Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time it rains and I open the driver’s door, one or two big drops of water drip from above and always hit my head and/or left leg before I’ve even exited the car. The water appears to either drip from the frame seal or the frame between the door seal and frame seal. This even happens after it’s stopped raining, as long as the car is wet. In past cars, the integrated rain guard on the roof has always kept water from dripping down. To me, the door seal should be keeping rain out of the inner frame area to begin with so I don’t know if it’s a design issue or a flaw in the weatherstrip itself. Anyone else encountered this??

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,333 Posts
I don't have this issue with my Insight but I'm not sure if the water beading(from applying Meguiar's HCW) on my car has anything to do with preventing it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it relate to "door sealing" comments in this thread on Design Defects? The observations related to water accumulation at the bottom door sill, but perhaps there's also issue at top side of seal?
I don’t seem to be getting much water at the bottom end. This car is much better sealed then my previous 2016 500X in that respect, but the dripping from above is annoying. It’s akin to having a roof with no rain gutter. Not sure if this is related but I also seem to be hearing a light wind rushing noise from the same door. I can hear wind noise at speeds as low as 45, but I’m not sure if I’m hearing it simply because the car is so much quieter then any other car I’ve had or if there’s a problem with the door fit. I’m not seeing any obvious weatherstrip damage or misalignment.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
I don’t seem to be getting much water at the bottom end. This car is much better sealed then my previous 2016 500X in that respect, but the dripping from above is annoying. It’s akin to having a roof with no rain gutter. Not sure if this is related but I also seem to be hearing a light wind rushing noise from the same door. I can hear wind noise at speeds as low as 45, but I’m not sure if I’m hearing it simply because the car is so much quieter then any other car I’ve had or if there’s a problem with the door fit. I’m not seeing any obvious weatherstrip damage or misalignment.
^Give this a try, maybe it will fix the wind noise, and have your door more closely shut to prevent the water dripping.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD-9FkrQtkA
^Give this a try, maybe it will fix the wind noise, and have your door more closely shut to prevent the water dripping.
Thanks for this idea! I did not know the bumper could adjust the door fit like that. I’ll try screwing it in a little and see if that stops the wind noise at least. I’ve actually opened the door while driving and reslammed it, thinking it wasn’t closed. That did lessen the noise so I think the door isn’t quite fitting right.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Andrew, fantastic tip!

I've noticed some driver side wind noise, too, although mine sounds more like it's coming from the top of the window rather than the door frame. Any ideas on that?

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
Andrew, fantastic tip!

I've noticed some driver side wind noise, too, although mine sounds more like it's coming from the top of the window rather than the door frame. Any ideas on that?
Perhaps this is overly simplistic and you've already done this as a first check... but maybe to see if the window is fully up (?). Sometimes even when I think the window is fully up, there's a little more upward motion left if I tug on the control.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Andrew, fantastic tip!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD49GTS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/321-interior/2510-minimum-care-leather-weather-stripping.html
^That silicone grease is known to help with reducing wind noise. It sort of moisturizes the rubber so it isn't as rigid which helps seal out wind noise.

·
Super Moderator
3,314 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD49GTS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/321-interior/2510-minimum-care-leather-weather-stripping.html
^That silicone grease is known to help with reducing wind noise. It sort of moisturizes the rubber so it isn't as rigid which helps seal out wind noise.
Can this be applied to the top of window/felt seal to address the sound from top of window vs door frame gasket? I thought I read the application was for rubber areas only...

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Can this be applied to the top of window/felt seal to address the sound from top of window vs door frame gasket? I thought I read the application was for rubber areas only...
Hmm... Didn't know the top of the window was also felt. @J. Bond can still give it a try on the rubber seal near the top of the door frame if isn't coming exactly from the window.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update...

The door bumper was already screwed in about as far as it would go. I screwed maybe a 1/4 turn more. I haven’t been noticing the wind noise anymore, although I’m not sure if that minor adjustment really helped. It definitely didn’t help the rain drip issue. Still gets very wet at the upper frame area and drips on me.

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Update...

