Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a VW Polo today (gas, 5sp). Averaged 43mpg at 82mph constant with AC, without even trying... I know it's smaller and lighter but... It pissed me off! City was more like 27mpg even with stop and go so that made me feel better. And yes EU gas has about 3pct more energy... Anyways, I still miss my Insight haha.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
LOL, that's the turbo setup of the VW engine design. Even the turbo-charged Civic is rated for 42 mpg highway. :)

Requires more maintenance than our naturally-aspirated Insight gas engine, due to wear and injection at higher pressure operation.

·
Super Moderator
1,238 Posts
If the Polo is direct injection, it's going to be a maintenance nightmare down the road.

As far as highway, I can get 45mpg while hauling at 75-80mph in my wife's '19 Civic sedan. I'd still take my Insight any day over the Civic since I rarely do highway driving.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used to drive a '67 VW bug where I learned the in's and out's of a 4 speed manual transmission. I used to get 27 mpg city 30 mpg highway. I once got 33 mpg, but I had to drive 1.5 miles down a mountain road with the engine off to get it. The points in the distributor needed frequent replacement, and the distributor shaft often worked its way lose, so I had to reset the timing periodically. Gen 3 Insight is certainly a technically superior product !! ...and more comfortable too.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
I used to drive a '67 VW bug where I learned the in's and out's of a 4 speed manual transmission. I used to get 27 mpg city 30 mpg highway. I once got 33 mpg, but I had to drive 1.5 miles down a mountain road with the engine off to get it. The points in the distributor needed frequent replacement, and the distributor shaft often worked its way lose, so I had to reset the timing periodically. Gen 3 Insight is certainly a technically superior product !! ...and more comfortable too.
LOL... I was expecting you to say "...I had to drive downhill both ways to get 33 mpg." :)

For all the system/maintenance trade-offs of having a naturally aspirated gas engine, one thing I'm concerned about is the number of start/stop cycles the gas engine goes thru by virtue of being a hybrid. There are tons of older Prii (and Insights) on the road, so likely okay (?). But it does make me cringe as I think about impact to long-term engine life when the gas engine cycles...

·
Registered
266 Posts
LOL... I was expecting you to say "...I had to drive downhill both ways to get 33 mpg." :)
LOL !!! :) :)

For all the system/maintenance trade-offs of having a naturally aspirated gas engine, one thing I'm concerned about is the number of start/stop cycles the gas engine goes thru by virtue of being a hybrid. There are tons of older Prii (and Insights) on the road, so likely okay (?). But it does make me cringe as I think about impact to long-term engine life when the gas engine cycles...
Back in the days of my '67 VW Honda had a reputation for great small engines and motor cycles. My experience with prior Insights supports continuation of that focus on quality, so I'm not concerned to much about long term engine life. But I think its a valid and an interesting question to ask. So to rephrase the question a little, what will frequent starting of the engine cause to wear out or break down?

Long ago I once asked a delivery truck driver why he left the engine running and never turned it off during his frequent stops. He told me that if he did, it would soon burn up the starter motor. That cost was greater then the cost of letting it run. According to the Honda Press Kit, the gen 3's two motor system includes one motor dedicated to starting the engine AND generating electricity. So if there is a problem, the first sign would be slowed or failure to recharge the HV battery. The fix could be, just simply replacing the generator / starter motor. Warranty on the powertrain extends to ? Here's the quote from the Press Kit:
"The powertrain consists of a highly efficient 1.5-liter Atkinson-cycle engine paired with two electric motors – a 96-kilowatt propulsion motor and a smaller generator/starter motor. Under most driving conditions, Insight operates as a series hybrid, with the electric propulsion (traction) motor providing motive power to the front axle with energy supplied by the batteries or the generator motor."

My recent test of the mpg effect of frequent EV button pushing tells me that I'm not causing engine start-up munch more often (say 10 -20%) than no EV button pushing.

A second thought is that when the starter motor activates, if it is too strong, it could jerk internal engine parts out of alignment. Over time this could lead the engine to run rough, develop a valve clatter, and lose power. An easy fix would be to tighten the valve connectors at the top of the engine ("torque the head" someone once said). My history with Honda suggests this kind of thing was probably addressed in the design of gen 3 powertrain component parts.

A third thought would be to look at maintenance records of old Prius's of similar design, and see what it is that broke down over time.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
The fix could be, just simply replacing the generator / starter motor. Warranty on the powertrain extends to ?
The standard Powertrain Limited Warranty is 5yr/60k.

The Hybrid Powertrain Warranty has components that falls within the emissions warranty, so coverage varies by state. Standard coverage (A states) is 3yr/36k, and is stretched to 15yr/150k in states with extended emissions warranty (B states). However A states also get battery and motor control module coverage up to 8yr/100k.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My hypothesis is that internal components of the "Motor Control Module" from the list above, are the components that receive the most wear from the gen 3's designed frequent engine start up process.

I'm thinking that what may wear out is not so much the software, but the components of the motor itself. It is my understanding that electric motors, in general, operate for very long periods without problems, when they are used within design limitations !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts