Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
Ive seen and read the same from alot of articles. I guess it's just safe/old school me where a cars engine should be operating temperature to drive. Not to mention the engine sounds different when cold vs warm. Thats gotta mean something I think.

Obviously the car is built in such a way that you start it and drive. Just seems odd to me. Sort of like the new rules of an oil change. 5-10000 mile changes now vs 3000 like before. I guess my brain says let the car warm up and change the oil sooner than later. Only makes sense these things will add a few thousand miles to the engine??....
I'm old school, and with you on this. I'd prefer to have the gas engine warm up while not under load, rather than while driving under a more demanding situation. From cold start, my ICE usually runs (because I shut the car down with radio and climate control running, which triggers the gas engine in colder temperatures). I leave it idling for ~30 seconds in driveway while I wait for the garage door to close and while I check my mirrors / surroundings before moving. I get some warm-up benefit and an extra bar or two of high voltage battery.

It's not the most fuel efficient approach, but I like knowing that the gas engine had opportunity to run before I make more demanding acceleration requests from it. I recognize the 0W-20 low viscosity synthetic oil is designed for quick starts and on/off operation, but I prefer running the ICE for a bit at start-up.

Regarding oil change, keep in mind that the gas engine isn't constantly running for a hybrid. So even 5k miles driven might 'only' be 2.5k miles of actual gas engine run time...

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is a hybrid - the engine isn't always under the same load you may think of in a regular car.. Regardless of your speed (unless you are hammering it) the engine is running to charge the battery or send power to the traction motor. If your high voltage battery is pretty low, there is a load on your engine already even if it is cold and there is nothing you can do about it. I have noticed this when starting out in the morning - the engine is running at a pretty good clip while I am passing through the drive through to get my coffee. As soon as the engine warms up (and you aren't using your heater) it will shut down. I've actually been accelerating and had the engine sound like it's going to ramp up and then it just shuts down as I continue to accelerate. Pretty neat!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm old school, and with you on this. I'd prefer to have the gas engine warm up while not under load, rather than while driving under a more demanding situation. From cold start, my ICE usually runs (because I shut the car down with radio and climate control running, which triggers the gas engine in colder temperatures). I leave it idling for ~30 seconds in driveway while I wait for the garage door to close and while I check my mirrors / surroundings before moving. I get some warm-up benefit and an extra bar or two of high voltage battery.

It's not the most fuel efficient approach, but I like knowing that the gas engine had opportunity to run before I make more demanding acceleration requests from it. I recognize the 0W-20 low viscosity synthetic oil is designed for quick starts and on/off operation, but I prefer running the ICE for a bit at start-up.

Regarding oil change, keep in mind that the gas engine isn't constantly running for a hybrid. So even 5k miles driven might 'only' be 2.5k miles of actual gas engine run time...
What is the "ICE" function your referring to? Just wondering if its called something else here.

For me I turn the heater on and that klicks the engine on from cold start.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
What is the "ICE" function your referring to? Just wondering if its called something else here.

For me I turn the heater on and that klicks the engine on from cold start.
ICE is shorthand for "internal combustion engine" -- the traditional gas engine in the car. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have not done the "Old Style" warm-ups since fuel injection became the norm in the late '80's - Just start 'er up and drive away (slowly, at first.) and in many,many miles since then, I have had ZERO engine, fuel, oil, fluids, spark plug issues (plug wires, coils etc. once or twice - not warm-up related).
I just keep up on the standard maintenance schedule - and all is well.

As always, YMMV this is just my experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Engine warmup

With my previous non-hybrid car I usually let my engine warm up in the morning (wait until the RPMs start dropping), which usually takes a few seconds depending on the temperatures outside.

With temperatures starting to drop here in Canada, I was wondering if it's necessary to let the ICE in the Insight warm up? My initial guess is no? I'm thinking the difference in load on the engine between charging the battery at idling vs low speed driving is not significant. Although I probably wouldn't floor it in morning :). What do you guys think?

So what got me thinking about this is this morning I noticed that the engine kicked in as soon as I started the car even with a full battery. I later realized it's because the heat was on, and as soon as I turned off the climate control the engine turned off. So I wondered if there's any value in waiting a few seconds in colder weather.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
With temperatures starting to drop here in Canada, I was wondering if it's necessary to let the ICE in the Insight warm up? My initial guess is no? I'm thinking the difference in load on the engine between charging the battery at idling vs low speed driving is not significant. Although I probably wouldn't floor it in morning :). What do you guys think?
Added your question to a thread related to engine warm-up and mpg. :)

The general opinion is that engine warm-up is not needed. But my old-school preference is to let the the gas engine warm up a bit before using it under driving load... even if it chews into mpg by driving 0 miles while using some gas.

The cabin heat is maintained by the gas engine (vs A/C being maintained by electric motor). One of the tips @hasarad shared previously was to match-up the timing for running cabin heat to when the gas engine would normally run; this helps maximize/extend the benefit the gas engine running, without running it separately just for heating. And another tip offered was using mittens instead of running the heat. :)

There's a thread on 'passive' cabin heating/cooling, which might be of additional interest. Passive heating might not be enough for Canada winters, but could help until then. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...rface/2904-passive-cabin-heating-cooling.html

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
With my previous non-hybrid car I usually let my engine warm up in the morning (wait until the RPMs start dropping), which usually takes a few seconds depending on the temperatures outside.

So what got me thinking about this is this morning I noticed that the engine kicked in as soon as I started the car even with a full battery. I later realized it's because the heat was on, and as soon as I turned off the climate control the engine turned off. So I wondered if there's any value in waiting a few seconds in colder weather.
I drive it when I get in since it warms the car up faster than idling. Just don't do any hard acceleration until you feel like the engine is warm enough. The Insight's computer monitors and controls the powertrain so I figure if it doesn't want to drive until it's warm enough it won't let me. It actually does this for the battery and prevents you from driving if it's too cold. When you power up the car it goes through a quick diagnostic check and then gives you the "ready" light on the dashboard.

·
Registered
205 Posts
How long to warm up engine? I auto start my Touring trim for 6min..is that warm enough? My winter gas mileage is horrid 32-38mpg at 75mph (30F).

I have Michelin "Green" X-ice v3 winter tires on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I suspect speed is more the issue than temperature

How long to warm up engine? I auto start my Touring trim for 6min..is that warm enough? My winter gas mileage is horrid 32-38mpg at 75mph (30F).

·
Registered
836 Posts

If I had a touring, and a higher speed highway commute. I'd turn climate control off, not use remote start. Heated seats on until I've driven for 5-10 minutes, then set the climate control to auto 65*F until warm, then passive heat.

At that speed, your gas mileage is almost as good as my drive to Long Island at 80 mph in summer, your biggest enemy is that your commute is unfortunately not what the Insight was ever designed for (higher speed highway).

Warming up the engine does little for warming the battery, and you get 0mpg while "warming" the engine. The biggest gains in gas mileage come from the HV battery, and unfortunately the car doesn't utilize it as well at higher speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
324 Posts
If I had a touring, and a higher speed highway commute. I'd turn climate control off, not use remote start. Heated seats on until I've driven for 5-10 minutes, then set the climate control to auto 65*F until warm, then passive heat.

At that speed, your gas mileage is almost as good as my drive to Long Island at 80 mph in summer, your biggest enemy is that your commute is unfortunately not what the Insight was ever designed for (higher speed highway).

Warming up the engine does little for warming the battery, and you get 0mpg while "warming" the engine. The biggest gains in gas mileage come from the HV battery, and unfortunately the car doesn't utilize it as well at higher speeds.
Exactly, the Insight is essentially a Civic above 70mph (not my quote, somebody said that in this forum).

Still reasonably ahead of the pack. See results for previous Insight:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2009/09/tested-speed-vs-fuel-economy/index.htm

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
Remote start is part of what's killing your MPG (0 miles traveled while fuel is being burned). On cold weather drives, I have low mpg in the first 3-5 minutes of driving, then it starts to improve/increase from there for rest of drive. My reco is no warm up; use the first 3-5 minutes of driving for the warm up instead, and you should see an 'instant' mpg help from that alone.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts

I don't even think a warm engine is the problem for you because your commute is more than 30 minutes. It's the speed you're traveling at which is preventing EV mode. You need to keep ACC at 70mph max. Give that a try and report back what you get.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't even think a warm engine is the problem for you because your commute is more than 30 minutes. It's the speed you're traveling at which is preventing EV mode. You need to keep ACC at 70mph max. Give that a try and report back what you get.
I can reasonable attest that at 70mph on our thruway out that way, he'll get run off the road. Like most of the Mass-Pike it's two lanes out there, and cars are usually traveling 20-25mph over the speed limit. Even Semi's travel over 70mph. The biggest issue is that out there, the Thruway is the only way to get from point a to b in a reasonable amount of time, and drivers are ruthless. It's a very boring, mostly flat, mostly straight commute where people are rushing from one city to another.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can't go 65-70mph on the NYS thruway. Big 18wheeler Semi-trucks go faster then that unless there's a huge hill up ahead. Lolol.

I think a Toyota Hybrid Corolla would of been better for me or a Ionic hybrid.

Toyota's are engineered to have better mpg going above 70mph.
Honda's are better at snail pace traffic

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
324 Posts
Anybody using Sports mode to gently warm up the car when driving off? I'm going to do some testing to see if it helps for 10+ mi trips. Now that I know the exact battery % thanks to my OBDII reader, Sports mode is not as bad as I thought. You take an immediate hit because it charges the battery and warms up the engine but then it pays off (around 160°F coolant is close enough to maximum efficiency, that's what I have observed at least.).

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts