Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does hot weather effect mpg as much as cold weather? I'm in central Texas. I think we had almost a month of over 100F days here this year. Cold weather, below 40F... maybe a few days to a few weeks...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does hot weather effect mpg as much as cold weather? I'm in central Texas. I think we had almost a month of over 100F days here this year. Cold weather, below 40F... maybe a few days to a few weeks...
For me, hot weather has been a problem. I can barely get over mid-30s for a lunch break drive, due to the heavy AC load. Now that it has finally cooled off a bit (Florida), I'm averaging ~49 vs. 47.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
I didn't see a hit from hot weather. I got my Insight in August and have put up phenomenal numbers as long as I am paying attention (60+mpg) even with the A/C blasting. Since it turned colder and the fuel changed to winter blend, I am seeing a 4-5mpg hit. It takes longer for the engine to warm up, and EV mode is unavailable while the cabin is being heated. Although I tested a theory and didn't use the heat for one of my drives to work, it appeared to make no difference. I chalk up the mpg drop the the winder blend of fuel more than anything else. I have a 1.5 hour drive to work, so the engine is heated early in the drive. Therefore, I can see short drives killing the average even more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The weather has an effect, actually. But I think it is common for all hybrids.
While I was getting around 60 mpg at warmer days of summer, it reduced to around 54 now. I'm in NJ, which temp is dropped to 40s now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
...I have a 1.5 hour drive to work, so the engine is heated early in the drive. Therefore, I can see short drives killing the average even more.
I think this is exactly what makes the difference. If the engine spends all the time running to reach operating temp, or to provide extra power to cool the cabin (like for my Florida lunch breaks), weather should have a big effect.
Now that I’m driving in room temperature weather, my average keeps rising and rising above 50 for the first time since I bought the car. I was over 60 MPG for every drive yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
You're killin' me Smalls!

Just a little observation.

Honda released the 2019 Insight in the middle of the summer. I believe there is a reason for this. Had they done the release in Sept/Oct, it wouldn't be long before complaints of low MPG vs EPA estimates started coming in. I bought mine in early August, and have been very happy to average over 60mpg in the first 5,000 miles. Since the cold weather hit, I've lost about 7mpg. While this till puts me in the realm of the actual EPA estimates, some are not as fortunate. Those just making the EPA numbers over the summer are now seeing numbers in the 40s. We all understand why this is - winter gas, cabin heat, engine warming before EV kicks in, etc. I just find the timing of the Insight release as a planned event to get good reviews before winter. The 2019 Civic just came out (as did their other models). Why release the Insight early?

Don't get me wrong. I'm still in love with my Insight. Even without stellar MPG numbers, it's still a well-built, comfortable car. I can live with sub-60 numbers for the winter. I have cleaned my garage in order to give my Insight a warm place to sleep at night in hopes that warming batteries and cabin will boost my numbers.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am one of those Insight drivers tracking every fillup on fuelly.com. I am from Canada.....and yes it is cold here now. I enjoyed 52 to 54 mpg in August.....now I am 45 to 46 mpg .....and having just put my snow tires on this week, I expect that to drop even more. Yes....it sucks, but it is still waaaaay cheaper than the four cylinder Hyundai Santa Fe I drove last. Probably half the cost of fuel.

Every vehicle will drop in gas milage once the cold weather hits. Stats say up to 20%.

As for the release date.......I also was driving a 2019 at the beginning of August. I have yet to see an Insight ad though. They did not market them hard then....or now.

I really hope to see 54 mpg next summer again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even with a 30mph tail wind my Insight only got 59.5 on my 60 mile ride home. That was only done once. Usually in the warmer temps I get about 48-50MPG. This car doesn't do great at highway speeds 65-75mph.

What speeds are you driving to get the gas mileage?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,063 Posts
Even with a 30mph tail wind my Insight only got 59.5 on my 60 mile ride home. That was only done once. Usually in the warmer temps I get about 48-50MPG. This car doesn't do great at highway speeds 65-75mph.

45-50MPH over 100 miles (50 miles each way with gentle rolling hills) and temps >=50F

·
Registered
91 Posts

Agree with Gerryzub in that the car does not do well with mpg when going 65+ mph. I commute each day via Route 80 in north jersey normally between 55-60 mph with periodic bursts to 65 mph. I have been recently getting between low to mid 50s mpg, but expect in the next couple weeks to solidly hit mid 50s (or high 50s if I play it really conservatively). I have noticed that high acceleration in very long entrance ramps onto the Garden State Parkway (such as Paramus Park) can cause a significant, immediate hit in mpg for your entire tank of gas. Even though .3-.5 mpg does not sound like a big loss overall , I consider it a significant loss for only 15-25 seconds of very high acceleration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts