Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
As for the radio volume, wow, you guys don’t jam to music do you? Lol. My volume is between 12-23. Past 14, the brake warning beep isn’t even audible. My mom’s Sonata is obnoxiously loud but it gets your attention and that’s the point of the feature. I did try to raise the system volume but the beeps from the radio buttons was piercing so I lowered it back down.
Maybe the suggestion from Mr. Natural on "alarm volume" might be worth trying next. It looks like it's different from "system volume" in that it's a separate volume level for alerts, and shouldn't affect the overall volume from other system features/buttons.

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
9. Love the open window feature with the key fob. Begs the question, why can’t they be closed when you lock it with the fob? You know, for those times when you left a window open by accident.

I have no comment on this because i didn't even know the keyfob can do this lol.
See first attachment plus video link for info on the "roll down window" function by using key fob. To roll up the windows, you can start the car with push button as gremal suggested, OR remove/use the physical key to adjust window position as shown in second attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Maybe the suggestion from Mr. Natural on "alarm volume" might be worth trying next. It looks like it's different from "system volume" in that it's a separate volume level for alerts, and shouldn't affect the overall volume from other system features/buttons.
I did not see this adjustment so thanks to you and Mr Natural for pointing it out. I turned it from "mid" to "high". The turn signal does seem a bit louder but I haven't been able to get the brake warning to kick in yet to see if its any louder.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Major change I would make....The ability to see the tire pressure!! I had no idea this car lacked that feature until I read elsewhere in this forum. Extremely disappointed in this. Even my 2013 Fiat shows you individual pressure readings on each tire. As someone who got 6 tire punctures in less then a year, it was VERY important to check the tire pressure often. Even more so on this car since there is no spare!

Reactions: ScottyWM

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
I have to ask....why do you like entering a dark car? My dad has this same distaste for interior lights and I just don’t get it. He infuriates my mom when he shuts off her interior lights. He’s an odd bird though and I think in his mind its using too much battery power which is insane. I work at night, so I personally like a bright interior. All my previous cars that had map lights allowed you to turn them on with the door.

As for the radio volume, wow, you guys don’t jam to music do you? Lol. My volume is between 12-23. Past 14, the brake warning beep isn’t even audible. My mom’s Sonata is obnoxiously loud but it gets your attention and that’s the point of the feature. I did try to raise the system volume but the beeps from the radio buttons was piercing so I lowered it back down.

In regards to the trunk, I’d be happy if the trunk popped up even halfway remotely, like most cars do. This trunk doesn’t pop at all, and that’s my main complaint with it.
I can get in the car fine without having them on. I know where my seat is, push start button glows, and the rest lights up when the car is started. If I need the lights, I just push the map lights.

I blasted music in my civic and it started rattling so I'm kind of being cautious about doing it again. Also I scraped my Insight without realizing when or where it happened a few months ago. So I sort of need to be more focused about my driving instead of jamming to my music. :sad:

See first attachment plus video link for info on the "roll down window" function by using key fob. To roll up the windows, you can start the car with push button as gremal suggested, OR remove/use the physical key to adjust window position as shown in second attachment.
This will come in handy during the summer when I need to air the car out before getting in, thanks! Definitely need to find time to read that owners manual, too.

Major change I would make....The ability to see the tire pressure!! I had no idea this car lacked that feature until I read elsewhere in this forum. Extremely disappointed in this. Even my 2013 Fiat shows you individual pressure readings on each tire. As someone who got 6 tire punctures in less then a year, it was VERY important to check the tire pressure often. Even more so on this car since there is no spare!
I loved this feature on my Ford Fusion. The Insight won't be able to do this because it doesn't have a tire pressure sensor in each tire. It uses an indirect TPMS which measures rotations of the tire instead.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes, the car has remote pressure sensors, correct? Oh no, it does not! Look at page 472 of the big fat Owner's Manual. The description of TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) tells us that basically it's using some smart (complex) algorithm to determine when one or more tires may be under-inflated. Clever, yet infuriating. There's no way to actually read the pressure of each tire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I dont understand this belly aching about LED dome lights and soft open glove boxes. Its like standing in the check out line in Harbor Freight and complaining about manufacturing jobs moving offshore. I would love to see more vehicles that offer reliable economy, great handling, and an endearing lack of creature comforts. An EX without Honda Sensing for a G less would have been darn near perfect for my purposes. I came really close to getting a base Jetta with a row-your-own gearbox.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I dont understand this belly aching about LED dome lights and soft open glove boxes. Its like standing in the check out line in Harbor Freight and complaining about manufacturing jobs moving offshore. I would love to see more vehicles that offer reliable economy, great handling, and an endearing lack of creature comforts. An EX without Honda Sensing for a G less would have been darn near perfect for my purposes. I came really close to getting a base Jetta with a row-your-own gearbox.
People can see it as belly aching, I see it more as wish lists. Most of us, me for sure, bitch about this stuff because we love the car and like to point out how a solid 8 to 9 could become a solid 10. I've criticized this car endlessly in my videos but it doesn't take away my appreciation for what the car offers. This stuff is also good for the manufacturer to see since it gives s general idea of a wish list for future model refreshes. Just my 2 minimal cents on this. I don't mean to sound chastising towards you.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Because last I checked, Honda is not a cut rate bargain basement car company and charges somewhat of a premium for the Honda name. Stuff like those 2 items just scream CHEAP and not what I expect of a car costing over 25k. Honda was known for sweating the details and these are things that should not have been overlooked. Heck, my 2000 Hyundai Accent base hatchback had a soft opening glovebox. It imparted a slight sense of quality on what was a cheap no frills car. A spring or tiny shock would cost them nothing to incorporate. It’s a blatant easily felt cost cutting measure. I’d like Honda to know it’s noticed.

As for the LED interior light, I work at night and keep a manual log of my miles, so I would enjoy a bright LED light for my purposes. I had switched my previous car to all LED interior bulbs but the problem with that is they flicker slightly when the car wasn’t designed for it to begin with. Most new cars come with LED interior lights so the Insight being an all new model should have had them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Things I wish were different on Insight

There is a small visual reference to the beeps. The window shows a picture with your car and it shows which sensor is beeping and it fills in small bars in front of the sensor that is beeping. As the bars fill up the beeping gets faster until the bars are all full and its a constant tone. At that point you're very close. There is a section in the forums about accessories and I had loaded pictures of the sensors in action if you want to look at them. I think they're worth the money for the install. About a grand installed.
There's a big discussion about adding the extra sensors and the mess that can be made to bumper when they are installed. It's a tedious process and something dealer needs to do so if they damage the bumper they would be replacing mine. I saw some pics showing what you really see when using the parking sensors and it's worthless other that warning you how close you're getting to curb or other vehicle.

I just got my Insight last month and realizing how much better the Honda Sensing is on our 2017 Honda Ridgeline. We got the RTL-E and have audible & visual blind spot monitors on both side of truck ( no blind side camera) and rear cross traffic radar which is great. All of the sensors and radar gadgets are properly done so that you really know what's going on around you. I think the blind side camera is a waste of money and have gotten so used to the little led symbols that light up on the inside of the front posts when audible starts that I really miss them. I can't tell you how many almost accidents we avoided in retail parking lots when backing out of a spot and someone was cruising down the lane and paying no attention. The only audible I have found on the Insight is the one that will go off if you cross over lines and don't correct.

Also, the volume on the radio on the Ridgeline decreases in volume when phone rings or you make a call and both hubby and I can have both phones actively linked by bluetooth on the Ridgeline. i haven't put enough highway miles on yet to have recognized the issues with bluetooth and radio volume when phone calls come in since I don't usually use my phone in city traffic.

Other than these items, I love the way the car drives much better than any Prius that I rented on business trips and actually prefer the feel the insight has better than the Accord Hybrid we drove. So far happy with mileage but still trying to figure out the most effective way to get the battery fully charged. Read a lot on one of the mpg forums and better understanding what I think I need to do. So far, our's hasn't gone above 6 bars in mostly city driving.

·
Registered
137 Posts
4. The loud revs when going up a steep hill. A tach would be nice. I sometimes briefly switch to sport mode if I am going up a long hill.
A tach would be pointless on a hybrid car. The tach will just flip from 0 to Revs and back and every time the engine fires and shuts off which is fairly often and would be diatracting. The powerflow display in essence shows this activity.

Also there are times where the ICE is charging the battery while the car is driven off pure electric. One could see the engine speed but I think there would be little value as this is not directly indicative of how much power is on tap. i.e., with the enginenat full rev, if the battery is discharged, the available power is very different if the battery is fully charged.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
A tach would be pointless on a hybrid car. The tach will just flip from 0 to Revs and back and every time the engine fires and shuts off which is fairly often and would be diatracting. The powerflow display in essence shows this activity.
I think you're right regarding use of a tach on the Insight. Coming from older Honda, I missed seeing it and considered using OBDII to monitor, but have grown accustomed (and less distracted?) without. These helpful videos from @Honda2019 show what could be seen on tachometer, using OBDII if desired.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Reactions: safedad

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also,
I think there may be a hack one day to enable maximum regenerative braking all the time. Maybe I should look into it :) ( of course I should wait until warranty expires to do such a thing if possible )..I was giving it some thought as to why Honda did this (adding paddles) given different driving conditions and it made sense.. but I wish they would’ve gave us the option to turn off/on (permanent and controlled regenerative braking power)..

Perhaps a future model will have it and us 2019/20 owners can retrofit it into our cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
With you on most of these. Have a dark grey touring and love the body style,interior, and mpg (although I average 44mpg with my aggressive driving habits).

Very much dislike the engine drone. Also the lack of lumbar support on front seats is an issue for me and my sore back.

Other than those and a few other minor issues I can’t complain too much and would still consider purchase of the insight over other hybrids- mostly based on style points, ride, and value.

MOST LIKED:

1) Looks are well above and beyond Civic and Accord (to me). Fantastic tail end design, while front end is bold, kinda menacing in a way and yet similar to Accord.
2) MPG - three fuel ups since I bought the car and am averaging around 60 mpg with conservative driving and 90%+ ECO button use.
3) Overall interior design/ ergonomics/ space.
4) Has a gas cap (see my other posting about problem with 2016-2017 Honda Civic capless gas).

5) Transmission control/ operation was easy to get used to after decades of the traditional automatic transmission stick.
6) Sport mode has allowed me to enjoy solid acceleration on highway entrance ramps and coming out of toll booth lanes.
7) On local/ suburban roads with low mph and little need for acceleration, car is very quiet.
8) Ride quality is solid.
9) OEM tires are better than stock tires for most compact vehicles even if they aren't great for cornering and (Michelin Energy Saver) are rumored to be very bad in the snow.
10) LED headlights and taillights (for the most part).
11) Auto lock car by touching drivers door handle in that particular space. Less enthused about auto-open via smart entry...
12) Love the acoustic harmonic music that resonates when starting and accelerating in vehicle (used to warn pedestrians about an otherwise quiet vehicle).

LEAST LIKED:

1) Rear visibility seems considerably inferior to Accord and Subaru Impreza (the latter of which I drove for past six years). I know it is similar to Civic but looks cramped/ tight.
2) Front seat comfort in my EX version was not good on test drive. Special ordered/ purchased high-end ergonomic wedge cushions (seat and back) to completely compensate for uncomfortable seating. Seating is now good purely on that basis. Front passenger seat height is inexplicably low.

3) Occasional and brief weird noises/ sputtering of engine that is quirky. On a related note, sport mode noise racket is ridiculous. Love the acceleration but hate the noise.

4) Periodically, strange timing when Insight chooses to regenerate energy. I may be going 30 mpg but then I will lose EV status and blue bar will go down (losing mpg) and car may regenerate all the way up until 7-8 bars???

5) Why can't the Insight have cupholders - like the Accord - that have the flexible ends (which are more stable and allow for many more cup size differences)? Nonetheless, I particularly do like the one huge cupholder inside armrest.
6) Why can't I have the Prius option of regen paddles that permanently allow me to set brake regen levels - rather than temporary? Given a choice, I would definitely use maximum regen most often. I don't like the idea that I have to hit the paddles many times during each/ multiple drives in order to save cumulative bits of energy at a time.

7) Car did not come with spare tire and it is a bit of an ordeal and needless expense to have to custom order spare tire with related accessories.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I really miss a rear window wiper. Most of my previous vehicles had this feature and I used it whenever the weather was bad. I don't know what things will be like when I start seeing snow in my area, but past experience tells me that my rear view mirror is not going to be too useful when that white stuff starts coming down.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
I really miss a rear window wiper. Most of my previous vehicles had this feature and I used it whenever the weather was bad. I don't know what things will be like when I start seeing snow in my area, but past experience tells me that my rear view mirror is not going to be too useful when that white stuff starts coming down.
The good news (bad news?) is that the rear window area is teeny compared to older models. Good news is that it's 'easy' space to clean off manually and so small that it trains you not to rely on it on an everyday basis. Bad news in that it's so small that it trains you not to rely on it on an everyday basis. The height of the rear window isn't very high, and the radius of a a wiper would have limited range/effect.

The backend of the Insight is much higher than my older Hondas. At night, I can't see the headlights of a car directly behind me in the rear view mirror/window. I've come to rely more on my side mirrors and positioning them 'properly' to see more of what's behind me. #firstworldproblems

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love almost everything with this car. Perfect in the class. One thing I would hate is the low height of the front of the car. Many times hits the ramps when I get in and out.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
I love almost everything with this car. Perfect in the class. One thing I would hate is the low height of the front of the car. Many times hits the ramps when I get in and out.
The low ground clearance is done to make the car handle better around turns, improve stability at higher speeds, and reduce rollover. This is why I like driving cars more than SUVs.

Just need to be cautious around potholes and parking blocks.
With you on most of these. Have a dark grey touring and love the body style,interior, and mpg (although I average 44mpg with my aggressive driving habits).

Very much dislike the engine drone. Also the lack of lumbar support on front seats is an issue for me and my sore back.

Other than those and a few other minor issues I can’t complain too much and would still consider purchase of the insight over other hybrids- mostly based on style points, ride, and value.
This car is pretty much close to as perfect as you can get considering the asking price. I love doing Prius numbers in the city without having to drive a Prius(attached mpg pic of my drive today). :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K59NYZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
^Can help with lumbar support.

You don't really need to look in the rear view. Trucks and buses don't have one... :p Turning on the rear defroster can help melt the snow.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 105 Posts