Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reset walk away lock feature

How do I reset the walk-away automatic lock feature? When I got the car in late June, the rep set turned that feature off at my request, but now I want it on.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
It's a great feature. The only drawback is that you get used to it. I can't tell you how many times I've walked away from my '06 Odyssey without locking it!

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
Was wondering if the "walk-away lock" drains the car's 12V battery or proximity fob battery more than the "manual fingertip locking" method. I've read articles like the one below that suggest battery drain from the vehicle sending out periodic signals to "look for" the proximity fob. I enjoy the walk-away feature, but would like to preserve my 12V and fob batteries as much as possible.

https://remoterecycle.org/blog/is-your-proximity-fob-draining-your-car-battery

·
Registered
26 Posts
The walk-away auto lock is great. But why is there not walk up auto-unlock too?

I've usually got a bag o my shoulder and dragging a 20 pound c roller case. Being ablr to just walk up and have the door unlock would be nicer than having to stop with my roller case and grab the front door and then get the back door opened.

Is there an auto unlock feature setting I just don't know about?

·
Registered
836 Posts

I've usually got a bag o my shoulder and dragging a 20 pound c roller case. Being ablr to just walk up and have the door unlock would be nicer than having to stop with my roller case and grab the front door and then get the back door opened.

I know that if you grab the passenger door handle it unlocks all, my significant other set it up, so I don't know if there is more settings off of the top of my head.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts

Don't believe the Insight has walk up auto-unlock. I wonder if you could unlock the door with the keyfob from far away and get to the door in time before it auto locks...

Edit: You can unlock the rear doors with the keyfob by hitting the unlock button "twice". You can also change the timer to either 30/60/90 seconds before the doors autolock again. The timer should work independently from the walk away autolock but I haven't test this out yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts

Walk-up auto-unlock isn't a feature (without grabbing the handle or unlocking via fob). I've been glad it wasn't one, because there are plenty of times I've been near the car or in my garage and it would be nuts to have the car unlock when I walk by without planning to enter.

There are different features you can select for door unlock, however. You can find them via the driver's scroll wheel or on the infotainment system under VEHICLE SETTINGS --> "Keyless Access Setup" or "Door Setup."

Under KEYLESS ACCESS SETUP you can choose the 'door unlock' mode to set whether you want just the driver's door OR all doors to unlock when the driver's door handle is grabbed.

Under DOOR SETUP you can choose 'auto door unlock' mode to have all doors unlock when the driver's door opens. And under 'key and remote unlock mode' you can choose whether a first-press of the fob unlocks just the driver's door or all doors.

Like you, I generally am carrying at least a bag or two when I approach my car, and I like to use the driver's side rear seat for storage. For safety reasons, I have my car set to only unlock the driver's door (default) when I grab the driver door handle. However even with this setting, a tip I use (buried in manual on p170) is that ALL DOORS UNLOCK if the passenger's door handle is grabbed.

My car is parked where I see the passenger side door handle first, so I'll just wrap my hand around it to unlock ALL the car doors, then walk around to the other doors I want to access. It might be better to just have all the doors unlock so I don't have to walk around, BUT when I don't have my arms full or am in an unfamiliar area approaching my car, I like knowing that only the driver's door will unlock.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Walk-up auto-unlock isn't a feature (without grabbing the handle or unlocking via fob). I've been glad it wasn't one, because there are plenty of times I've been near the car or in my garage and it would be nuts to have the car unlock when I walk by without planning to enter.

There are different features you can select for door unlock, however. You can find them via the driver's scroll wheel or on the infotainment system under VEHICLE SETTINGS --> "Keyless Access Setup" or "Door Setup."

Under KEYLESS ACCESS SETUP you can choose the 'door unlock' mode to set whether you want just the driver's door OR all doors to unlock when the driver's door handle is grabbed.

Under DOOR SETUP you can choose 'auto door unlock' mode to have all doors unlock when the driver's door opens. And under 'key and remote unlock mode' you can choose whether a first-press of the fob unlocks just the driver's door or all doors.

Like you, I generally am carrying at least a bag or two when I approach my car, and I like to use the driver's side rear seat for storage. For safety reasons, I have my car set to only unlock the driver's door (default) when I grab the driver door handle. However even with this setting, a tip I use (buried in manual on p170) is that ALL DOORS UNLOCK if the passenger's door handle is grabbed.

My car is parked where I see the passenger side door handle first, so I'll just wrap my hand around it to unlock ALL the car doors, then walk around to the other doors I want to access. It might be better to just have all the doors unlock so I don't have to walk around, BUT when I don't have my arms full or am in an unfamiliar area approaching my car, I like knowing that only the driver's door will unlock.
So that explains the lights always flashing when I wash the car, I missed that part when I read the owners manual.

·
Super Moderator
1,067 Posts
So that explains the lights always flashing when I wash the car, I missed that part when I read the owners manual.
I throw my key fob on the driver's seat when I wash mine. I'll need to open the doors to wipe the sills anyway, so it makes send to leave it unlocked for the duration of the wash.

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
The 'features' that cause the exterior lights to flash are the "Smart Entry Light Flash," the "Smart Entry Beep," and the "Keyless Lock Answer Back" which are set "ON" by default. The flashing lights can be turned off if desired, but it won't change how/whether the car physically unlocks while you're washing it.

Like hasarad, I leave my key fob inside the car when I'm washing it to avoid the lock / unlock / flashing symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
I throw my key fob on the driver's seat when I wash mine. I'll need to open the doors to wipe the sills anyway, so it makes send to leave it unlocked for the duration of the wash.
Something so obvious yet I didn't think of this earlier for those times I had to detail the interior of my Insight. :plain:

·
Registered
55 Posts
How often does your Insight fail to lock when you walk away? I have not figured out the reason. Seems that if I walk away while others are still getting out of the car, it fails to lock when the last door is closed. Example, we go some place. I get out of the driver's seat and exit the 8 foot radius of my door. Others are still getting out of the car. When the last door closes, no beep, no auto lock. I will walk back up to the car, open a rear door and close it again, then I get the beep. Doors lock when I walk away. I used to think it was causes by me opening the trunk and the passengers doors open before the auto lock, locks. It has happened enough time that I'm not sure what is going on.

Any of you notice it? See a pattern to when it happens?

·
Registered
836 Posts
How often does your Insight fail to lock when you walk away? I have not figured out the reason. Seems that if I walk away while others are still getting out of the car, it fails to lock when the last door is closed. Example, we go some place. I get out of the driver's seat and exit the 8 foot radius of my door. Others are still getting out of the car. When the last door closes, no beep, no auto lock. I will walk back up to the car, open a rear door and close it again, then I get the beep. Doors lock when I walk away. I used to think it was causes by me opening the trunk and the passengers doors open before the auto lock, locks. It has happened enough time that I'm not sure what is going on.

All doors have to be shut while you are still in proximity to the car. Then when you leave the threshold they will lock. The trunk should have no effect on the doors, as it seems to be completely separated from the doors as far as alarms/locking etc...

If you have already walked away, a door being open cancels "walk-away auto lock".

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts

Technically, the operating range is ~5 feet (vs 8 ft) for the walk-away auto lock/beep function, and there are two-phases to the locking process.
  • ACTIVATION: The process for the walk-away locks starts when the key fob is inside the 5 ft range AND all doors and hood are closed. (The trunk isn't part of this, as mentioned in post above.) --> BEEP
  • LOCKING: Leaving the 5 ft range AND staying outside of that range for 2+ seconds completes the locking process --> FLASH + BEEP + LOCK
The two-phases are relevant to your example. Activation needs to be triggered first (e.g. driver exits the car, closes driver door while other doors remain closed, and remains in range). After activation (first beep), the passenger doors can then be opened/closed. The auto-lock will delay itself until all the doors are closed (flash + beep + lock).

I encounter this process daily: I exit the driver door, hear a beep, then open the rear passenger door to grab my stuff. Once the rear door closes, there’s another beep (to remind me the system is activated), and when I walk out of range I get the flash/beep/lock. Sometimes when I want to avoid hearing a beep or activating the walk-away lock (mostly in the mornings - coz, annoying), I’ll leave at least one door open to keep the auto-lock from activating its first phase.

In your example, initial activation isn’t happening because you’ve left the range before the doors are closed, and the process never starts. If you can stay inside range until all the doors are closed, the process should work as expected. I liken this (kinda) to the way “old school” press-button key fobs work, where the driver can ONLY activate the locks once all doors are closed. Now, instead of pressing a button to lock the doors, you just need to physically walk out-of-range to activate the locks... but the person with the key fob is still who triggers the process.

Attached below is how it reads from the manual. (Interestingly, it mentions that only the fob used to activate the feature on the infotainment system can be used for the walk-away feature. I assumed it worked for both fobs, but apparently I'll need to repeat the set-up with the second fob in the car.)

Sorry for the windy post, but hope it helps in some way... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

In a sense, it is a walk-up unlock door. The moment you put your hand into the handle, the door unlocks. Do you mean a door that automatically opens for you as you walk up?

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
In a sense, it is a walk-up unlock door. The moment you put your hand into the handle, the door unlocks. Do you mean a door that automatically opens for you as you walk up?
He wants to walk up to the car and have the doors unlocked without having to put his hand under one of the front door handles. Mainly for convenience accessing the rear doors without having to put his hand on the front door saving him a step. Honda could have solved this by putting sensors on the rear door handles but they're too cheap... :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts

I swear that I have not been able to get all 4 doors to unlock when I grab the driver's door handle (as opposed to the front passenger's door handle, which does this by default).

·
Super Moderator
3,319 Posts
I swear that I have not been able to get all 4 doors to unlock when I grab the driver's door handle (as opposed to the front passenger's door handle, which does this by default).
The default setting for KEYLESS ACCESS SETUP --> DOOR UNLOCK MODE is "Driver's Door Only."

Per reply in post #4, you'll need to find/select different options if you don't like the default: Go to KEYLESS ACCESS SETUP to choose 'door unlock' mode as driver's door (default) OR all doors to unlock when the driver's door handle is grabbed.

To clarify, are you having issue with all doors unlocking after changing the setting for this? Or do you perhaps have yet to make this selection?

P.S. - If you haven't downloaded the manual yet, you can do so and find this information on p158...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts