Gen 3 Insight Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX, 2021 PWP Insight EX
1,771 Posts
As I did with my 2019 Insight, I just sourced a Gen X Civic spare, tools and holder from a local wrecking yard for my 2021 today. Total cost was $150. Guy said he's sold a few lately. I explained what I needed it for. He said that explains things. Spare tires aren't a regular seller at wrecking yards. I'm picking the kit up on Wednesday.

·
Registered
2020 Insight EX Crimson Pearl
149 Posts
I put my black door handles on...

I like how the handles look, but I'm still not diggin' my error on the placement of the side-trims. I think when it gets warmer I'm going rip them off and when I've saved up some more I'll re-purchase and do it correctly...or have the dealer do it.

·
Premium Member
2021 Honda insight touring, White, born June 2020
23 Posts
The spare temporary wheel kit arrived. I took the wheel to Mavis discount tire and was told no one will sell me or mount a tire on it. Claims they are one time use (the wheel). I left silently but very angry. They will not get anymore of my business. Will call around tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
The spare temporary wheel kit arrived. I took the wheel to Mavis discount tire and was told no one will sell me or mount a tire on it. Claims they are one time use (the wheel). I left silently but very angry. They will not get anymore of my business. Will call around tomorrow.
Not sure of the backstory here. Did you buy the wheel from Honda? Why didn't they sell you the tire as well?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Majestic Honda of Rhode Island had the kit minus the tire for $212 shipped. It is the 17 inch wheel, so with a 135/80r17 tire it has a diameter of 25.5 inches matching the stock wheels. The more I thought about not having a spare, the more worried I got, so I jumped at getting what I feel is the correct sized spare. Tirerack is sending the tire to a local garage, should arrive Thursday. (Online buying is just to easy)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
3,205 Posts
@hasarad How difficult is the interior bulb swap? I'm wanting to do that this spring
The interior bulbs are really easy to swap(pretty much slide old bulb out and slide new one in) once you figure out where to pry the covers off. I used sylvania led bulbs(168/194) for my Insight.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
Majestic Honda of Rhode Island had the kit minus the tire for $212 shipped. It is the 17 inch wheel, so with a 135/80r17 tire it has a diameter of 25.5 inches matching the stock wheels. The more I thought about not having a spare, the more worried I got, so I jumped at getting what I feel is the correct sized spare. Tirerack is sending the tire to a local garage, should arrive Thursday. (Online buying is just to easy)
The matching OD of the spare to the stock wheels is a bonus. Most donut spares are smaller in diameter. This causes two issues:

1. The Insight will throw a tire pressure warning due to the passive monitoring or rotational speeds between wheels (no direct TPMS monitors at each wheel).
2. The smaller donut must be fitted only to a rear location as mismatched tire circumferences up front can damage the eCVT. You'd need to play musical tires in the event of a front flat.

I'm curious to know how well your new setup fits in the well in the trunk. The compact Civic setup ($150 at local wrecking yard) fits perfectly, and the trunk floor is perfectly flat with foam and tools.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I am hopeful, I suppose we will know Friday or Saturday.
For your dash camera where are you mounting the 12v to USB interface?

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
For your dash camera where are you mounting the 12v to USB interface?
Behind the 12V battery near the firewall. I'm doing it on my 2021 this weekend. I'll try to remember to take pics.

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put my black door handles on...

View attachment 6582

I like how the handles look, but I'm still not diggin' my error on the placement of the side-trims. I think when it gets warmer I'm going rip them off and when I've saved up some more I'll re-purchase and do it correctly...or have the dealer do it.
Did you wrap these or our they 10th Gen Civic handles?

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
More along the lines of 'nominal' accessories - did you transfer the bamboo charcoal bags and neck pillow to your new 2021, or have they been bequeathed to your son's 2019?
Good question! The charcoal bags stayed in the 2019 Insight I gave to my son. The neck pillow moved to the new car, but I only really use it while reclined and watching movies on Plex while waiting for my daughter's dance class to end a couple times a week.

Today, I fabricated a bracket in which to install the USB socket behind the battery within the center console to power my webcam. I'll finish the wiring over the weekend and will post photos then.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
More spare tire frustration. I ordered from hondaautomotiveparts.com (Majestic Honda in RI) Part Number: 06421-TXM-A11 Part Name: "Wheel, Temporary 17" Kit" so I walk into the shop and he is suspicious that the tire and wheel are incompatable. Damm he was right the wheel is a 16-inch wheel, not the 17 inches I ordered. So I went home and called, first they said that is what you ordered then the story changed to that is what Honda sells. I pointed out that the name specifies 17 inch. Bottom line they claim no such thing as a 17 inch wheel to put a spare tire on (think thinner wheel to match the thinner tire. They are sending me a return UPS shipping label but I am keeping it because the foam + jack and tools would cost almost as much as I would get back in credit (not a refund) and if they can not sell me the right wheel why would I want a credit anyway.
Anyone wants a 16-inch temp wheel I have one cheap. Now can anyone figure out where I might find the correct 17 x 4 wheel with a +45 MM offset and a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern? (side note some web sights claim the insight only has 4 lug nuts per wheel so I went out and counted there are 5.)

·
Super Moderator
1,771 Posts
I picked up the Civic spare setup today. It fits as well as the one in my 2019. This time I bought a coupe spare setup. I was worried the foam wouldn't fit, but it turns out it fits just as well, and the trunk floor lays flat. Total cost was $150.

I also ran power to a socket hidden behind the center console to my dashcam. I used a fuse tap in location #1 (ACC). Tomorrow I'll run the USB cable up the passenger A pillar behind the airbag to finish things off.

I think I'm just about done making my 2021 Insight match my 2019 Insight in terms of modifications and creature comforts.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts