Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I have recently gotten myself a Honda Insight, it’s at 15k miles now, and recently I noticed that it has a weird lurch when I go into drive from park on my driveway, and occasionally when I’m going accelerating from a stop downhill? Did I somehow mess up my transmission? I’m a bit anxious

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Hi there! I have recently gotten myself a Honda Insight, it’s at 15k miles now, and recently I noticed that it has a weird lurch when I go into drive from park on my driveway, and occasionally when I’m going accelerating from a stop downhill? Did I somehow mess up my transmission? I’m a bit anxious
Initial thoughts/questions: is your driveway on an incline? do you engage the parking brake (manually or automatically)? Technically Hill Start Assist should prevent the car from rolling backward on an incline (in Drive), or rolling forward in a decline (in Reverse). These hill transitions have been very smooth for me so far.

This car has an "eCVT" (different from CVT) rather than a regular transmission. The eCVT "transmission" operates by the interaction of two electric motors plus a clutch. There isn't a straightforward way to check the transmission fluid level but it would only be concerning if you saw a puddle or leak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initial thoughts/questions: is your driveway on an incline? do you engage the parking brake (manually or automatically)? Technically Hill Start Assist should prevent the car from rolling backward on an incline (in Drive), or rolling forward in a decline (in Reverse). These hill transitions have been very smooth for me so far.

This car has an "eCVT" (different from CVT) rather than a regular transmission. The eCVT "transmission" operates by the interaction of two electric motors plus a clutch. There isn't a straightforward way to check the transmission fluid level but it would only be concerning if you saw a puddle or leak.
Hi there! I’m pretty sure I have the parking break engage automatically, it’s just I don’t remember it doing that last time I parking on that hill. It’s not too steep either. I just had the car do a bit of a launch sensation when I shifted into drive, and it rolled back maybe an inch tops. I guess that’s normal. I just wanted to make sure that it was fine. It’s not too rough but my car kinda just launches forward.
How do I make sure I’m not abusing the ecvt?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,751 Posts
The automatic parking brake (if configured) only happens at power-off.

As for not hurting the eCVT, just be sure to come to a complete stop between gear selection changes. Short of that, there's not much else to do. FWIW, the Insight is pretty good at protecting itself from bone-headed moves like shifting to drive when rolling backwards, selecting park while you're still moving, etc. - it's pretty hard to make a mistake without the car protecting itself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2019 EX with a little less than 15K miles and sometimes when shifting from Park to Drive, on a level parking lot, I feel a little "lurch" like something mechanical just engaged or maybe a power spike to the motors. Most of the time, however, I will shift into Drive and I won't feel anything at all. I am not sure why it happens sometimes but it has been happening since new :unsure: I don't usually park or stop on steep hills, but when I do, I haven't yet noticed the car rolling backwards, not even an inch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The automatic parking brake (if configured) only happens at power-off.

As for not hurting the eCVT, just be sure to come to a complete stop between gear selection changes. Short of that, there's not much else to do. FWIW, the Insight is pretty good at protecting itself from bone-headed moves like shifting to drive when rolling backwards, selecting park while you're still moving, etc. - it's pretty hard to make a mistake without the car protecting itself.
When you say gear selection changes, you mean like shifting from Econ to sports for instance?

·
Registered
407 Posts
He means shifting from Park, Reverse, or Drive. Upon switching to one of those give it a second before letting go of the brake pedal.
YES !!!!
With the lightest of a tap on the brake pedal I can shift all day through Park, Reverse, or Drive without any lurch or movement of the car. When I shift without that gentle tap, there is always a little lurch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.