Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity, how many of you do the speed trap incident reporting in Google Waze? I'm thinking about using it on an upcoming trip across the country. (Returning home from central Missouri to Eastern Washington, about 1,650 miles.)

However, I'm a little reluctant because I'm thinking that if I know the speed trap locations ahead of me, I'm more likely to go faster than I should be going prior to the speed trap. So for example, if the speed limit is 70 and there's no indication of a speed trap ahead (based on Waze), then knowing me, I'm more likely to go 80-82 mph and not worry as much about getting caught. However, I know that excessive speed is one of the top causes of accidents (See article HERE). So the angel in me thinks I absolutely should not know where the speed traps ahead are, but the devil in me wants to know that info so I can go faster and out smart the highway patrol. :)

What's your take on this?

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's nice to know, but it's not perfect, and the lead foot can easily cost you more time than you'll make up. Not to mention more money than what the trip costs in gas.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Especially for long trips, my approach would be to "set and forget" to let cruise control (either ACC or standard) manage the speed/throttle variations on my behalf. I'd control the route based on Waze recommendation, but would prefer sit back and enjoy the scenery otherwise. I'll get there soon enough... and will enjoy the drive along the way. ;)

On short/daily drives, I use Waze more for traffic and route recommendations. I tend to ignore the speed trap info overall.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Just out of curiousity, how many of you do the speed trap incident reporting in Google Waze? I'm thinking about using it on an upcoming trip across the country. (Returning home from central Missouri to Eastern Washington, about 1,650 miles.)

However, I'm a little reluctant because I'm thinking that if I know the speed trap locations ahead of me, I'm more likely to go faster than I should be going prior to the speed trap. So for example, if the speed limit is 70 and there's no indication of a speed trap ahead (based on Waze), then knowing me, I'm more likely to go 80-82 mph and not worry as much about getting caught. However, I know that excessive speed is one of the top causes of accidents (See article HERE). So the angel in me thinks I absolutely should not know where the speed traps ahead are, but the devil in me wants to know that info so I can go faster and out smart the highway patrol. :)

What's your take on this?
I would just set speed and use ACC for a long trip on the highway. The speed trap alerts rely on other Wazers to report but you could also be the first Waze user speeding pass a cop that others haven't report on yet.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,059 Posts
I use Waze pretty much 100% of the time I'm in my Insight. Mostly for traffic avoidance and to know when I'm going to arrive somewhere. The police warning piece is as good as the people using Waze. If you're on a highly traveled route, all should be reported. On my country road route to work, there's so little traffic, I doubt every cop would be reported. If you're that worried, have you thought about a radar detector? @PHILBERT may have some advice on that topic. I think he may be a member of the buck-plus club. I don't speed, so I'd know nothing about actual cop avoidance.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
I use Waze pretty much 100% of the time I'm in my Insight. Mostly for traffic avoidance and to know when I'm going to arrive somewhere. The police warning piece is as good as the people using Waze. If you're on a highly traveled route, all should be reported. On my country road route to work, there's so little traffic, I doubt every cop would be reported. If you're that worried, have you thought about a radar detector? @PHILBERT may have some advice on that topic. I think he may be a member of the buck-plus club. I don't speed, so I'd know nothing about actual cop avoidance.
An off duty state trooper once told me that he opens the Waze app to see if his hiding spot has been reported. If it has been reported then he will set up shop somewhere else. It's only frustrating for him when Wazers are really proactive in using the reporting function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just set my cruise to a speed I'm comfortable with. I'm not going to play the game of slowing down and speeding up every time there may be a cop nearby.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use Waze all the time. I'm usually commuting in traffic, so using it more for occasional reroutes to avoid slow downs. However, I'm pretty diligent in reporting everything if I notice it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Waze police spots don't last very long.

It's far better for construction zones and broken down cars on the shoulder.

It's fantastic for long trips on the highway. Too much busy work for normal driving around though.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Can confirm from yesterday that 0 of the "police spots" had police cars near them. And that's in the most policed state in the Country.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts