Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got my new pearl white 2019 LX yesterday (at an awesome price I might add).

I used to have another car that I vinyl wrapped it in 3m satin pearl white.

The installer I worked with did a good job and I’m thinking about going back to him.

If you aren’t satisfied with the color (and finish) of the any OEM Honda Insight offering, try vinyl wrapping it. Just be careful on picking a good installer. I learned my lesson after my first attempt.

I was thinking of vinyl wrapping my Insight in Avery Satin Pearl white this time or maybe go with this ? A little blue effect..i like the subtleness and it’s not too flashy.

https://sg.carousell.com/p/mercedes-a200-full-wrap-satin-pearl-white-with-blue-effect-214166295/

What do you think?

The good thing is my car is already white so I’m probably not going to wrap the door jambs..

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
The vinyl wrap gives a pretty cool effect. It'd emphasize the pearlescent features of the White Orchid Pearl (WOP) exterior paint color, and looks like it catches light without having to be at a certain angle to view.

Does the wrap also help prevent/avoid paint chipping? Many of us are displeased with the chip-prone nature of the low-VOC paint finish - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/2470-fit-finish-2.html

The WOP color was discontinued after the 2019 model year, and replaced by a (non-pearlescent) Platinum White for 2020+. The wrap would give Platinum White owners a nice finish, if they prefer the pearlescent glow.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually trying to reply to the Exterior thread in this same sub-forum but it created a new thread (my mistake)..still getting used to this forum..

Yes the wrap protects the paint from chipping.. given that most people on this forum will have a low mileage Insight , the paint is still good.. I wouldn’t recommend wrapping a old car though..

One of the reasons why I want to do it so early..I don’t plan on selling car but if I do, I can just peel off the wrap myself (maybe with use of a heat gun) and the paint will most likely be like new (assuming the new owner wants the wrap off).

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
Exterior wrap seemed a different-enough topic that I moved it into a new thread for discussion and easy future reference. Please post pictures if/when you get your exterior wrap completed! It looks like it'll really pop on white.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough..

While I was at dealer yesterday buying car, of course they were selling me a lot of add-ons but the one that really caught my attention was this Simoniz GlassCoat protection.

It’s basically an exterior and interior treatment. It was originally like 1k but they asked if I had a Costco membership and indeed I did (with your membership card you get a huge discount). I went ahead and got the Simoniz for around $400.

I plan to do a little Uber/Lyft and I thought the interior treatment would come in handy ( if you can’t remove a stain and you take it to dealership and they can’t remove it, they replace the whole seat for free).

I was planning on doing an entire front end clear bra if I didn’t get the vinyl wrap but with this Simoniz, I might not have to.. but for added protection , I could always clear bra the entire front.

·
Super Moderator
2,629 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,927 Posts
While I was at dealer yesterday buying car, of course they were selling me a lot of add-ons but the one that really caught my attention was this Simoniz GlassCoat protection.

It’s basically an exterior and interior treatment. It was originally like 1k but they asked if I had a Costco membership and indeed I did (with your membership card you get a huge discount). I went ahead and got the Simoniz for around $400.

I plan to do a little Uber/Lyft and I thought the interior treatment would come in handy ( if you can’t remove a stain and you take it to dealership and they can’t remove it, they replace the whole seat for free).

I was planning on doing an entire front end clear bra if I didn’t get the vinyl wrap but with this Simoniz, I might not have to.. but for added protection , I could always clear bra the entire front.
Hopefully your dealer is experienced with these applications, or sub-contracts to body shop for these services. The glass coating requires a super-clean surface, and there's been at least one report of dirt trapped below the coating, which can't be corrected without significant re-work - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/3246-glasscoat.html

The interior treatment may be worthwhile for the way you're planning to use your car. Some of us had concerns about chemicals (Scotchgard thread) and others of us opted for seat covers. The seat specs for the Civic and Insight are identical (per my measurements), so seat covers for the Civic fit well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m just going to leave it all to them. You would assume that a dealer like this (they are HUGE and have a couple locations) would know what they are doing if they assume liability. It’s not like I found some random person off craigslist to do this.

One of the persons I worked with was telling me my car will be detailed in and out before they apply it. I wish I could’ve done it that Friday I bought it but it was late already so I’m headed there Monday. But I’m going to make sure all my questions are answered come Monday before I let them do it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm curious if the vinyl white covering would yellow over time as some
bra finishes do. . . any experience with this?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm curious if the vinyl white covering would yellow over time as some
bra finishes do. . . any experience with this?

I had 3m Satin Pearl White for about 1 1/2 years on a garaged car.. drove the car alot but never experienced yellowing..

although the first wrap i got for the car, the pearl was really yellowish and i complained to 3m about it as i wanted more of a whitish pearl, and ultimately got a free roll of vinyl to re-wrap my car ( and it looked more pearly white)..

ive heard from installers that Avery makes the best Satin Pearl White for wrapping though..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I love my white insight. I'd love to do a chrome delete but I haven't got around to it yet... Thats my next mod for the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts