Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

What are the major downsides to getting an aftermarket sunroof installed on LX?

10K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Silicecola 
#1 ·
So I’m renting a car with a sunroof now and absolutely enjoying it. Here in socal, I can leave it open most of the time now. I’ve always liked the Touring but didn’t like the fact you can’t change out head unit and since I already have my sound system complete , I was thinking about adding an aftermarket sunroof.

I found 2 really good local installers and their price ranges from $1600 to $2000 installed out the door.

I plan on driving the Insight until it dies on me.

I don’t think installing one will adversely affect the structural integrity of the roof.

What does everyone think?

this is what I will be getting:

#2 ·
This is just my opinion, however it is based on my years of auto body experience. Any time sheet metal is removed there will be some small amount of structural integrity sacrificed. Installing the sunroof and framework will offset some of that loss. As to just how much, I can't say. Also, the major problem I dealt with quite a bit was customers coming to my shop with water leak issues. There are two main issues to consider: first the longer the gaskets and weatherstrips are exposed to heat, cold and UV rays, there will be dry-rotting to consider. This causes water leaks. The other water leak issues come from lots of dirt, debris, and pollen buildup that clogs the drain tubes. Other than that, it boils down to how bad you want a sunroof and how diligent you are toward keeping everything cleaned out!

#3 ·
I’ll probably have to change out the exposed rubber parts every now and then but I’m thinking there might be something I can apply to it to prolong its life. I’ll have to check and see how much that will cost to replace.

I don’t mind maintaining it, it will just be like maintaining the rest of the car itself, which I don’t mind doing.

all good points I’ll have to look into more.

#4 ·
Well looks like most of the actual car side of things has been covered. Only thing I will add is aftermarket options are pretty good at bypassing the vehicle's built in systems to find new, exciting ways to drain your battery when the vehicle is not being used.

On the not car side, it makes it really easy for your car to be broken in to. Also, apparently sunroof theft is a thing.

#5 ·
Sunroofs are already a liability in terms of repairs and issues even when they come equipped straight out of the factor. Putting in an aftermarket one after the fact takes that to an additional degree. I would never even consider it. It will have problems, it isn't an "if" matter but "when"

#8 · (Edited)
Good question.. I’m not sure but will look into it..

I got this Honda grease for the window seals, after seeing a strong recommendation from other owners:

Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 08798-9013 Silicone Grease : Automotive

It's also recommended for sunroofs.
yeah I picked some of this stuff up a long time ago when I had an s2000 for the hardtop..

Sunroofs are already a liability in terms of repairs and issues even when they come equipped straight out of the factor. Putting in an aftermarket one after the fact takes that to an additional degree. I would never even consider it. It will have problems, it isn't an "if" matter but "when"
I wonder if any Touring people are having issues with their sunroofs at all.. anybody?

On the not car side, it makes it really easy for your car to be broken in to. Also, apparently sunroof theft is a thing.
strange.. with the size sunroof I’m getting , you would have to be a very small person to fit inside.

#9 ·
My main issue is that the sunroof is a bird poo magnet. I rarely have it open because of the noise but occasionally try it just to see if I am missing anything. That will last for a few minutes before I button it up once again. However, if there are any bird droppings on the car roof, at a minimum one blob will be on the top surface of the sun roof. If I ever left it open while parked that blob would be on one of the seats.

#10 ·
yeah its been in the 60s-70s (temperature wise) here and ive been leaving the sunroof open for hours and even when parked after say going to a restaurant and not a single drop of bird poo in car or on my head lol.. i just love looking up at the sky every now and then and none of the Uber passengers ive had have complained.. i think i can stand the noise because i enjoy the overhead air and plus i used to have a convertible.

#12 ·
Wait, these are actually still available?? Last I looked into it was 2017 and it would have cost $1200 on my Fiat 500X. I would ask the shop about it but I just read in another forum that Webasto had closed its aftermarket sunroof factory because they only planned to offer OEM systems in the future. A guy had one installed on his Mitsubishi Mirage back in Jan of 2021 and said even finding the last available units was becoming difficult and that future parts may be an issue. I would definitely discuss this with the shop. Let me know what they say.

#14 ·
Adding any aftermarket parts typically does not cause you to run the risk of having insurance canceled if you are in an accident. I believe most insurance companies, nowadays, have add-ons to the main policy for aftermarket stereo systems, so its best to let your insurance company know about this if you want coverage, in case of theft/vandalism or contributing to the actual cash value in case a vehicle is considered totaled. Also, its best to keep receipts for such items and/or boxes they came in to prove what you had if stolen. If you can't prove what you had, the insurance company is only obligated to pay for like kind and quality (used) OEM.

#17 ·
I just spoke with one of the installers and he said there is a company here in USA named Signature that makes comparable aftermarket sunroofs to Webasto. I might go with that one if I research the company and they are good.

He was talking about ASC and said in some instances he had to gut out the whole sunroof and replace it with another one since they no longer support anything.

#18 ·
After thought and some research on Signature, I’m going to move ahead with getting a Signature sunroof installed.. can’t wait .. it’s a 2 day turnaround and one of the things that influenced me is having that rental for a few weeks with a sunroof and walking into a Honda showroom recently and seeing a new Civic Si with a sunroof and playing around with it.. that car was beautiful and I just feel I’m missing something without a sunroof..

#20 ·
#25 ·
Well it’s been about a year with my Signature aftermarket sunroof and I have had zero issues. No mechanical issues , no leaks (even after all the rain we got in socal recently), and no one trying to steal it . I just hope it holds up for a few more years before I change cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.