Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
4,711 Posts
I use ACC mode frequently when my daughter is in dance class. I watch movies over BT. ACC mode shuts off after one hour to preserve battery. I've flipped it back on resulting in two hours (or more for a longer class) of ACC use.
@hasarad - Is it the Bluetooth Audio app/selection that enables this? Or a different external app? Are play/pause controls on phone, volume controls on screen, and audio thru the car's stereo system?

This (older) video from Honda illustrates with HDMI input (which is not on Insight), so per above, was wondering if the same applies but just thru Honda's Bluetooth App on the infotainment screen?

·
Administrator
4,711 Posts
The Honda video mentions watching on display screen only works while car is in park (and parking brake is engaged?).

I saw the following for Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey and am curious if the following will work on the Insight infotainment (different version) to continue watching while in motion:
  • Enter service/diagnostic menu by pressing "Power + Previous Track + Home" buttons concurrently for 5 seconds
  • Select "Detail Information & Setting"
  • Press and hold "Day/Night" button to get to Developer Diagnostics screen
  • Select "Driver Distraction"
  • Toggle to "Off"
  • Return to "Home" screen to see if videos can still be watched while in motion

·
Registered
49 Posts
Morning all, has anyone figured out if watching movies/media on infotainment screen is possible. I have my iPhone mount and have a long commute over 2 hours and generally turn on my netflix to watch my downloaded movies. The movies are generally more background noise than anything, but I do like to watch on occasion. I have a 2019 Insight, so if anyone could share whether or not they have had some luck in figuring it out I would appreciate it if you could share your technical support. Thanks.

·
Administrator
4,711 Posts
Morning all, has anyone figured out if watching movies/media on infotainment screen is possible. I have my iPhone mount and have a long commute over 2 hours and generally turn on my netflix to watch my downloaded movies. The movies are generally more background noise than anything, but I do like to watch on occasion. I have a 2019 Insight, so if anyone could share whether or not they have had some luck in figuring it out I would appreciate it if you could share your technical support. Thanks.
Added your question to existing thread. @hasarad uses Bluetooth to watch movies on the infotainment screen. Honda default only allows projection to the infotainment screen while car is parked, but maybe the service/diagnostic trick from the Pilot/Ridgeline/Odyssey might allow viewing on the Insight as well?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,472 Posts
Sorry @insightfully. I just saw your question. I only use Bluetooth for audio when watching movies. There are indeed controls for play/stop/pause on the infotainment screen. Video is still on the phone - which is in a phone holder clipped to my steering wheel.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If you don’t mind going aftermarket headunit and losing a few features, such as the side mirror/blindspot camera, go aftermarket.But that can be added also with aftermarket equipment after talking to a local car audio shop.

I don’t do it often, but was just doing it a little while ago on the freeway on my ride home with ACC engaged and It was wonderful. I have an iPhone and I connect it through HDMI with the HDMI adapter from Apple.

If you have an android, my unit also supports wireless mirroring as well as some other aftermarket head units. Black Friday will be a big sale for a lot of car electronics so if you find a really good deal on one and you decide to go aftermarket, it would be a very good time to purchase.Probably the best time in the entire year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you don’t mind going aftermarket headunit and losing a few features, such as the side mirror/blindspot camera, go aftermarket.But that can be added also with aftermarket equipment after talking to a local car audio shop.

I don’t do it often, but was just doing it a little while ago on the freeway on my ride home with ACC engaged and It was wonderful. I have an iPhone and I connect it through HDMI with the HDMI adapter from Apple.

If you have an android, my unit also supports wireless mirroring as well as some other aftermarket head units. Black Friday will be a big sale for a lot of car electronics so if you find a really good deal on one and you decide to go aftermarket, it would be a very good time to purchase.Probably the best time in the entire year.
I had a really nice Pioneer AVIC-7000NEX head unit in my Gen2. Double din, capacitive touch screen, Apple Carplay, and I even added headrests with video monitors for the people in the back seat to watch movies. I also used an HDMI adapter to connect my iPhone. I had considered options for my new 2020 Insight, but I personally think the cons outweigh the pros. You not only lose the blindspot camera, but also any integrated functionality like the power flow meter, trip computer, vehicle settings, etc. Plus it already has carplay/android auto built-in. Adding the ability to watch movies just isn't enough for me to lose all those things (though you can get carplay/android in many aftermarket units). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Gen3 only has a single din slot, so that also limits you to the head units you can get and would have to have the extended screen like the OEM radio.

With larger phone screens, tablets, and streaming services, it seems more families are just now watching their own things on their own devices, so the need for in-car video seems less. But that could just be my own perceptions.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a really nice Pioneer AVIC-7000NEX head unit in my Gen2. Double din, capacitive touch screen, Apple Carplay, and I even added headrests with video monitors for the people in the back seat to watch movies. I also used an HDMI adapter to connect my iPhone. I had considered options for my new 2020 Insight, but I personally think the cons outweigh the pros. You not only lose the blindspot camera, but also any integrated functionality like the power flow meter, trip computer, vehicle settings, etc. Plus it already has carplay/android auto built-in. Adding the ability to watch movies just isn't enough for me to lose all those things (though you can get carplay/android in many aftermarket units). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Gen3 only has a single din slot, so that also limits you to the head units you can get and would have to have the extended screen like the OEM radio.

With larger phone screens, tablets, and streaming services, it seems more families are just now watching their own things on their own devices, so the need for in-car video seems less. But that could just be my own perceptions.
you don’t totally lose all the car diagnostics/readings with removing OEM head unit do you? I believe it is still available on the main screen (the one right in front of you). Also, a lot of people on this forum really want wireless CarPlay/android and most of these newer aftermarket head units will have this feature (not to mention a plethora of other features the OEM unit does not have,depending on what head unit you get).

check out the “changing out OEM head unit in LX” thread in the user interface sub-forum and I have a picture of my LX head unit removed from car. I currently have a double din stereo in my LX and I’m sure double din will fit EX/Touring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you don’t totally lose all the car diagnostics/readings with removing OEM head unit do you? I believe it is still available on the main screen (the one right in front of you). Also, a lot of people on this forum really want wireless CarPlay/android and most of these newer aftermarket head units will have this feature (not to mention a plethora of other features the OEM unit does not have,depending on what head unit you get).

check out the “changing out OEM head unit in LX” thread in the user interface sub-forum and I have a picture of my LX head unit removed from car. I currently have a double din stereo in my LX and I’m sure double din will fit EX/Touring.
I stand corrected on the double din. I haven't had a chance to pull out my unit yet, and since Crutchfield only recommended single din that's why I thought it had to be. Just looked at the other thread. Nice setup!

I guess wireless Carplay would be pretty cool. Don't think I'm ready to change out my EX deck just yet. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,907 Posts
you don’t totally lose all the car diagnostics/readings with removing OEM head unit do you? I believe it is still available on the main screen (the one right in front of you).
For the EX/Touring we access our vehicle customization and settings via the infotainment system vs the instrument cluster's left digital screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts