Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m pretty sure that the Insight doesn’t have an alternator or a power steering pump (steering is electric).

What other systems have been eliminated?

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,061 Posts
I’m pretty sure that the Insight doesn’t have an alternator or a power steering pump (steering is electric).

What other systems have been eliminated?
A/C is electric and not belt-driven. Gear selector is electronic.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Here are ones (big and small) I can think of, adding to the above. Where something was removed, something else seems to be added in its place.

REMOVED:
1 - Compact Spare Tire & Kit (vs Civic)
2 - Two gallons of gas tank capacity (vs Civic)
3 - CVT transmission (torque converter, pulley/belt)
4 - Manual/cable opeated parking brake
5 - Alternator
6 - Lead Acid 12V Battery (vs Civic)

ADDED:
1 - Compressor/fill pump
2 - High Voltage Battery/IPU
3 - "eCVT" drive force transfer system (2-motor technology + lock-up clutch) --> the Insight still carries 2.3 qt transmission fluid; 40% less than Civic
4 - Electronic parking brake
5 - DC to DC converter (liquid cooled)
6 - AGM 12V Battery

Both the GenX Civic and the Gen3 Insight have electric power steering in common.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,061 Posts
Here are ones (big and small) I can think of, adding to the above. Where something was removed, something else seems to be added in its place.

REMOVED:
1 - Compact Spare Tire & Kit (vs Civic)
2 - Two gallons of gas tank capacity (vs Civic)
3 - CVT transmission (torque converter, pulley/belt)
4 - Manual/cable opeated parking brake
5 - Alternator
6 - Lead Acid 12V Battery (vs Civic)

ADDED:
1 - Compressor/fill pump
2 - High Voltage Battery/IPU
3 - "eCVT" drive force transfer system (2-motor technology + lock-up clutch) --> the Insight still carries 2.3 qt transmission fluid; 40% less than Civic
4 - Electronic parking brake
5 - DC to DC converter (liquid cooled)
6 - AGM 12V Battery

Both the GenX Civic and the Gen3 Insight have electric power steering in common.
Quite a few of us have put removed #1 back! :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
The big one, the insight (vs civic) added a physical volume knob on our infotainment system.
Added full LED headlights, and rear brake lights. (rear turn signals and reverse lights are still old school filament style bulbs)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there still a starter? Some hybrids use the electric motor to start the gasoline engine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Is there still a starter? Some hybrids use the electric motor to start the gasoline engine.
Yes and no. Not a traditional starter. The dual motor/generator starts the gas engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does "dual motor/generator" mean that there are 2 electric motors, one of which can function as a generator?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Does "dual motor/generator" mean that there are 2 electric motors, one of which can function as a generator?
From my understanding yes. I've been corrected a couple times today in my haste to respond :wink:

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
There's no standalone starter; it's instead referred to as an Integrated Starter-Generator (ISG) -
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/17590-post13.html

There are 2 electric motors that work together, creating an "eCVT" transmission -
https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/19204-post4.html

One motor (MG1) starts the ICE when the clutch is open. MG1 can also act as a generator if clutch is open and ICE is running, OR if the clutch is closed and the car is moving. While operating as a generator, MG1 becomes the inverter for the second motor (MG2).

The second motor (MG2) powers the wheels when the clutch is open. When slowing down with ICE off and clutch open, MG2 operates as a generator.

Without an alternator, MG1 and MG2 are both always spinning so one or the other will be a generator and keep the HV battery charged to keep things powered up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The coolant pumps (one for inverter - the other for engine) are both electric along with the AC compressor. I am not sure about the oil pump.. There are no belts, there is an added master brake cylinder that's controlled by a servo (look in the engine bay on the passenger side towards the fire wall - it's turned sideways)..
Pressurized fuel tank with vacuum pump...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
One of the problems with GDI(Gasoline Direct Injection) engines stems from small particles of oil/dirt that can blow back from the crankcase ventilation system and deposit onto the walls of the intake port and the back of the valve. Carbon sticks to the valve because fuel doesn’t spray down the back of the valves like in a port-injected system. The buildup can become significant enough that a piece can break off and damage the catalytic converter. It also can cause ignition problems.

I recently found the above post from someone on the CivicX forum. Nice to know the Insight uses port injection for the gasoline engine. More reasons to get an Insight over a Civic, no worries about carbon buildup, or oil dilution. :wink:

Edit: Found the spec sheet for the Insight.
Two-Motor Hybrid Powertrain

• Total system output: 151 horsepower
  • 1.5-liter, DOHC, i-VTEC® Atkinson-cycle inline 4-cylinder engine
  • Engine output: 107 peak horsepower (SAE net) at 6,000 rpm
  • Engine output: 99 lb.-ft. peak torque (SAE net) at 5,000 rpm
  • i-VTEC® (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control + Electric VTC)
  • Computer-controlled port fuel injection with multi-hole fuel injectors
  • 13.5:1 compression ratio
  • AC synchronous electric traction motor
  • Propulsion motor output: 129 horsepower and 197 lb.-ft. of torque
  • Generator motor
  • Maintenance Minder™ system optimizes service intervals
  • 100,000+/- miles engine tune-up interval
  • Regular Unleaded fuel recommended
  • 60-cell lithium-ion (Li-Ion) battery
  • Electric-servo regenerative braking system
  • Lock up clutch drive force transfer
  • Eight-year/100,000-mile or ten-year/150,000-mile Li-Ion battery limited warranty, depending on the state of purchase/registration
Differences between the 3 generations of Honda's 2-motor hybrid system.
The first-generation of Honda's two-motor system was introduced on the 2014 Accord Hybrid and Accord Plug-In Hybrid. The second-generation system, featuring a more compact and powerful electric propulsion motor and a more efficient lithium-ion battery pack, first appeared on the refreshed 2016 Accord Hybrid, where it was paired with a 2.0-liter Atkinson cycle engine, and more recently on the 2018 Clarity Plug-in Hybrid, where it is paired with a 1.5-liter Atkinson cycle engine. This third-generation system is utilized on both the new Insight and new 2018 Accord Hybrid, each featuring a uniquely-sized engine, motor and battery pack, based on the different size and power demands of the vehicles. Major improvements over the second-generation system include:

• A 32 percent reduction in the size (volume) of the Intelligent Power Unit (IPU), containing the lithium-ion battery pack, made possible by the relocation of the DC-DC converter from the IPU to the Power Control Unit (PCU) and by repackaging the battery cells to reduce structural components.
  • Like in the Accord Hybrid, the DC-DC converter (previously built into the IPU) has been integrated into the PCU. Yet, the new PCU with built-in DC-DC as a unit occupies the same space, helping improve underhood packaging. The propulsion motor adopts a new proprietary magnetic circuit allowing the reduction of heavy rare metals including the complete elimination of dysprosium and terbium.

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
I recently found the above post from someone on the CivicX forum. Nice to know the Insight uses port injection for the gasoline engine. More reasons to get an Insight over a Civic, no worries about carbon buildup, or oil dilution. :wink:
Honda still offers the two lowest Civic trims (LX and Sport) with port / multi-point fuel injection, but 2019 Civic EX trims and higher became direct injection / turbo. (Non-turbo 2016-2018 EX was eliminated at the 2019 Civic refresh.) To avoid the extra and maintenance for a turbo, only the 2018 Civic EX, 2019 Civic Sport and 2019 Insight were on my radar... and it became a no-brainer on which one to choose. Port injection cars are becoming a rare (but reliable) commodity among Honda models...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,326 Posts
Honda still offers the two lowest Civic trims (LX and Sport) with port / multi-point fuel injection, but 2019 Civic EX trims and higher became direct injection / turbo. (Non-turbo 2016-2018 EX was eliminated at the 2019 Civic refresh.) To avoid the extra and maintenance for a turbo, only the 2018 Civic EX, 2019 Civic Sport and 2019 Insight were on my radar... and it became a no-brainer on which one to choose. Port injection cars are becoming a rare (but reliable) commodity among Honda models...
I knew about the oil dilution with the turbo engines when I was shopping for my next car but not the differences between direct injection/port injection until now. Kind of even more glad now that I bought the Insight since I was aiming for at least EX trim if I was to go with the Civic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts