Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I miss having a keyboard on the drivers door to lock and unlock the car. This was useful when I went on an activity and wanted to leave the keys in the car because I didn’t space for them (scuba diving for example)

Does anyone have a good lockbox or is there another awesome insight trick that I haven’t learned? I looked at other threads and didn’t find anything. thanks!

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Just curious, but what car(s) did you previously own with keypad? I don't know of Hondas that have them, so assume you owned a different manufacturer?

Here are a couple thoughts from a non-scuba diver ;):
  • There's a physical key at the base of the fob that you could remove and keep with you while underwater. It's a little bit bulky, but would give a way to re-enter the car without the electronic fob. You'd want to store the fob body elsewhere outside the car (locker?) for later use to power the car on - plus the car won't let you lock the fob in trunk - but it at least gives flexibility in underwater conditions.
  • There are aftermarket keypads that are sold, and might be effective with professional installation to ensure it doesn't interfere with existing electronics. I can't vouch for any, but it looks like a possible option/addition. - Amazon.com: Accele RS505 Numeric Touchpad Keyless Entry System

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX
2,963 Posts
There's a physical key at the base of the fob that you could remove and keep with you while underwater. It's a little bit bulky, but would give a way to re-enter the car without the electronic fob. You'd want to store the fob body elsewhere outside the car (locker?) for later use to power the car on - plus the car won't let you lock the fob in trunk - but it at least gives flexibility in underwater conditions.
He could take the key out of the keyfob, stash the keyfob in a rfid blocking bag which can be placed inside the car, and lock the car with the key.

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
He could take the key out of the keyfob, stash the keyfob in a rfid blocking bag which can be placed inside the car, and lock the car with the key.
@Honda2019 suggested same faraday cage, which seems highly rated. It also looks like the same item is sold individually online ($10 ea) for less than Costco ($14 ea) - https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Darkness-Automobile-Enforcement-Anti-Hacking/dp/B01H1C21O2/

However, I think of faraday cages as reducing the signal so it can't be picked up by "relay hack" a distance away from the car. At close distances, the fob/signal still works. And maybe I'm too old school, but leaving a key in the car seems like an invitation for theft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. Just curious, but what car(s) did you previously own with keypad? I don't know of Hondas that have them, so assume you owned a different manufacturer?

Here are a couple thoughts from a non-scuba diver ;):
  • There's a physical key at the base of the fob that you could remove and keep with you while underwater. It's a little bit bulky, but would give a way to re-enter the car without the electronic fob. You'd want to store the fob body elsewhere outside the car (locker?) for later use to power the car on - plus the car won't let you lock the fob in trunk - but it at least gives flexibility in underwater conditions.
  • There are aftermarket keypads that are sold, and might be effective with professional installation to ensure it doesn't interfere with existing electronics. I can't vouch for any, but it looks like a possible option/addition. - Amazon.com: Accele RS505 Numeric Touchpad Keyless Entry System
Thanks all for the answers! The car I’m referring to is my girlfriends Lincoln MKX.
I’m interested in hearing if anyone has added an aftermarket keypad yet. Do you think that would void any warranties? Would it greatly increase the depreciation of the car?

·
Administrator
4,838 Posts
I’m interested in hearing if anyone has added an aftermarket keypad yet. Do you think that would void any warranties? Would it greatly increase the depreciation of the car?
Haven't seen mention of this type of market keypad being added to Insight so far. I've been happy with the smart key system so personally hadn't thought about it until you inquired about options/possibilities.

The option above that I posted would look a bit "unsightly" on the Insight's smooth exterior. There's another option I just found which is mounted on a touch-sensitive pad that adheres to the windshield instead and would be less intrusive. It's sold in Korea, but reports/reviews on it in the US are limited. (The links below are for same "KeyFree" product.)

I don't think it would void warranty since it's removable (unplug), especially if window-mounted rather than door-mounted. There is a bit of "electrical" risk, as we've seen in other threads that small changes to electrical can cause unexpected issues with the Insight. But this would be where professional installation might help manage/prevent issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This BOYO product looks like exactly what I would want. I don't have a "certified installer" in the area, but I will be close to one in a couple of months. I think I will wait and buy it then. Thanks for all the help @insightfully & @andrew28

1 - 7 of 7 Posts