The door bumper was already screwed in about as far as it would go. I screwed maybe a 1/4 turn more. I haven’t been noticing the wind noise anymore, although I’m not sure if that minor adjustment really helped. It definitely didn’t help the rain drip issue. Still gets very wet at the upper frame area and drips on me.
Maybe you should apply some water bead coating like Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax or Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine? Making the water stick to your paint as water beads or gets blown off your car as you drive so when you open the door it wouldn't drip as much. Good to hear the wind noise is fixed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe you should apply some water bead coating like Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax or Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine? Making the water stick to your paint as water beads or gets blown off your car as you drive so when you open the door it wouldn't drip as much. Good to hear the wind noise is fixed.
Ugh, tonight, during a tropical storm induced rain event, I opened the door and a big fat rain drop fell RIGHT on my eyeball before I could fully exit. It only drips in one or two specific areas. SO ANNOYING!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ugh, tonight, during a tropical storm induced rain event, I opened the door and a big fat rain drop fell RIGHT on my eyeball before I could fully exit. It only drips in one or two specific areas. SO ANNOYING!!
Can't imagine it happening to a nicer guy. 😉😁
Carfreak, you tickle me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I think I’ve figured out what the problem is. It must be a door fitment issue. The photos show the intrusion of water on the inner frame, which then drips down on me when I open the door. The other 3 door frame areas were dry. Can I get confirmation from others that this area of their door frame stays dry after rain?

Not sure how/if this can be fixed as it suggests a sagging door. Probably why I also hear air noise sometimes.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
So I think I’ve figured out what the problem is. It must be a door fitment issue. The photos show the intrusion of water on the inner frame, which then drips down on me when I open the door. The other 3 door frame areas were dry. Can I get confirmation from others that this area of their door frame stays dry after rain?

Not sure how/if this can be fixed as it suggests a sagging door. Probably why I also hear air noise sometimes.
I think my inner frame stays dry but I will have to double check when it rains again.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Unfortunately I garage my car so I haven't noticed rain intrusion problems, but I can attest to door alignment problems. Please look on the outside of your doors and tell me if you can visually see any alignment problems. My passenger door was misaligned by a small margin and I have visually seen this on brand new insights from the lot. If you saw one of my more recent videos where I talk about the repair of the gas door I tell the tale of how they fix these very minor alignment problems at Honda collision. Basically if it's off my maybe a millimeter or so they literally lean on the door to lower it or pull up to raise it. I found the entire thing to be rather comical, but it did fix the problem. They said it's safer to do it this way for very minor misalignments rather than removing the door which can be a bit problematic. If your doir is significantly misaligned, then they need to take it into the shop since the latching mechanisms will need to be moved as well. Hope this helps a bit.

On another note. Please continue posting your adventures with your ornery insight. I need more ideas for stories to tell on my channel. You tickle me constantly. 😉

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Unfortunately I garage my car so I haven't noticed rain intrusion problems, but I can attest to door alignment problems. Please look on the outside of your doors and tell me if you can visually see any alignment problems. My passenger door was misaligned by a small margin and I have visually seen this on brand new insights from the lot. If you saw one of my more recent videos where I talk about the repair of the gas door I tell the tale of how they fix these very minor alignment problems at Honda collision. Basically if it's off my maybe a millimeter or so they literally lean on the door to lower it or pull up to raise it. I found the entire thing to be rather comical, but it did fix the problem. They said it's safer to do it this way for very minor misalignments rather than removing the door which can be a bit problematic. If your doir is significantly misaligned, then they need to take it into the shop since the latching mechanisms will need to be moved as well. Hope this helps a bit.

On another note. Please continue posting your adventures with your ornery insight. I need more ideas for stories to tell on my channel. You tickle me constantly. 😉
As you can see by the pics below, the chrome strip does not line up on the driver’s door (1st pic) compared to the passenger side. Based on that, it does appear the driver’s door is sagging slightly. The weatherstrip also doesn’t look straight, with it depressed inward on the driver’s door upper rear corner and inward on the rear passenger door in the upper forward corner. What’s your weatherstrip look like in those areas on your car?

Apologies for it being sideways. I hate how Apple phones do that with these forums.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,065 Posts
As you can see by the pics below, the chrome strip does not line up on the driver’s door (1st pic) compared to the passenger side. Based on that, it does appear the driver’s door is sagging slightly. The weatherstrip also doesn’t look straight, with it depressed inward on the driver’s door upper rear corner and inward on the rear passenger door in the upper forward corner. What’s your weatherstrip look like in those areas on your car?

Apologies for it being sideways. I hate how Apple phones do that with these forums.
Yep. That'll definitely let water in. Don't accept it as normal. Honda owes you a fix.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts