Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing controlled experiments of MPG at 45, 55, 65, 75, 85, 95 and 105 MPH,l
I'm not brave enough to go that fast on the highways here in Florida, but I am curious. Is 105 top speed?? I can't find a definite number on this anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
I'm not brave enough to go that fast on the highways here in Florida, but I am curious. Is 105 top speed?? I can't find a definite number on this anywhere.
The NY Daily News claims that Honda advised top speed of 114 mph in this Oct 2018 article.

However to your point, the quoted top speed varies by source, and the manual doesn't advise.
120 mph top speed quoted by Automobile Magazine, https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019-honda-insight-first-drive/
138 mph top speed quoted by ProfessCars(TM) Estimation, https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2019/2760830/honda_insight_ex.html

·
Super Moderator
2,347 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
So why 160 on the dash? I have only had mine up to 100.
There's mini discussion on it in this Speedometer Gauge Max Speed thread, where @hasarad provided the quote-of-the-year stating "The only way it will go that fast is if you drive it off of a very high cliff. The published top speed is 120mph." (LOLZ)

The consensus was that the max number on the gauge doesn't correlate to the max speed rating for the Insight, and rather, a larger-than-usable number is reflected on most (all?) cars versus what they're actually rated for.

·
Registered
133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,328 Posts
So why 160 on the dash? I have only had mine up to 100.
Using OEM tire ratings as a directional indicator of upper limits, the LX/EX has V rated tires (149 mph max), and the Touring has H rated tires (130 mph max).

Touring = 215 / 50 R17 91H = 130 mph max
LX / EX = 215 / 55 R16 93V = 149 mph max

If the programming/engine/components for all 3 trims is the same AND assuming Honda engineers didn't pick tires that matched max design limit, the tire ratings would suggest top design speed <130 mph... even if the speedometer can register higher.

114-120 mph mentioned above sounds reasonable, assuming a 10-15% threshold from max tire spec.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I wish they had maxed it out at 140 to spread the usable range of speeds further across the dial.
It's been researched, a higher limit on a speedometer triggers an automatic association with "sporty", it's a marketing thing. The only functional reason to have a speedometer go that high, is actually very simple. It puts highway speeds 65-75 near the top center of the speedometer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts