Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is my dilemma. I don't buy new cars either but all 3 of the cars I like are new models - Insight (2 months), Accord Hybrid (5 months), and Clarity PHEV (9 months). I bought my current 2003 Acura CL-S, at a year old (7.5k miles) and saved 30% over a new one; and it is still going strong 15 years later.

I'd like my cost to be under $25k so it's a waiting game unless I raise my budget. I think the new Accord is an amazing design but the higher Hybrid trims would really stretch my budget. I'll have to do some ciphering, with the gas, oil, and maybe insurance savings, no/low repairs for transmission and brakes, there may be some built-in savings.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't buy new cars either but all 3 of the cars I like are new models
When I was young I never bought new cars either. Seems crazy to buy a new car, when a 2 year used car can be 30% off.
Researching my first Honda Civic I was reading a long term 2 year review of a Civic vs Dodge Neon
When they sold the review models, the Neon had depreciated by 50%, while the Civic had depreciated by 15%.
There in lies the logic, used Hondas keep their value, so there is little savings to be gained.
Unless you find a really good deal, why risk buying used?

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I was young I never bought new cars either. Seems crazy to buy a new car, when a 2 year used car can be 30% off.
Researching my first Honda Civic I was reading a long term 2 year review of a Civic vs Dodge Neon
When they sold the review models, the Neon had depreciated by 50%, while the Civic had depreciated by 15%.
There in lies the logic, used Hondas keep their value, so there is little savings to be gained.
Unless you find a really good deal, why risk buying used?
Agree, pretty much how I feel. My Jeep was same scenario. Resale of used Wranglers are ridiculous. I bought mine new cheaper than some used.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ddemetra, I hear you. One unique example may be used Claritys. Savvy buyers got $5-10k off with govt energy discounts so used Clarity dealer prices I see are a laugh. Will be interesting to see how private sales of Claritys go. I guess I could live with new cost of an EX Insight, I'd have to give up on the Touring price. NOt sure if discounts will be heavy on these, not many buy sedans anymore or Hybrids (yet) so we'll see.
Rhino, enjoying your posts too, happy shopping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ddemetra, I hear you. One unique example may be used Claritys. Savvy buyers got $5-10k off with govt energy discounts so used Clarity dealer prices I see are a laugh. Will be interesting to see how private sales of Claritys go. I guess I could live with new cost of an EX Insight, I'd have to give up on the Touring price. NOt sure if discounts will be heavy on these, not many buy sedans anymore or Hybrids (yet) so we'll see.
Rhino, enjoying your posts too, happy shopping.
Thank you, hoping this site gets a little more Insight, I’ve been spoiled on the Wrangler forum.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
I didn't trade in my oldest car (2009 Honda Civic) but sold it to Car Max after buying the Insight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2007 Honda Fit Sport

I traded in my 07 Fit sport with 165000. Great car that got about 32 mpg on average. Received 2000 for it. Not bad. Love my new 2019 Insight EX in crimson red. :smile:

·
Registered
39 Posts
2007 Prius which was totaled by a reckless driver. I loved that car. It was rock solid with virtually no issues after 200k miles. The newer 2019 Prius versions do not have Apple Car Play. This Insight was a little less, and has all the bells/whistles I was after.

·
Registered
155 Posts
2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Had 195,000 miles on it but was a very reliable and fun to drive car. The only think I miss on it is the AWD which the Insight doesn't have. Carmax wanted $700 for it, so I sold it to a friend who needed it for his wife for $750. Figured it was due for a lot of scheduled maintenance so it was a good time to upgrade to a new car. Love my Insight. No regrets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Traded in my 2015 Civic Hybrid, really didn't enjoy it as much as I did with my 2010 Insight. Went back to the Insight and love my drive once again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I traded in my 2015 honda civic se. Really hated that car cause it was so boring to drive.. just a boring car.. blah.. my MPG was around 37 lifetime
If i try to drive that car like a 2010 insight I was able to get around 39mpg .

When I first bought the 2015 honda civic se i was able to get around 42mpg but that slowly went down probably due to my driving habits changing in a normal car

·
Registered
123 Posts
1997 Volvo S90 with only 124k was totaled by some gal who drove straight out of her driveway into traffic. Insurance totaled the car and paid out $2,920.21 for it. A year earlier some old guy dozed off and grazed the drivers door and fender with his front tire. His tire was the only part of his car that made contact, but still left a couple of small creases and tire marks. Insurance paid me $2,188.47 for that incident. I buffed out the rubber marks and pocketed the $$$. Combined I got $5,108.68 for the two incidents and applied it to the Insight. As much as I loved the Volvo, I could't be happier with the Insight!

·
Registered
836 Posts
2005 Chevy Colorado with 285k miles. Between gas and maintenance, the truck was getting to a point of non-practicality.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2013 Honda Pilot EX with 100, 904 miles. I loved the Pilot and had no plan to buy a new car, but the Insight ended up in my garage the same day I saw her. I hope she’s as good to me as the Pilot was.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts