Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

What was the main reason why you choose to buy an LX or EX instead of the Touring?

• Didn't want to spend the extra money (6% extra for the EX over the LX, and 16% extra for the Touring

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Didn't want Leather seats in the Touring.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Didn't want lower MPG or the larger 17" wheels.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Didn't want extra mechanical things that might eventually break (heated seats, moonroof, extra speak

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Didn't want the larger 8" display.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't want the smartphone integration (Carplay and Android Auto)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't want the extra technology in the EX (lanewatch and smart entry)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
There should be an “All of the above” choice.

HomeLink and fog lights would have been nice, but not worth the extra money to me. We have Apple Car Play in our 2017 Subaru and are not fans. I can see some of the upgrades being valuable to someone that spends more time in their car than I do though.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,355 Posts
We touring people are just plain better.
I'm trying to think of a comeback for this, but I'm having trouble. When I come up with something, it will have to do with fluid-filled bushings. C'mon fellow EX people, help me out here! At least we can see down the right-side of our cars, unlike the LX people.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm trying to think of a comeback for this, but I'm having trouble. When I come up with something, it will have to do with fluid-filled bushings. C'mon fellow EX people, help me out here! At least we can see down the right-side of our cars, unlike the LX people.
Us, the EX people, have more head room, and don't have to fiddle with that cranky center channel speaker. :wink:
Not to mention, IIRC, the two highest mpg insights are EX models :angel:

Reactions: hasarad

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
323 Posts
Us, the EX people, have more head room, and don't have to fiddle with that cranky center channel speaker. :wink:
Man I don't know if that's the center speaker but the "premium" sound sytem is garbarge... I had no expectations and I managed to be disappointed..

·
Registered
836 Posts
Man I don't know if that's the center speaker but the "premium" sound sytem is garbarge... I had no expectations and I managed to be disappointed..
I honestly believe that Honda dropped the ball on tuning the premium system. Even with the most basic speakers, enough time spent tuning and processing and you can make it sound great.

I know you found the touring speaker audio system thread, there are suggestions in there on how to tame things out.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
EX owners benefit from:
- Normal wiper controls (vs inaccurate/inconsistent "rain-sensing")
- Higher inner confidence (vs needing chrome to draw attention)
- Higher moral conscience (vs animals killed for seat material)

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
EX owners have $4k more in their pockets

·
Registered
665 Posts
We touring people are just plain better.
Yeah. That's the way to go! Let's all unite against the lowly lx owners!!!! 🤣

·
Registered
665 Posts
Us, the EX people, have more head room, and don't have to fiddle with that cranky center channel speaker. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]
Not to mention, IIRC, the two highest mpg insights are EX models [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/images/NO_BRAND/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/img]
EX owners benefit from:
- Normal wiper controls (vs inaccurate/inconsistent "rain-sensing")
- Higher inner confidence (vs needing chrome to draw attention)
- Higher moral conscience (vs animals killed for seat material)
Okay. You got me on the wipers. They are annoying and cause me to fantasize about choking out small kittens.

Dude! You've seen my videos! I haven't made love to anyone in years! I need all the chrome I can get!

On the third point. If you've seen me doofus out on the videos I think you can make a judgement on how moral I am. I asked Honda about the psychopath option, but alas, they had no human skinned covered seats available. 👹

·
Registered
665 Posts
EX owners have $4k more in their pockets
To be used to buy paper bags to be put over their heads in shame over how cheap they are! *Zing* 🤣

·
Registered
2019 Touring Crystal Black Pearl / Mocha
323 Posts
To be used to buy paper bags to be put over their heads in shame over how cheap they are! *Zing* 🤣
OUCH. Also, isn't the clearance slightly higher on the Touring? I think I read that on reddit or smth.

·
Administrator
4,505 Posts
OUCH. Also, isn't the clearance slightly higher on the Touring? I think I read that on reddit or smth.
Nope - identical ground clearance, per Honda Canada website comparing the Canada Hybrid trim (US EX) to the Canada Hybrid Touring trim (US Touring), attached. All Insights are produced from same/single plant in Greensburg, IN.

Ground clearance - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/313-exterior/636-ground-clearance-2.html
Where built - https://www.gen3insight.com/forum/7-2019-honda-insight-general-discussion/2150-wheres-built.html

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’ve gone over this question in my head many times..if my car was totaled today, would I replace it with another EX or a Touring? And I still don’t know what I would do. The power sunroof is really REALLY enticing and I wouldn’t mind heated seats and a power driver seat. But I love the EX cloth seats and I find the wheel design to be more attractive then the Touring. I’m also scared of the premium stereo after what I’ve read in here. And then there’s the higher mpg ratings of the EX, though I wonder if the difference is really THAT noticeable in the real world.

Honda, if your listening, give the EX a power sunroof and power driver seat standard please! No Honda EX model in the last 30 odd years has lacked a sunroof, so the odd omission is very perplexing!

·
Registered
836 Posts
To be fair, the fiancé actually wanted the Touring. I had to use cost to talk her away from the sunroof, and heated seats. The major feature I compromised on was actually the dual zone climate control. She is always cold, and I'm generally content or too warm.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I purchased the LX because I didn't need the extra screen size and speakers and other bells and whistles the EX had. I'm perfectly content with my little car!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,806 Posts
To be fair, the fiancé actually wanted the Touring. I had to use cost to talk her away from the sunroof, and heated seats. The major feature I compromised on was actually the dual zone climate control. She is always cold, and I'm generally content or too warm.
You can always manually adjust the vents direction and airflow rate manually on your side? :smile:

I think I'm always going to stick near the middle trim from now on. First car, went for the lower trim level and regretted it as I drove the car longer. Then I bought close to the top trim level on my previous 2 cars which I felt like I wasted money. Since some of the features were either gimmicky, didn't work properly, or I just didn't use.

For the Insight, I had to get at least the EX for Apple CarPlay and the Smarty Entry with Walk Away auto lock which I had on my Ford Fusion. These are 2 features that I feel improves your experience with your car everyday. Extra usb port and 60/40 split rear seats are nice options to have on the EX vs LX. The only thing I miss from my Ford Fusion is the heated seats and the side mirrors w/turn indicators which are on the Touring Insight.

·
Registered
836 Posts
You can always manually adjust the vents direction and airflow rate manually on your side? :smile:

I think I'm always going to stick near the middle trim from now on. First car, went for the lower trim level and regretted it as I drove the car longer. Then I bought close to the top trim level on my previous 2 cars which I felt like I wasted money. Since some of the features were either gimmicky, didn't work properly, or I just didn't use.

For the Insight, I had to get at least the EX for Apple CarPlay and the Smarty Entry with Walk Away auto lock which I had on my Ford Fusion. These are 2 features that I feel improves your experience with your car everyday. Extra usb port and 60/40 split rear seats are nice options to have on the EX vs LX. The only thing I miss from my Ford Fusion is the heated seats and the side mirrors w/turn indicators which are on the Touring Insight.
My side has been closed since September, lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's 100% the seats for me. I've never really liked the feel of leather or leather like interior. Always have preferred cloth seats. The gas mileage is the second reason. The only thing I wish I really had from the Touring is the sunroof

·
Registered
11 Posts
It’s funny though, since I bought my EX in mid January, I still haven’t seen any here in Tampa. Every time I think I see one, it’s an accord. Lol
It's same condition even after 2 years, probably because Honda not advertising much and also sales people don't mention about this model unless we specifically ask for it. Not sure why but we specifically wanted to purchase only Insight and finally got after almost a year long wait (due to pandemic).

21 - 40 of 42 Posts