Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o when I started my Insight shopping hunt, I found a site that let you submit your contact info and get quotes from several of the metro area Honda dealers (though not all of them). One of the first quotes I received, the rep included things I wasn't intending on getting in the price (tinting and the “Popack"). Their drive out total for an EX was, IIRC $24,977. Last week I'd gotten a quote for $24,612 for an EX without the add-ons. Another dealer said they could beet that by $100, but that was the absolute lowest they could go. Yesterday, I had the first dealer give me a new quote WITHOUT the extras, which brought it down to $24,025.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Now just need to get my ducks in a row so I can finally take the plunge.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
To ensure fair comparison and avoid surprises when you arrive dealer - were these all quoted as out-the-door total price, including tax / title / license / fees?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Also, if they try to adjust the price, just walk out the door, they'll call you and make it work, if they don't they didn't want your business anyways.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, they were all OTD totals including TTL, destination, etc.

One of the dealerships was the first one my mom and I went to to test drive cars. The sales guy was one of the nicest we've ever met and totally no-pressure. He made it such a pleasant experience that we were considering buying from them if their price was reasonable, solely on the experience. They were one of the lower quotes. I'm waiting for them to check with their superior about whether they can beat the lowest quote.

·
Super Moderator
2,334 Posts
o when I started my Insight shopping hunt, I found a site that let you submit your contact info and get quotes from several of the metro area Honda dealers (though not all of them). One of the first quotes I received, the rep included things I wasn't intending on getting in the price (tinting and the “Popack"). Their drive out total for an EX was, IIRC $24,977. Last week I'd gotten a quote for $24,612 for an EX without the add-ons. Another dealer said they could beet that by $100, but that was the absolute lowest they could go. Yesterday, I had the first dealer give me a new quote WITHOUT the extras, which brought it down to $24,025.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Now just need to get my ducks in a row so I can finally take the plunge.
Okay so I lied.. I went in for July 4th and ended up purchasing the car. Got the EX for $23,700 OTD (ttl included) with some add-ons such as tint, trunk tray, splash guards, and door guards. How did I do? I probably could have gone lower.. This is my first time buying a new car and I had a bad experience with another dealership not taking me seriously being young and female.
@honeyham in another thread mentioned she's from Texas and got the above deal last week. Maybe she can PM you the dealer she worked with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first sales guy that took me on my first test drive That was amazingly nice and no pressure is confident he can beat the $24,025 price. He was such a pleasant person to deal with that we were considering buying from him if their price was reasonable. Will be going in to see what he can offer next week.

·
Super Moderator
3,315 Posts
The first sales guy that took me on my first test drive That was amazingly nice and no pressure is confident he can beat the $24,025 price. He was such a pleasant person to deal with that we were considering buying from him if their price was reasonable. Will be going in to see what he can offer next week.
There's definitely at lot that can be said about the value of relationships! As the old sales adage goes, "people do business with people they like" (and trust). Good luck in your continued negotiations!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's definitely at lot that can be said about the value of relationships! As the old sales adage goes, "people do business with people they like" (and trust).

Absolutely. In talking to the manager, I had admitted that the Lowest quote I had received was a large enough difference to likely sway us from buying my Insight from them, despite our fondness for, and appreciation of the experience from the sales guy. He had seemed unsure e could do better and was going to have to talk to his superior. We were glad the the sales guy had reached out to me and was confident he could offer me an even better deal.

Also, All other sales guys would give me a quote and be like, "So when is a good day/time for you to come in and pick up your new Insight?"
Rather annoying.

I'd keep telling them that we were trying to get ducks in a row and were sill a week or two out. I know there was one guy I had to tell that to at least
t twice before he got the hint.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I won't lie, I'm ok with the price we paid for ours (roughly msrp otd). But I would have never purchased the car at the dealership we went to if it wasn't the only one within 50 miles that had the color we wanted with the black interior.

I would have never told the dealership that. We actually lied initially and told them we really wanted a color set they didn't have in stock, and then picked another exterior color they had in stock with the white interior that we didn't want as our "second option". I was also smart to note the two nearest competitors had the colors "we wanted" in stock. We simply told the salesperson that because my boss buys all of his cars from their dealership group, we wanted to give them business, because relationships are important (which is true, he had purchased a bmw x7 2 weeks prior and paid full msrp).

Using every trick in my arsenal, we still weren't close on price. The dealership tried every trick in their book, including dealer-add ons, and the dreaded 4 square chart. After about 15 minutes of them not budging, we thanked them for their time, and walked towards the door. Before we even got to reception, the sales person said "give me one more chance". In the end , they were only $50 off my very reasonable offer.

When you are ready to make the splurge, it may be in your benefit to visit the dealership of your choice, give them one chance to beat the offer, tell them if they do, you'll sign today. They'll either do it, or not. Chances are they'll do it though, they know that they have an 84% chance you'll buy the car from them. If you walk out the door, it goes down to 1%.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts