Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
Very much dislike the engine drone. Also the lack of lumbar support on front seats is an issue for me and my sore back.
This sounds counterintuitive, but the addition of a neck pillow can help with body angles and feeling of support from the seat. The seats have lumbar support, but it's not an adjustable feature... which would be a nice add from Honda. While we wait on Honda to address, these might be of help in the meantime:

Neck pillow reco - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5...dd-ons/412-drivers-seat-lumbar-support-2.html
Adjustment reco - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/14016-post102.html

·
Registered
384 Posts
Another dislike is just 1 cigarette lighter . My Prius had 2 ( one in the front underneath stereo and one in the middle sliding console.)

But still loving the car .. as it is still kinda new, I take a look back sometimes when I’m parked and walking away from her.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
Another dislike is just 1 cigarette lighter . My Prius had 2 ( one in the front underneath stereo and one in the middle sliding console.)
Ha, at first I thought you smoked a lot and needed extra lighting option. But I'm guessing you used the second outlet for a lighter-to-USB connection? The Civic has an additional USB connector in the console; would've been nice to be included on the Insight as well.

Add rear USB from Civic - gen3insight.com/threads/must-have-accessories-which-ones-with-new-buy-or-not.470/page-2#post-3448
Add 12V outlet for USB adapter - gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/2203-additional-12v-power-outlet-dash-cam-install.html

·
Registered
668 Posts
Alex boozer made an awesome video that he allowed me to host on my channel if you'd like to learn how to add a DC plug in the back. You could follow his instructions and put it in another place if you like.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Ha, at first I thought you smoked a lot and needed extra lighting option. But I'm guessing you used the second outlet for a lighter-to-USB connection? The Civic has an additional USB connector in the console; would've been nice to be included on the Insight as well.

Add rear USB from Civic - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5...must-have-accessories-ones-new-buy-not-4.html
Add 12V outlet for USB adapter - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/5...tional-12v-power-outlet-dash-cam-install.html

Where does one turn to when lost? Some may say the Bible, others may say a friend, but I went to where most people go nowadays: Amazon.com..

I found a 3 into 1 cigarette lighter (with 2 USB ports) on there for ~$10.. oh,I don’t smoke at all, but just using the cigarette lighter port for multiple devices..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love the bright headlights (rated number 1, tied with Tesla). 1st month in and I'm getting well over the EPA estimated range for the Touring model. My co-worker who just picked up a Tesla Model 3 two weeks ago was very happy about her car having Autopilot and Brake Hold (coming from a 3 series BMW). Funny I've had those features from my previous top speck AU 2017 Honda Civic. Delayed headlight shutdown/turn off so I don't need to turn on the garage light coming home. Last but not the least... automatic dimming rear view mirror, I believe this is a must for any car.

What I miss from my old AU spec Thailand built Civic compared to the Insight:
Power folding side mirrors
Power closing the mirrors/moon roof via keyfob, there's been so many times I've walked out of the car only to look back and see that I've forgotten to close the moon roof, with the old Civic, I could just hold on to the remote lock button and it will close any window/moon room if it's open.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
Love the bright headlights (rated number 1, tied with Tesla).
In total, ~50 total cars won the 2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick+ (TSP+) designation, which requires "Good" (highest rating) headlights... so there's (kind of) a 50-way tie. :)

Of these cars, the Insight and Model 3 are in good company among 5 models earning the TSP+ rating with standard features (i.e. no additional options required): Honda Insight (hybrid), Subaru Crosstrek (hybrid), Tesla Model 3 (EV), Genesis G90, and Audi eTron.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks?tspPlusOnly#award-winners
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/26518-post30.html

·
Registered
58 Posts
Love & Hate about 2019 Insight

Hello all,

I would like to share my love and hates about the 2019 Insight Touring:

Love:
1. The car's looks and technology.
2. Pretty seamless ICE activation (After breaking in)
3. Cockpit is well designed and looks better than a 2019 TLX.
4. Brakes feel very linear and natural.
5. No TPMS sensors in wheels!!!!!!! (It is so expensive to replace & reprogram them when the battery dies, the cheapest I could find was Costco @ $45 per piece and $15 labor per wheel.) Honda definitely did the right thing to continue using wheel-speed sensors to monitor tire pressure, unlike Toyota.

Dislikes (Hate is too strong of a word for such a great car):
1. The driver seat does not slide back far enough & lack adjustable lumbar support.
2. The sides of rear seats where the seat belts lay on are hard-touch plastic and feels cheap. Not to mention that seat belt buckle could rattle on it.
3. Uneven trunk panel gap. I tried adjusting the rubber knobs but no success.

Thank you!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The washer fluid fill neck design is completely at odds with what appears to be a generally well sorted and perfectly good looking car that seems capable of providing years of service. I imagine the designer of that atrocity has found new work in the corporate art field by now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Insight Ex - Likes

This is my first hybrid. I really like that it is a nice normal looking sedan. I drive a lot of highway miles, so I expected to be below 50mpg in average milage, but to my surprise I have been able to get 51mpg since April. It was hanging around 52mpg until it started getting colder, and then started dropping some. I'm trying to learn how to get better milage by using battery power as much as possible, and using paddles to use brakes a little as possible, safely of course, and without causing anger in other drivers due to slow speed or acceleration, etc. Been very happy, although I have to admit I was not pleased when I realized I had no spare. I just ordered the Insight spare kit from the dealer to fix my fear.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
This is my first hybrid. I really like that it is a nice normal looking sedan. I drive a lot of highway miles, so I expected to be below 50mpg in average milage, but to my surprise I have been able to get 51mpg since April. It was hanging around 52mpg until it started getting colder, and then started dropping some. I'm trying to learn how to get better milage by using battery power as much as possible, and using paddles to use brakes a little as possible, safely of course, and without causing anger in other drivers due to slow speed or acceleration, etc. Been very happy, although I have to admit I was not pleased when I realized I had no spare. I just ordered the Insight spare kit from the dealer to fix my fear.
Welcome to the forum! The lack of spare is definitely a bitter pill, but I'm thankful Honda at least provided a storage space/option for a solution.

Initial travel of the brake pedal is regenerative, so using both the brake pedal and regen paddle can give more total regen when you combine them. Friction brakes only kick below 10-15 mph and/or in emergency braking situations, so there's a lot of room to play around with combined regen from both.

Friction Brakes - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/1...ion/3384-when-does-friction-braking-kick.html
Regen Paddles - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...ing-batteries/68-how-use-regen-paddles-4.html
Regen vs Brakes - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/2...tures-equipment/2628-paddles-vs-brakes-2.html

·
Registered
259 Posts
I haven't found a thing I didn't like about my 2019 LX. It's just a superb vehicle. . .
(though I wish it had a CD player). . . but I get along with my memory stick okay.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What I wish it had is a "mute" button on the radio for those times you pull up to a menu board to order fast food.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
What I wish it had is a "mute" button on the radio for those times you pull up to a menu board to order fast food.
Mute would be nice. As pseudo-alternatives, the radio can be turned off by pressing the volume knob, or the 'pause' button can be used if listening to Sirius.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Dislikes

There are so many things I love about my 2019 EX that it would be a long post to list them all. So as is typical, I'll just bitch about what I don't like - sure there are a few things I've forgotten.

1. Wind noise around door on both driver and passenger sides.
2. Apple car play won't connect every so often (has happened about 5 times in the past 4 weeks) and requires resetting the head unit which is a royal PITA.
3. Not a lot of center console storage space - but that is a good thing with my wife as she is like a gas and fills all available space.
4. Not too bothered yet with the lack of a spare tire, but I expect I will be hating it when needed.
5. No sunglasses holder - I really miss this from my Accord.
6. Plastic trunk liner (came with the car, I did not pay extra for it - really - long story but I got a few extras even the dealer did not know about) is too slippery and anything in the trunk slides around. I sprayed it with that rubber sealer and also use an old yoga mat which has fixed the problem.
7. No rear charger or USB ports.
8. Surprisingly to me, the fit and finish of the exterior panels don't seem up to the Honda standards. Gas door is not flush when closed and sticks out a bit. Piece of molding was coming lose and I had to glue it back.

That's about it - nothing really major except 1 and 2.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,807 Posts
There are so many things I love about my 2019 EX that it would be a long post to list them all. So as is typical, I'll just bitch about what I don't like - sure there are a few things I've forgotten.

1. Wind noise around door on both driver and passenger sides.
2. Apple car play won't connect every so often (has happened about 5 times in the past 4 weeks) and requires resetting the head unit which is a royal PITA.
3. Not a lot of center console storage space - but that is a good thing with my wife as she is like a gas and fills all available space.
4. Not too bothered yet with the lack of a spare tire, but I expect I will be hating it when needed.
5. No sunglasses holder - I really miss this from my Accord.
6. Plastic trunk liner (came with the car, I did not pay extra for it - really - long story but I got a few extras even the dealer did not know about) is too slippery and anything in the trunk slides around. I sprayed it with that rubber sealer and also use an old yoga mat which has fixed the problem.
7. No rear charger or USB ports.
8. Surprisingly to me, the fit and finish of the exterior panels don't seem up to the Honda standards. Gas door is not flush when closed and sticks out a bit. Piece of molding was coming lose and I had to glue it back.

That's about it - nothing really major except 1 and 2.
  1. Check the door stoppers and screw them in which pulls the doors in further. Apply some silicone grease to the door seals to rejuvenate them to seal the doors better.
  2. Apple CarPlay has been stable for me. Have you try a newer lightning cable?
  3. Less console storage does force you to put less crap in the car but I find it's plenty enough for me personally.
  4. I'm gambling with no spare tire, too. I've gone 1 year 2 months without needing it so far. I live in the city so I should be good with waiting for a tow truck.
  5. Yes, this would be nice and the Japanese Insight comes with one.
  6. I bought the Civic version and it does slide things around.
  7. Some Insight owners here have added a rear cigarette lighter and usb ports themselves.
  8. I had the gas door not sitting flush and got it fixed by the dealership. My Insight does have some alignment & gap issues on the exterior but the interior is normal.
https://youtu.be/VD-9FkrQtkA?t=14
Video above shows what I mean by checking the door stoppers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD49GTS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Here's the Honda silicone grease.

·
Registered
384 Posts
love the gas mileage and reliability at close to 45k miles.. only issue ive had so far was with the rack and pinion electronics that was fixed under 36k warranty and rear doors not closing easily when i first got car, but that has gone away.

i got interesting comments from my ride-share passengers (which i can understand) that the car feels "well-planted and solid" and one passenger told me that when he gets Uber'd in a Prius, it feels as if there are some nuts and bolts that are loose..

·
Registered
384 Posts
forgot to mention the safety features and it being one of the most super safe vehicles straight from factory (makes me feel safer for myself and passengers since im on road alot)..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Touring: no cross traffic alert, blindspot monitor or parking sensors, the right side rear view camera is useless, no lumbar support on the otherwise nice seats, stereo is complete trash compared to any other premium car I have sat in. My fuel door is not flush by design and this is laziness on Honda's part.

·
Administrator
4,510 Posts
Touring: no cross traffic alert, blindspot monitor or parking sensors, the right side rear view camera is useless, no lumbar support on the otherwise nice seats, stereo is complete trash compared to any other premium car I have sat in. My fuel door is not flush by design and this is laziness on Honda's part.
The 2021 Insight is getting Blind Spot Information (BSI) with rear cross-traffic alert; replaces LaneWatch. TBD as to how OEM BSI parts from the 2021 Insight might retrofit onto 2019-2020 model years.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts