Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you can share a few things about your ownership of the 2019+ Honda Insight, what would it be? The most liked or hated, share them with every one I am sure you won't be the only one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
MOST LIKED:

1) Looks are well above and beyond Civic and Accord (to me). Fantastic tail end design, while front end is bold, kinda menacing in a way and yet similar to Accord.
2) MPG - three fuel ups since I bought the car and am averaging around 60 mpg with conservative driving and 90%+ ECO button use.
3) Overall interior design/ ergonomics/ space.
4) Has a gas cap (see my other posting about problem with 2016-2017 Honda Civic capless gas).

5) Transmission control/ operation was easy to get used to after decades of the traditional automatic transmission stick.
6) Sport mode has allowed me to enjoy solid acceleration on highway entrance ramps and coming out of toll booth lanes.
7) On local/ suburban roads with low mph and little need for acceleration, car is very quiet.
8) Ride quality is solid.
9) OEM tires are better than stock tires for most compact vehicles even if they aren't great for cornering and (Michelin Energy Saver) are rumored to be very bad in the snow.
10) LED headlights and taillights (for the most part).
11) Auto lock car by touching drivers door handle in that particular space. Less enthused about auto-open via smart entry...
12) Love the acoustic harmonic music that resonates when starting and accelerating in vehicle (used to warn pedestrians about an otherwise quiet vehicle).

LEAST LIKED:

1) Rear visibility seems considerably inferior to Accord and Subaru Impreza (the latter of which I drove for past six years). I know it is similar to Civic but looks cramped/ tight.
2) Front seat comfort in my EX version was not good on test drive. Special ordered/ purchased high-end ergonomic wedge cushions (seat and back) to completely compensate for uncomfortable seating. Seating is now good purely on that basis. Front passenger seat height is inexplicably low.

3) Occasional and brief weird noises/ sputtering of engine that is quirky. On a related note, sport mode noise racket is ridiculous. Love the acceleration but hate the noise.

4) Periodically, strange timing when Insight chooses to regenerate energy. I may be going 30 mpg but then I will lose EV status and blue bar will go down (losing mpg) and car may regenerate all the way up until 7-8 bars???

5) Why can't the Insight have cupholders - like the Accord - that have the flexible ends (which are more stable and allow for many more cup size differences)? Nonetheless, I particularly do like the one huge cupholder inside armrest.
6) Why can't I have the Prius option of regen paddles that permanently allow me to set brake regen levels - rather than temporary? Given a choice, I would definitely use maximum regen most often. I don't like the idea that I have to hit the paddles many times during each/ multiple drives in order to save cumulative bits of energy at a time.

7) Car did not come with spare tire and it is a bit of an ordeal and needless expense to have to custom order spare tire with related accessories.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hoboken, great list of pros and cons. Much appreciate your posting those!

I was curious about #1 -- rear visibility.

Is that an issue in looking in the rear mirror or over one's shoulder?

Have you gotten used to it? Or, does it remain an issue you're reminded of every now and then?

Do those back pillars interfere with a look over the shoulder?

·
Registered
74 Posts
For me the worst part about rear visibility is the break light hump. It often covers cars behind me tailgating and ultimately made me chose not to get a rear spoiler as that worsened visibility.

Though I came from a Civic and am used to the sloping back windshield and visibility the break light hump was smaller on the civic and easier to see everything behind me.

I’m used to it now though. Even the sounds ... from the quiet heavenly hum driving slowly to the loud sport mode moan is acceptable to me now - like how it’s not a rev of a mustang and sounds more electronic.

That all said I do agree completely on the max regen only being in sport mode. I find myself having to click multiple times in Econ or normal drive mode. Very annoying. I wish Honda made it an option to turn on/off max regen in all drive modes for owners.

What pillow did you get for the seat? Does it stay nice and snug?

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
MOST LIKED:

1) Looks are well above and beyond Civic and Accord (to me). Fantastic tail end design, while front end is bold, kinda menacing in a way and yet similar to Accord.
2) MPG - three fuel ups since I bought the car and am averaging around 60 mpg with conservative driving and 90%+ ECO button use.
4) Has a gas cap (see my other posting about problem with 2016-2017 Honda Civic capless gas).

5) Transmission control/ operation was easy to get used to after decades of the traditional automatic transmission stick.
6) Sport mode has allowed me to enjoy solid acceleration on highway entrance ramps and coming out of toll booth lanes.
7) On local/ suburban roads with low mph and little need for acceleration, car is very quiet.
9) OEM tires are better than stock tires for most compact vehicles even if they aren't great for cornering and (Michelin Energy Saver) are rumored to be very bad in the snow.
11) Auto lock car by touching drivers door handle in that particular space. Less enthused about auto-open via smart entry...
12) Love the acoustic harmonic music that resonates when starting and accelerating in vehicle (used to warn pedestrians about an otherwise quiet vehicle).

LEAST LIKED:

1) Rear visibility seems considerably inferior to Accord and Subaru Impreza (the latter of which I drove for past six years). I know it is similar to Civic but looks cramped/ tight.
2) Front seat comfort in my EX version was not good on test drive. Special ordered/ purchased high-end ergonomic wedge cushions (seat and back) to completely compensate for uncomfortable seating. Seating is now good purely on that basis. Front passenger seat height is inexplicably low.

3) Occasional and brief weird noises/ sputtering of engine that is quirky. On a related note, sport mode noise racket is ridiculous. Love the acceleration but hate the noise.

4) Periodically, strange timing when Insight chooses to regenerate energy. I may be going 30 mpg but then I will lose EV status and blue bar will go down (losing mpg) and car may regenerate all the way up until 7-8 bars???

5) Why can't the Insight have cupholders - like the Accord - that have the flexible ends (which are more stable and allow for many more cup size differences)? Nonetheless, I particularly do like the one huge cupholder inside armrest.
6) Why can't I have the Prius option of regen paddles that permanently allow me to set brake regen levels - rather than temporary? Given a choice, I would definitely use maximum regen most often. I don't like the idea that I have to hit the paddles many times during each/ multiple drives in order to save cumulative bits of energy at a time.

7) Car did not come with spare tire and it is a bit of an ordeal and needless expense to have to custom order spare tire with related accessories.
Least liked #7: Hit up a wrecking yard and grab a compact spare, jack, toolkit and holder form a 2016-2016 Civic. It's a perfect fit on the Insight and will save you boku bucks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Is there a way to get the rear windows to roll all the way down ? I have a 2019 LX..

Also,
I think there may be a hack one day to enable maximum regenerative braking all the time. Maybe I should look into it :) ( of course I should wait until warranty expires to do such a thing if possible )..I was giving it some thought as to why Honda did this (adding paddles) given different driving conditions and it made sense.. but I wish they would’ve gave us the option to turn off/on (permanent and controlled regenerative braking power)..

Perhaps a future model will have it and us 2019/20 owners can retrofit it into our cars.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Is there a way to get the rear windows to roll all the way down ? I have a 2019 LX..
Unfortunately, the rear passenger side windows don't fully 'fit' into the door space it's retracting into... so there's a limit to how low the glass can roll down, and the top of the glass shows above the door frame.

BTW - this is true for all Insight trims (not just LX :) ) and multiple manufacturers. One solution would be for manufacturers to make the rear quarter window larger, but this would also reduce the dimensions of the side window opening.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't recall having windows that roll all the way down for any of the cars I have ever owned. Even my old 2003 Grand Prix GT didn't have windows that would go all the way down. The only cars I can recall that had windows that rolled all the way down in the back may have been - nope, never-mind I can't remember one.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
I can't recall having windows that roll all the way down for any of the cars I have ever owned. Even my old 2003 Grand Prix GT didn't have windows that would go all the way down. The only cars I can recall that had windows that rolled all the way down in the back may have been - nope, never-mind I can't remember one.
LOLZ. Here's one explanation of history from AutoTrader, and examples of a few that do fully roll down:
https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/how-come-rear-windows-dont-roll-all-the-way-down-272199

"For many years, people assumed [not rolling down fully] was a safety feature, [...] so children riding in the back seat couldn't fling themselves out the window while the car was moving, resulting in certain injury or death. [...] The real reason these windows don't roll down all the way is because of automotive door design; the windows rolled down as far as they could before reaching the top of the wheel arch, and then they had to stop, because they simply had nowhere to go. This is the reason why Subaru windows were always angled; Subaru had their windows tilt forward as they went down to allow the windows to drop a little further than windows that went down straight.

There was never a law or regulation preventing windows from going down all the way, and indeed some vehicles had their windows go down all the way, even many years ago; the "XJ" Jeep Cherokee, for example, always had its rear windows go down the entire way, never stopping in the middle like the windows in some cars did.

So why do more windows go down all the way now? Two reasons: One is that automakers have learned customers would prefer windows to go down all the way, either for pets or simply because windows that don't drop all the way look unfinished and poorly designed. The other, I assume, is that cars continue to get larger, which has allowed automakers to pull back rear wheels and rear wheel arches, providing more space for the rear door and more space for the window to drop."

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actually I just remembered my dads old station wagon (Woody).. I think that he also had a Ford LTD that had windows that went down all the way. That's interesting that more cars are being made with windows that go down all the way.. It doesn't matter much to me though, here in FL it's hardly ever a good time to drive with the windows down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With you on most of these. Have a dark grey touring and love the body style,interior, and mpg (although I average 44mpg with my aggressive driving habits).

Very much dislike the engine drone. Also the lack of lumbar support on front seats is an issue for me and my sore back.

Other than those and a few other minor issues I can’t complain too much and would still consider purchase of the insight over other hybrids- mostly based on style points, ride, and value.

MOST LIKED:

LEAST LIKED:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really miss a rear window wiper. Most of my previous vehicles had this feature and I used it whenever the weather was bad. I don't know what things will be like when I start seeing snow in my area, but past experience tells me that my rear view mirror is not going to be too useful when that white stuff starts coming down.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
I really miss a rear window wiper. Most of my previous vehicles had this feature and I used it whenever the weather was bad. I don't know what things will be like when I start seeing snow in my area, but past experience tells me that my rear view mirror is not going to be too useful when that white stuff starts coming down.
The good news (bad news?) is that the rear window area is teeny compared to older models. Good news is that it's 'easy' space to clean off manually and so small that it trains you not to rely on it on an everyday basis. Bad news in that it's so small that it trains you not to rely on it on an everyday basis. The height of the rear window isn't very high, and the radius of a a wiper would have limited range/effect.

The backend of the Insight is much higher than my older Hondas. At night, I can't see the headlights of a car directly behind me in the rear view mirror/window. I've come to rely more on my side mirrors and positioning them 'properly' to see more of what's behind me. #firstworldproblems

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love almost everything with this car. Perfect in the class. One thing I would hate is the low height of the front of the car. Many times hits the ramps when I get in and out.

·
Super Moderator
2,340 Posts
I love almost everything with this car. Perfect in the class. One thing I would hate is the low height of the front of the car. Many times hits the ramps when I get in and out.
The low ground clearance is done to make the car handle better around turns, improve stability at higher speeds, and reduce rollover. This is why I like driving cars more than SUVs.

Just need to be cautious around potholes and parking blocks.
With you on most of these. Have a dark grey touring and love the body style,interior, and mpg (although I average 44mpg with my aggressive driving habits).

Very much dislike the engine drone. Also the lack of lumbar support on front seats is an issue for me and my sore back.

Other than those and a few other minor issues I can’t complain too much and would still consider purchase of the insight over other hybrids- mostly based on style points, ride, and value.
This car is pretty much close to as perfect as you can get considering the asking price. I love doing Prius numbers in the city without having to drive a Prius(attached mpg pic of my drive today). :D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072K59NYZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
^Can help with lumbar support.

You don't really need to look in the rear view. Trucks and buses don't have one... :p Turning on the rear defroster can help melt the snow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
This sounds counterintuitive, but the addition of a neck pillow can help with body angles and feeling of support from the seat. The seats have lumbar support, but it's not an adjustable feature... which would be a nice add from Honda. While we wait on Honda to address, these might be of help in the meantime:

Neck pillow reco - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/412-drivers-seat-lumbar-support-2.html
Adjustment reco - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/14016-post102.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
My last car, a 2010 Prius , had the ability to roll rear windows all the way down. I was just kind of shocked when I found out my Insight couldn’t do it. I was thinking to myself , cmon we’re in 2019. Not the end of the world but a dislike of mine.

Another dislike is just 1 cigarette lighter . My Prius had 2 ( one in the front underneath stereo and one in the middle sliding console.)

But still loving the car .. as it is still kinda new, I take a look back sometimes when I’m parked and walking away from her.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Another dislike is just 1 cigarette lighter . My Prius had 2 ( one in the front underneath stereo and one in the middle sliding console.)
Ha, at first I thought you smoked a lot and needed extra lighting option. But I'm guessing you used the second outlet for a lighter-to-USB connection? The Civic has an additional USB connector in the console; would've been nice to be included on the Insight as well.

Add rear USB from Civic - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/470-must-have-accessories-ones-new-buy-not-4.html
Add 12V outlet for USB adapter - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/564-2019-honda-insight-accessories-add-ons/2203-additional-12v-power-outlet-dash-cam-install.html

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 2008 Civic had 2 cigarrette lighters as well, but honestly - with the 2.5 amp outputs and 2 usb ports, I am fine with just one. And for those of you that have phones that overheat with that amount of current recharging your batteries - right above the screen is a nice little groove that fits a phone sideways just fine and allows the air vents to blow cold air across the phone.. I have used the car several times for DoorDash and Lyft and found that this is the place where the phone is the happiest..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts