Gen 3 Insight Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tree just grew it’s second branch between 1400-1430 miles (the screen seen after shutting off the car). YAY! When is everyone else hitting this milestone?

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
I looked back through my drive log and found that more specifically, the "second branch" transition happened for me after a 10 mile drive which ended at 1330 miles. Not sure if this makes a difference, but I drive 90+% of the time in Eco mode.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
My tree got all its branches, dropped all of its leaves, was cut down and burned for warmth since I refuse to use the cabin heat in the winter. But seriously, I haven't really looked at the tree in months.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Ha, yes - definitely a new thing for me with this car. This car gives me more data than my prior cars, and well... I'm a big data geek (among many other flawed qualities!). I half-blame @hasarad because part of my tracking started after replicating and expanding the mileage spreadsheet shared in this 'mileage accuracy' thread.
If I was the only driver I might be tempted to go after the data too. But there’s no way I’d ever get my spouse to participate.

·
Super Moderator
2019 OWP Insight EX
1,302 Posts
New owner as well and totally baffled by the trees.

Still on tank 1 and sitting at 300 miles in my Touring and average is showing 45.5 mpg. Pretty happy with that.
If it's the tank you got from the dealer, it was likely short-filled. If you run actual numbers, don't be disappointed if they're much lower than the indicated mileage. I starting tracking actual mpg at my first fill-up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Drive Cycle Score - how to get more leaves?

I find myself settling on Range and Economy. I consider myself 'aggressively' using the paddle's to get as much regen as possible. I try to NEVER let the Charge meter get to the max while braking (because if it does then the next step is mechanical braking (wasteful) right?)

I'm consistently hitting 50mpg in city driving, pretty good right?

So why then why I turn off the car I get the "ECO Rating" and it shows 1/2-1 green leaf? What do I gotta do to get 3 Green Leafs? PUSH it? :)

Doogie

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
I find myself settling on Range and Economy. I consider myself 'aggressively' using the paddle's to get as much regen as possible. I try to NEVER let the Charge meter get to the max while braking (because if it does then the next step is mechanical braking (wasteful) right?)

So why then why I turn off the car I get the "ECO Rating" and it shows 1/2-1 green leaf? What do I gotta do to get 3 Green Leafs? PUSH it? :)
I've seen "few leaves" show up when my drive is too short or if my acceleration is aggressive. Despite your generous regen approach, I think the Eco score also looks at how much gas is used and over what distance.

My examples:
- I've moved my car a short distance to re-park a few times, and get 'no score' or just gray stems.
- I was running late so used the gas more aggressively than normal (e.g. accelerate while going down hills). I don't recall the final score, but that it was less than the 5 leaves I normally achieve. This also happens if I'm in Sport mode and heavy-footed.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
Also just to double check... are you referring to improving your score on the top row or bottom row of leaves?

The bottom row has 3 leaf levels and tracks your cumulative "Lifetime Score." You'll see it gradually progress from left to right as you put more total miles on the car. I transitioned from the 'one leaf' to the 'two leaves' on this bottom row at 1330 miles on the odometer.

The top row tracks your recent "Drive Score" for the trip you just completed before turning the car off. There are 5 stems and 3 leaf levels possible for each stem. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly from the first few drives, I only got one level leaves in the top row until I had more miles on my car. Not sure if this was because my driving improved or if that's how the score starts out... but now if I drive a route that the car doesn't consider too short to score (and I'm not lead-footed), I get 5 stems and 3 leaf levels at the end of each drive in the top row.

I like seeing this 'feedback' at the end of a drive, so I plan to reset this using the attached instructions, if/when I finally reach the last level of the Lifetime Score.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,774 Posts

Doogie
The leaf petals sort of correspond with what lifetime level you're currently at.

Level 1 = 1 petal on all of your leaf stem
Level 2 = 2 petals on all of your leaf stem
Level 3 = 3 petals on all of your leaf stem

Each drive you get rated from 1 - 5 leaf stems. 5 leaf stems is the best.

If you glide/coast with the deceleration paddle while minimizing full stops. Plus staying in the blue range on the power meter when driving. It should help you achieve the 5 leaf stems, and add to your lifetime score to reach to the next level. We've been top told getting the max lifetime score will unlock a trophy which gives a 5mpg boost for our Insights.

I'm kidding about the 5mpg boost after unlocking the trophy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also just to double check... are you referring to improving your score on the top row or bottom row of leaves?

The bottom row has 3 leaf levels and tracks your cumulative "Lifetime Score." You'll see it gradually progress from left to right as you put more total miles on the car. I transitioned from the 'one leaf' to the 'two leaves' on this bottom row at 1330 miles on the odometer.

The top row tracks your recent "Drive Score" for the trip you just completed before turning the car off. There are 5 stems and 3 leaf levels possible for each stem. It's been a while, but if I recall correctly from the first few drives, I only got one level leaves in the top row until I had more miles on my car. Not sure if this was because my driving improved or if that's how the score starts out... but now if I drive a route that the car doesn't consider too short to score (and I'm not lead-footed), I get 5 stems and 3 leaf levels at the end of each drive in the top row.

I like seeing this 'feedback' at the end of a drive, so I plan to reset this using the attached instructions, if/when I finally reach the last level of the Lifetime Score.
You haven’t maxed your tree score yet?? I maxed out at 5650 miles or so and earned the trophy! I might reset it but that sure is a convoluted way to do it.....On another note, at 7k, my oil life monitor is still saying 50% :surprise: Based on that, I shouldn’t need an oil change until 13k which is crazy but cool....saves our precious resources and my pocketbook.

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
You haven’t maxed your tree score yet?? I maxed out at 5650 miles or so and earned the trophy! I might reset it but that sure is a convoluted way to do it.....On another note, at 7k, my oil life monitor is still saying 50% :surprise: Based on that, I shouldn’t need an oil change until 13k which is crazy but cool....saves our precious resources and my pocketbook.
LOL, no - I'm not maxed out yet. I split my drive time between cars and occasionally telecommute, so my first Insight oil change will be triggered by time (1 year) rather than distance.

On the topic of oil life monitor - the system displays values in "10s" but actually represents a range. 50% oil life stays on the display until you fall below 41%, and oil change is recommended at 15% oil life remaining.

So depending on where you actually are in the 41-50% oil life remaining at 7k miles, you might need need an oil change (15% life left) as soon as 11.9k or as late s 14.5k miles. Both are still pretty outstanding numbers/range.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Insight EX (White Orchid Pearl)
2,774 Posts
My mileage varies from year to year. Last year I drove around 16k miles but this year I haven't need to drive much and even when I do my trips are within 5-10 miles. My Insight is 6.5 months old and I just recently pass 3k miles. My oil life remaining is already at 50% probably due to short trips which the Maintenance Minder is factoring as severe conditions as I expected.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Oops, this is it. I was just looking at the bottom row. Last I looked I had 2 leaves on 1 stem across the top. I only have 1052 miles on it, so the average should start building.

Thanks! Doogie

·
Administrator
4,316 Posts
Oops, this is it. I was just looking at the bottom row. Last I looked I had 2 leaves on 1 stem across the top. I only have 1052 miles on it, so the average should start building.
You're well on your way then! The next level of leaves should start showing up for you at 1300-1500 miles. You'll see the bottom row advanced to the "2-leaf" level and your drive score will start showing those as well. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
At roughly 4800 miles I maxed out the lifetime, I believe, just to give you guys an idea of around where the lifetime meter fills if you drive pretty averagely.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm getting a consistent 50-51 mph

At roughly 4800 miles I maxed out the lifetime, I believe, just to give you guys an idea of around where the lifetime meter fills if you drive pretty averagely.
I drive conservatively (although I swapped with my wife for her 2015 Prius today, and I might not have been so nice t her fuel tank - PWR Mode can be fun every now and then :wink:)

I'm well on my way to a whole tree showing up on my dashboard!

Thanks gang,

Doogie

1 - 19 of 19 Posts