Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am noticing that water keeps pooling up in the windshield cowl.

It does not affect the car in anyway and the water does not flow into places it’s not supposed to. It is just inconvenient when my cloth keeps dipping in the water when wiping down the windshield.

Is this a design flaw common with other Insights or do I have a drain issue somewhere?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
Hi all,

I am noticing that water keeps pooling up in the windshield cowl.

It does not affect the car in anyway and the water does not flow into places it’s not supposed to. It is just inconvenient when my cloth keeps dipping in the water when wiping down the windshield.

Is this a design flaw common with other Insights or do I have a drain issue somewhere?
I don't think I've seen anything like that with my Insight. There should be drain holes in that area if my memory serves me right...

Reactions: bryan

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Your car is a Touring trim, correct? I don't think there are drains at the bottom of the cowl itself, but I think the sunroof can drain into that area. Maybe give the sunroof perimeter a check, to see if there is anything blocking/clogging flow in the sunroof area (?).

Cowl Pictures (74200-TXM-A00) - https://ahparts.com/buy-used/2019-honda-insight-windshield-cover-cowl-74200-txm-a00-74200txma00/255147-1
Parts Diagram (74200-TXM-A00) - https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~74200-txm-a00.html?Make=Honda&Model=Insight&Year=2019&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=4,1600;et=2,4)

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I have an EX with the same issue. I'll get it into Honda for a look-see eventually. I've been living with it since the car was new.

Reactions: bryan

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same issue with my Touring. If you look at the parts listed in above post you will see that the cowling only has drain holes on one side. If your car was sitting perfectly level the water might drain to the other side
but if it is on an angle the water will pool. When I do the final rinse with a hose I just shoot the water to the other side so very little pooling

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same issue with water pooling on the passenger side when I hand wash. My driveway is slanted, and I wash with the nose up and it pools a lot. But it eventually drains. I never realized the holes were only on the driver side.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the replies,
@insightfully : yes it's a Touring and it only pools up when I wash the car. I don't notice any build-up on dry/light rain days. (Maybe because the water could flow to driver-side drain holes when in motion)

I also believe that it is due to the angle of the ground where I am parked just like @4star and @ScottyWM mentioned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wondering how long till someone posted on this topic, one of the 1st things I noticed on its 1st hand wash.
Yep any lean to the passenger side and you have a kiddie pool. I just need to remember to park the car opposite so the lean is to the drivers side when washing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happens to me on the passenger side of my 2020 Touring Insight. Very bummed dealer says it’s a known issue w this car. “Don’t park it under a tree” is his advice. And they sell cars to buyers who live in the city known for tree lined streets!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Haha it's so funny you mention this. I live in DC and my only option is street parking or a back parking pad that is under 4 trees. Lol. Water pools like crazy when washing it. I don't see any holes in the dash for a drain... Wondering if that's a design flaw...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe they're like Mazda Miatas, which I've owned a few. They have a drain below the top in the rear that allows water to drain through a tube and empty below the car. Park under a tree, especially a pine tree, and you'll eventually have a plugged drain. We used a trombone snake to clean them out. They're flexible with a brush on the end and are used to clean the insides of trombones.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I keep meaning to drill a hole and add a tube, but then I keep forgetting about this because the only time I notice is when cleaning the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,239 Posts
I keep meaning to drill a hole and add a tube, but then I keep forgetting about this because the only time I notice is when cleaning the car.
It only seems to happen with an inundation of water when washing the car. I just sop it up at that time. I don't think it's really worth drilling and tubing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It only seems to happen with an inundation of water when washing the car. I just sop it up at that time. I don't think it's really worth drilling and tubing.
I do not even go that far. I just let it slowly drain out when I drive next, or let it evaporate... but at some point in time I will probably have that panel off, so it will get a hole.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
I think it has to do with how uneven the ground your Insight is sitting on. The drain holes are near the driver side and my Insight drains the water fine with a little leftover on the passenger side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts