Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an interesting video of the Japanese Insight, with sound-monitoring/recording devices placed under the hood.

The video runs through different drive modes and their corresponding under-hood engine sounds. These recordings were done with relatively low (3 bar) HV battery charge, so represents the "noisier" side of the engine... yet didn't sound that unpleasant or loud in the recordings. Haven't seen anything like this done on the US Insight yet, so wanted to share.

(P.S. - wish the US version had the clock on dashboard that the Japanese version has!!)

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember watching this a few months ago. Pretty wild sounds under there.
Did it strike you as "quieter than expected" as well? Given how much we talk about the engine laboring when below 3 bars of HV battery, I was surprised that the under-engine sound was "less intense" than it sounds/feels while in the cabin...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Did it strike you as "quieter than expected" as well? Given how much we talk about the engine laboring when below 3 bars of HV battery, I was surprised that the under-engine sound was "less intense" than it sounds/feels while in the cabin...
I had a 2015 Honda Civic SE.. That engine vibrated and made MUCH more noise than this car ever has. I think that people get used to how quiet it is and get way too offended when they are reminded that we still basically have an ICE car.. It's a hybrid, but there still this little beautifully engineered engine doing it's best to get us where we need to go.. I don't mind it - it's lightyears ahead of the 74 Plymouth Duster I started out with when I was 16 lmao..

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
I actually love that electric motor sound especially when it's beginning to accelerate and decelerate in that video. :grin:

Reminds me of the red line trains here in Boston when pulling into and out of the station.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts