Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to add the web browser on the infotainment system. I know it can be added on the civic and accord but what about the 2019 Insight?

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Does anyone know how to add the web browser on the infotainment system. I know it can be added on the civic and accord but what about the 2019 Insight?
The only method I know of that works is carbridge which requires a jailbroken iPhone. No display audio software hack exist for the 10th gen Accord or 3rd gen Insight the last time I checked.

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
Are you looking to mirror a web browser from your phone onto the infotainment screen, OR are you looking to add web browser app to the infotainment system?

If you've found instructions that add the web browser app to the infotainment screen for the Gen10 Accord head unit, they might be worth trying on the Gen3 Insight. The mentions I've seen on Accord forums talk about entering 'developer' mode, possibly needing to re-add the app with each use, and that the app only works when the car is parked. This post is the 'simplest' instruction I've seen for the Accord, however posts later in the same thread mention it doesn't work for every Accord trim level. Have you seen other instruction for the Accord worth trying?

The Gen10 Civic head unit menu and format are older/different from the current Insight, and the instructions are less likely compatible with our car. The 2017 Civic manual mentioned the option to add browser app, but this 'feature' was eliminated from the 2018 Civic manual... likely eliminated for liability/risk of driver use while operating the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I have successfully opened up Developer Mode and accesses 2 hidden menus. However at the point of attempting to disable restrictions by following the various other methods for other Honda vehicles I get the SoC error. Is anyone here a Honda tech or familiar with Android devices that could shed some light on how to disable restrictions to gain access to the wed browser?

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
I'm not a Honda Tech... but wanted to add a couple notes:
- There's an option to get temporary access (for a fee) to the guides Honda Technicians use. @INSIGHT_OUTTASIGHT mentions doing so in separate thread, and may be able to provide the specific link for login/access.
- @el3ment previously posted screenshot pictures (with annotations below some pictures) which may be helpful reference. The final solution to activate the web browser wasn't found in that thread, but thought it might be inspiration/help to others who are re-trying now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2020 Insight - internet browser setup

Hey all,

I've seen there's a few hacks out there for getting the internet browser on the infotainment system since it's an android based system. Supposedly for the newer generation vehicles you just need to press the - Audio+night/day+home buttons and it enables the debug screen...however when I do that it only recognizes the home and night/day button and it's the function buttons to turn off the infotainment screen...
If this is a true android type tablet I'm familiar with the home and up or down arrow buttons to get to the developer functions..
Has anyone had the ability to get to the web browser on their vehicle? I've seen some YouTube videos of how to do it and they don't work for me on my version of the infotainment system. Wondering if someone has figured it out. I've tried when the car is parked and is on obviously and connected to wifi through my phones Hotspot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok figured it out but browser is available...at least from what I can find so far..

It takes holding the home button + left arrow button and the audio button for 5 seconds. That'll get you into diagnostics. Once your there hold home for 5 seconds and it'll beep. It'll give you all the additional options and browser isn't one of them under the menu item like "additional services"...

I have developer mode enabled in Android and it shows browser is active under inactive applications but when you tap it nothing happens. It's obviously not a running service so Im not sure how to get to it yet..

·
Super Moderator
4,093 Posts
Ok figured it out but browser is available...at least from what I can find so far..

It takes holding the home button + left arrow button and the audio button for 5 seconds. That'll get you into diagnostics. Once your there hold home for 5 seconds and it'll beep. It'll give you all the additional options and browser isn't one of them under the menu item like "additional services"...

I have developer mode enabled in Android and it shows browser is active under inactive applications but when you tap it nothing happens. It's obviously not a running service so Im not sure how to get to it yet..
Added your question to open thread on web browser on the infotainment system. Similar to what you found, no currently known solutions to add browser to screen as of yet.

We also have a separate thread going for the service menu, which includes a few observations and snapshots. - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/290-2019-honda-insight-user-interface/422-look-what-i-discovered-service-menu.html

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts

Honda knows the previous generation infotainment software can be exploited through the web browser. So it's likely Honda blocked any access to the web browser to mitigate exploits on our newer infotainment system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts