max level with 3 chevrons doesn't slow me down enough until battery is running at optimal temp.

Back on topic, I never even considered using LKAS for this purpose, but I'm excited that it worked well, another tool in the bag for those crazy windy days.
I'm surprised that I'm still discovering new things and tools available to me with the Insight after 11 months of ownership. :grin:

·
Registered
143 Posts
can confirm that this is one of the few situations where LKAS is useful (appreciated). it takes a lot of effort out of keeping the car between the lines or reducing your perceived mid-day drunkedness

1 - 7 of 7 Posts